Intermittent Fasting/Intermittent Workouts

Options
I started intermittent fasting this week (16:8), and because of my work schedule, I'm only able to do fasted workouts 3 days out of the week. I was curious on opinions of how effective that'll be because from what I've seen, most people do their fasted workouts daily. Thanks!

Replies

• jennyf55
    jennyf55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started intermittent fasting too. I am trying to more closely trying to follow a 24 hr fast but sometimes it's more like an 18:6. I am reading Dr. Jason Fung's book "The Obesity Code." I have Diabetes also this book is so enlightening into the stupidity of dieting. Even my personal doctor is impressed with my results and can see me being off all my diabetic medications in the near future. I am already completely off my insulin injections. That is a milestone to say the least. I am losing weight at a regular rate. My only exercise has been walking, other than yard and housework. Go to YouTube and lookup Dr. Jason Fung and listen to some of his videos. You might also be impressed as I was. It might also answer a lot of questions about fasting too.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do IF as well 16:8 typically and I tend to only do 2 fasted workouts a week and only because I will throw up if I do HIIT with in 2-3 hours of eating. The rest of the week, I break my fast with my first meal, then an hour or two later I do my workout.

Theres very little proof that fasted workouts do anything more than non fasted, it mostly comes down to what makes you feel the best, and works the best for you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry about doing all your workouts fasted. My fasted workouts are only 0-2 per week depending on how much I workout on weekends. I've gone other periods doing more because of my schedule, there's no big benefit either way
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I only do mine fasted daily b/c it's hard enough to get to the gym at 5am...getting up earlier to eat? No way.
  • nati777
    nati777 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @vismal I workout at least 5 days out of the week. I'm pretty consistent.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    nati777 wrote: »
    I started intermittent fasting this week (16:8), and because of my work schedule, I'm only able to do fasted workouts 3 days out of the week. I was curious on opinions of how effective that'll be because from what I've seen, most people do their fasted workouts daily. Thanks!

How effective for what?
    Fat loss, a good strong workout, feeling like they've eaten enough, ect?

I eat after my workouts almost always now, until my riding gets longer than 2 hrs or I desire faster.

If I do my lifting too late in the day, I'm negatively effected the later I get.

What are you imagining is the benefit of a fasted workout, and what type of workout 5 days a week?
    Guessing cardio.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to workout fasted.
    To me is a preference though, I train better on an empty stomach