Options

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    LinserSE wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    You don't need to exercise in order to lose weight but as @jessiferrrb has said there are other benefits, it doesn't have to be intentional exercise you can just increase your activity level by walking.

Looking at your diary I just have one question - why are you eating so little? Your calorie allowance already includes a deficit.

Take a look at this thread here to understand how you calorie allowance is calculated and why what you're doing isn't wise. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
    you don't need to exercise to lose weight. there are a ton of benefits to exercising, including cardiovascular health, strength, maintenance of lean body mass, but to just lose weight / fat you only need to be in a caloric deficit. you can accomplish that by only restricting calories in via your diet.

For as low as my activity is, how low should my intake be to ensure I am in a caloric deficit??... I dont know how many calories I burn a day just by doing my daily routine... Do you/does anyone know what a good way to find out would be??

MFP does that for you. That's what happened when you filled in your details and it gave you an allowance.

Because of my lifestyle right now, I feel bad if I eat anymore than I do not and I dont really feel the need to eat anymore... Maybe I am too hard on myself... I just have a terrible relationship with food and I've changed a lot... I think I'm just scared if I allow myself any more I'll go back to my old ways... and I followed your link and entered my info, its telling me 2074-2667 calories, which I couldnt even imagine consuming in a day xD MFP before I changed my goal said 1,610, but I would usually never reach it so I made the goal a little smaller...

How is eating the default minimum going to help you change your relationship with food? If you can't reach 1,610 calories now, how are you going to do during maintenance?

Perhaps you are being to strict. Just change the habits you can change forever. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. It's not about eating perfectly "healthy" whatever your definition is.

Because you don't have time for exercise, a really large deficit is going to go against you even more. I never liked strength training BUT I know that is one thing that can protect the lean muscle mass I already have....another protector is a moderate deficit (the 3rd protector is adequate protein).

Maybe I am... I just see so much bad in every kind of food I eat... BUT someone also pointed out earlier I'm likely eating more than I realize with using default foods on here... So once I get accurate, I'll work on improving my intake v. outtake, and I'm going to try and find a way not to psych myself out when I realize I ate something that wasn't as good for me as I thought it was or a little bit more of something than I originally anticipated I would... I just hope I get to that 'maintenance' stage some day...

There is no 'bad' food. All foods are made up of a combination of fats, carbs, and protein (except alcohol). There are sub-optimal diets, however, which is how many of us got fat to begin with.

OP- it sounds like you're putting too much pressure on yourself to eat perfect and then getting discouraged when your daily intake doesn't go as planned. I'd start with cutting yourself a break. Since you're just starting at this, maybe don't even worry about the calories goal yet. You've identified that you don't have a great relationship to food; I suspect that a good first step is just to take an accurate look at what you're eating without judgment. Remember that no foods are 'bad'. Some will help you get to your goals better than others. Once you get that scale and start accurately logging, look at where you can make small changes to get better nutrition. Maybe instead of 1.3 cups of rice (from your diary), you'll be satisfied with .75 cup of rice and more veggies. Perhaps instead of a cherry pop-tart, you'll be happier with a piece of toast and .5 cup of fresh cherries. Whatever it is, satiety is a very individual thing and no two people are going to have the exact same macro breakdown.

[/quote] I'm going to try and find a way not to psych myself out when I realize I ate something that wasn't as good for me as I thought it was or a little bit more of something than I originally anticipated I would [/quote]

THIS ^^^ is the right attitude. Also, for what it's worth, most successful losers on here still have candy, and chips, and fast food from time to time.
  • LinserSE
    LinserSE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It sounds like first you need to address your issues with food - there are no bad foods, you are not bad for eating certain foods, you are not bad for eating an appropriate amount of calories to fuel your body and your active lifestyle.

You said you don't know how much you want to lose but want to lose as much as possible, that doesn't sound like a healthy mindset either. You need to figure out where you are currently, what a healthy goal weight would be for yourself, what a reasonable rate of loss would be (hint - if less than 25 lbs to lose, you should be aiming to lose no more than 0.5 lb/week). Losing too quickly, and/or eating too little - has a lot of negative effects: loss of lean body mass, hair loss, brittle nails, sallow skin, fatigue, sometimes even organ damage if you are consistently eating very low calories.

Spend some time reading the stickied Most Helpful Forum Posts at the top of each section. The Getting Started section in particular, like these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

and this collection: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Good luck.

The recommend to get me in the upper half of my BMI would be 145... translating to 135 to lose... wow... that's a whole person...0.0 Anywho, thanks for the wishes and advise!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If its overwhelming to think of the big picture/goal weight: then focus 5 pounds at a time. I started at 178.5. (Well, I'd been heavier before but the last time I started losing weight, this was my #.) So I looked forward to getting under 175. Then to being under 170. And so forth.
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KA7WL7W - This scale is accurate and pretty darn cheap.

