I just don't understand....

Options
Can someone please explain to me how in a two hour period I can eat 1 oz of raw almonds and gain .6 pounds? All that entered my body was 1 oz of almonds in that period. Nothing else.

Replies

• ValkyrieOnline
    ValkyrieOnline Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Did you peeps/poops, before or after you weight yourself? You might have a full tank!
  • sifmole
    sifmole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Angela - Nope. The only change in the two hour period was eating 1oz of raw almonds. No other output or input.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    but to answer your questions, scales are not always perfectly accurate to the decimal point...body weight also fluctuates - sweat, pee, poo, water weight retention from different temperatures...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Inexpensive scales can be that inaccurate, especially if the battery is low.
    It's not unheard of to weigh yourself, have a bowel movement, weigh again and get a higher reading than before pooping.
    I find it most helpful to only weigh once a week, on the same day, first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating. I also try not to get too caught up on any one reading and focus on the trend. Losing over time? Maintaining? Gaining?
  • mfranz42
    mfranz42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2/3 times per week and always at the same time 4am to ensure that I am getting a true read. I can fluctuate between 3-6 lbs from my true weight:(
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    sifmole wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me how in a two hour period I can eat 1 oz of raw almonds and gain .6 pounds? All that entered my body was 1 oz of almonds in that period. Nothing else.

don't weigh yourself hourly unless you're simply curious, doing it to gauge fat loss or gain is ridiculous and going to set you up for serious stress and anxiety. if you want to weigh often, weigh daily and get a trending app to smooth out the natural fluctuations and show you your trend over time. happy scale works for ios and trend weight works for android.

weight loss isn't linear. make that your mantra if you need to.
    mfranz42 wrote: »
    I weigh myself 2/3 times per week and always at the same time 4am to ensure that I am getting a true read. I can fluctuate between 3-6 lbs from my true weight:(

there really is no 'true weight' you're always going to be in flux with varying levels of water retention, food and waste in your body, etc. and that will be reflected in a range of weights.

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If you must weigh yourself frequently, do so at the same time of the day, under the same conditions. Weighing a few hours apart will vary due to a variety of factors. Obsess with your food scale, not the body scale.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    mfranz42 wrote: »

The fluctuations aren't bad, it's how our bodies function.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Just to weigh in here (pun intended, haha), I weigh myself every day (I'm in a period of tracking fluid retention for other reasons), my weight can change up to 2kg day to day (I've even seen a whopping 9kg....that was unusual though!!).

But I'm curious, why WERE you weighing yourself hourly? Curiosity?
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Concerned by this post, a bit! The scale is nothing to be afraid of. Your body fluctuates massive amounts day in and day out from water retention, waste, sweat -- everything. Eat a few high-sodium meals out and you'll see some water retention for sure (even upward 5-10 pounds!). Do an intensive, sweaty, hour-long workout and you can lose 3-5 pounds! That's not fat.

I weight daily. I don't pay much attention. I just log. If you weigh everyday, you can plug in a "trend-line" in Excel.

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-12%20at%2010.36.59%20AM.png

I wasn't alarmed when I "spiked" to 194 on July third, because I knew it was just another temporary fluctuation.

Barring an eating disorder, I think the best way to "beat" the scale-phobia is use it every day and track progress.