Getting more Protein into my diet?

Options
Hello everyone,

I've recently had a few PT sessions at my local gym and the trainer is telling me that I should be eating more protein - my diary is unlocked if anyone wishes to look - I really struggle with this as I am not a great fan of nuts or nutty milk. I am lactose intolerant and I only like the specific milk that I buy. Can anyone please suggest ways of me getting more protein into my diet through normal foods? I don't fancy buying protein shakes but this may be my only option soon...

Thank you! :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How much protein are you trying to get? Has the trainer given you a gram amount they suggest?

Nuts and nut milk are a poor source of protein imo.

I would start meal planning by adding a protein source first - eggs, meat/fish/seafood, lactose free dairy, tofu/tempeh/seitan, plus beans/legumes, higher protein grains/grain products. I get quite a bit from vegies, but I eat a lot of vegies!

ETA - your diary isn't unlocked...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nuts and milk aren't very good sources, contrary to common perception. Meat, seafood/fish, eggs, yogurt (Greek, in particular), cheeses (some, but much like nuts some aren't worth the fat for the protein)...
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I struggled with eating enough protein for a year (I don't like lean meats and fish very much) and then I got flavoured protein powder and now my morning shakes are my favourite meal of the day as they are so yummy. I can also easilly get 100g of protein daily now.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed but look to getting a chunk of protein in every meal.

Chicken, Beef, Fish, lean pork (bacon is probably best considered a fat source) are a good starting point but others are:

Eggs
    Cottage Cheese and lower fat Yogurts and soft cheeses.
    Tuna/Mackerel (can be high fat though)/Salmon

• charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Get some protein shakes - They WON’T bulk you up.

Some taste great… Always found optimum nutrition whey protein is the best for flavour and tastes less like a typical protein shake.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Yep, as others have said lean meats, fish, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites... Nuts, aside from powdered peanut butter, are a good source of fats, not protein. Protein powders can be useful for things other than strictly protein shakes. They are good mixed with Greek yogurt or used to make pancakes, muffins, or whatever. I have some peanut butter flavored protein powder that I mix into my oatmeal. Some vegetables such as cauliflower also have a decent amount of protein and it adds up. Build each meal around a protein source and you will find it is actually pretty easy to meet your goals.
  • sparkle126
    sparkle126 Posts: 132 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Get some protein shakes - They WON’T bulk you up.

Some taste great… Always found optimum nutrition whey protein is the best for flavour and tastes less like a typical protein shake.

This
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lentils
    beans
    TUNA
    Chia seeds
    Egg whites
    Protein bars
  • jessiecollinsxo
    jessiecollinsxo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone, I thought My diary was unlocked to everyone, it is now actually unlocked :)

thank you for all the comments, I will have a read through when I get out of work! <3
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You don't seem to be a vegetarian, so the easiest sources are lean meats (including fish and shellfish). Dairy, especially low fat dairy, is great, not milk so much, but greek yogurt or cottage cheese (but if those are also a problem for you you certainly don't need them).

Easiest way is to make sure you get a minimum amount at all meals. Nuts aren't a good source at all, so don't worry about that. Eggs are okay (I usually get protein at breakfast with eggs plus some cottage cheese or greek yogurt), egg whites are really high protein for the calories, but I personally like whole eggs. Beans and lentils are good non meat options, as are soybean-based foods (black soy beans are a recent discovery of mine, from someone else at MFP, plus, of course, tofu and tempeh, edamame).

Mostly from a quick look at the diary, your protein seems a little low at breakfast which might make it harder -- maybe there's a protein source you would enjoy working into breakfast? Dinner is usually fine, lunch is low-ish because you choose perhaps smaller amounts or lower protein sandwich fillings? (I just don't know what turkey trimmings are, but turkey breast is usually a really good protein source). Once I realized the most recent day is missing dinner it didn't seem that off -- a good rule of thumb is to aim for around .65-.8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, no need for more. Some days the goal was around 148 or so, and that's not going to be necessary.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Quick look at your diary and I'd say the thing that jumped out at me is that your breakfasts are protein free. Whilst not a problem in itself, if you're trying to up the protein, this is a meal that it is easy to get some in.

Anything eggs based will have more protein that your usual cereal options or look into overnight oats made with yoghurt.

Snacks which I use which pack a protein punch are - Tuna mayo (I use a full tin of tuna and about 20g of light mayo or salad cream) on rice cakes or boiled eggs. Note that neither of these options make me Mr Popular in the office but, to be honest, they all think I eat weird stuff anyway.
  • jessiecollinsxo
    jessiecollinsxo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! Its been really helpful! Will have to look at different things and buy them... need to find a good cheap protein shake too. Maybe I could mix that in with my porridge in the morning :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do 140g protein a day and very rarely use protein shakes - honestly because I find that they taste icky

my go-to's - chicken breast/shrimp (4oz is about 22g protein)/pork tenderloin/turkey for leaner cuts

Salmon for slightly higher fat and higher protein
    Steak for even fat/protein (roughly) - if you go with like a ribeye type cut

non-meat sources - greek yogurt (15g protein in a cup); cheese (equal fat/protein roughly); eggs/egg whites
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have you tried fairlife milk - it is lactose free (I believe) - and is higher in protein/lower in fat
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! Its been really helpful! Will have to look at different things and buy them... need to find a good cheap protein shake too. Maybe I could mix that in with my porridge in the morning :)

When I have oats I usually add some protein powder.

Another option I enjoy are savory oats -- I add a runny egg or two and some veg chopped up to my oats.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I drink a 60g protein shake every morning with my breakfast. It's about 300 calories made with water, tastes good, and helps me reach my daily goal. I also eat a lot of meat, but the shakes still help. An extra 30-60g of protein would get you closer to your daily goal, you may just need to cut out some of the snacks to have enough calories for it.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I just recently had my doctor tell me that my protein level is a little low. While I pretty much know what foods are high in protein and I thought I was eating a pretty good amount each day apparently not enough for my body. He suggested I eat beans, legumes and lentils. I do not even know what a legume is, but I have added more fish and I add protein powder to my cottage cheese and yogurt daily to see if it helps.