The Biggest Loser: anyone else addicted?

Options
dree77
dree77 Posts: 52
I'm not a fan of reality tv, but when it comes to weight loss shows, I am - especially the biggest loser! I love how the show is all about exercise and nutrition, not pills and surgery. It's proof that diet and exercise - and a lot of dedication - really does work. I love it also because when I'm feeling lazy and not into working out, or feel like hitting a drive thru after work, I think of this show and it helps me make smarter choices.

Anyone else watch this or other weight loss shows?

Replies

• hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I love the show. I find it interesting, motivating and I love to see how they look at the end!
  • slybaby
    slybaby Posts: 125
    Options
    I love watching the show...if they can do it...i can do it!
    I find it very motivating:)
  • RickyBobby07
    Options
    I love the show, I met Ashley , from the pink team, at a health fair that we have here in Knoxville, her mother sometimes comes into the store where I work but when I see her I want to talk to her but im too late because im usually in the back stocking. Ashley is actually a fitness trainer at the D1 facility here. Bob & Jillian are in my head all the time whenever im on the treadmill or doing any kind of exercise. lol !!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I do like the show, and try not to miss an episode. It is good to encourage a more sensitive view of obese people and their tremendous struggles. But I do have a couple of problems with it. Even though there are doctors around to keep an eye on people, I wonder why they make the contestants run, it just seems like it would be damaging to their joints. And don't people need to learn to enjoy exercise, not physically beat themselves up so much that they are discouraged? I know, it's for the drama, the ratings......
  • dree77
    dree77 Posts: 52
    Options
    I do like the show, and try not to miss an episode. It is good to encourage a more sensitive view of obese people and their tremendous struggles. But I do have a couple of problems with it. Even though there are doctors around to keep an eye on people, I wonder why they make the contestants run, it just seems like it would be damaging to their joints. And don't people need to learn to enjoy exercise, not physically beat themselves up so much that they are discouraged? I know, it's for the drama, the ratings......

I agree with you there - I Know Jillian has this 'tough love' approach, but honestly sometimes she just comes across as a *****. She's really rough and even though I feel I'm a tough girl I probably would have quit just cause of that. I agree its for the drama/ratings, and I think it's okay to push someone out of their comfort zone so they can see what they are capable of, but sometimes it seems like too much too soon - this is a completely new lifestyle for them, and while I agree its good to grab the bull by the horns, sometimes people need to ease in to this kind of lifestyle, especially in a mental and emotional sense.
  • richardmbunn
    richardmbunn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I adore the show and have never missed an episode. I recently started downloading them and am watching from the beginning again. I've never watched the Australian one as it's spread over daily episodes and I just find that too tedious. I actually recently applied to go on the UK one but haven't heard back yet even though a friend of mine has so I think I can write that one off until next year.
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options
    One week between weigh ins on the show can be 2-3 weeks in real life. That's my only issue.
  • richardmbunn
    richardmbunn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One week between weigh ins on the show can be 2-3 weeks in real life. That's my only issue.

Never knew that.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love the biggest loser too. I've seen the US version and the UK version. They seem to lose soooo much weight. I'm a big fan of the before and after bit on the last episode.

If only I didn't have to go to work and could live in a big house, where someone tells me what exercise I need to do everyday!!!

I don't envy the horrible outfits they make them wear for the weekly weigh-ins!!!! Lycra is not a good look unless you are a skinny-minnie :wink:
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    jullian michaels had me scared to death of going to gym. when i seen this program that was offered back in 09 the fitness center i had to ask if it was going to be like the show because i didn't want to be yelled at. i kinda thought all trainers where like jullian and bob. boy was i wrong. i love the show just not crazy about the name loser it's so derogatory and demeaning. then with this new season they are replacing jullian with little skinny russian girl who i personally don't think she has what it takes to motivate anyone. she hasn't been a plus size period. so you can say i'm not watching this season to come just because i don't relate to anna what ever her last name is. sorry