A scale is eriuosly one of the best things you can purchase to help with your weight loss. Humans in general SUCK at estimating weights of foods. The 3 oz you think you're having may very well be 5 or 6 oz. Grab a scale, your weight loss will thank you.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    It sounds like first you need to address your issues with food - there are no bad foods, you are not bad for eating certain foods, you are not bad for eating an appropriate amount of calories to fuel your body and your active lifestyle.

You said you don't know how much you want to lose but want to lose as much as possible, that doesn't sound like a healthy mindset either. You need to figure out where you are currently, what a healthy goal weight would be for yourself, what a reasonable rate of loss would be (hint - if less than 25 lbs to lose, you should be aiming to lose no more than 0.5 lb/week). Losing too quickly, and/or eating too little - has a lot of negative effects: loss of lean body mass, hair loss, brittle nails, sallow skin, fatigue, sometimes even organ damage if you are consistently eating very low calories.

Spend some time reading the stickied Most Helpful Forum Posts at the top of each section. The Getting Started section in particular, like these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

and this collection: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Good luck.

The recommend to get me in the upper half of my BMI would be 145... translating to 135 to lose... wow... that's a whole person...0.0 Anywho, thanks for the wishes and advise!

Glad you are asking for advice and learning at the beginning of your weight loss efforts - it bodes well for you being successful. Once you get your logging nailed down you will be well on your way. As others have said, don't think of foods as "good" or "bad" - they are all just foods. Having foods you enjoy that help you meet your goals makes the whole process so much more enjoyable and sustainable!

And I had to lose 127 pounds to get to the upper half of my BMI so it took awhile. I found just focusing on the day to day rather than the far out goal really helped. I'd set daily goals for myself and a lot times they were "I'm going to get X grams of veggies today" or "I'm going to walk X number of steps" but sometimes they were indulgent goals. Like "I'm going to spend 30 minutes taking a bubble bath and ignoring everyone."

Best of luck to you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    First thread, here we go!(:

You know the typical story of "I just don't have time to go to the gym". Well, during the week I am living proof that this statement can sometimes be true. I work a 7-5 stressful job, get home at 6, then babysit until 10:30 at night, shower, and repeat. I've tried taking them to my gym, Anytime Fitness, but no ones allowed in without a membership past 8, but more importantly than that, they don't allow kids.

So what do I do? Try to work out on weekends, of course! But, more often than not, I'm stuck shopping and taking care of normal every-day things I'm not able to do during the week because of my schedule. I also do not have the opportunity to go to bed early enough during the week to be able to wake up and work out in the morning.

So, the big question: with a white-collar office job, not having a whole lot of activity, and averaging about 1 trip to the gym a week, how can I still lose weight?? I follow what I think is a pretty good diet ( reference open diary pleasec: ) and try to stay as low on calories as possible because I am aware of my situation... ANY and all advise is much appreciated

I need to ask one quick question first - you said "babysit" so I assume they are not your kids? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options

I agree with everyone else - don't focus on that.

Focus on today. Focus on staying within your calories today. Logging everything you eat, weighing all solids on a food scale in grams, and measuring all liquids. Wake up and repeat.

If you go over one day don't beat yourself up. We all have days we go over. Just keep going.

The best advice I can give you? Don't make any changes you can't sustain. Better to lose the weight slowly making changes you can sustain for the rest of your life than crash diet and gain it all back.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ps-you have many unlogged days.

What are your current stats? How much are you trying to lose? When did you start counting calories?

The short answer to 'how do I lose weight' is to accurately and honestly log your calories, every day, and have patience. At the rate of .5-1 pounds per week for most women (more if you weigh more), weight loss takes months rather than days/weeks.

Ahh, gotcha, and I definitely will start being more accurate. I am going to take the kids out tonight and find out. Ill go the the gym and weigh myself really quick (my scale broke) and serious tracking has been off and on for a long time, has been inconsistent, which I'm done doing... I want to be better at it. And I know a lot of those days in between tracks I was not eating anything, or just drank coffee... or just ate a pack of gummies... I had a pretty bad day a few days before and it made me kinda edgy about eating, and without even knowing it, a couple days had gone by and I felt like garbage...

I suggest that you get a new battery for your own scale, if that's what's needed, or go to Goodwill and get another scale for home use. It is most accurate and consistent to weigh yourself at home, first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking. Later in the day you will weigh more and it will fluctuate more due to clothing, what you've eaten that day, and generally just how the body works. I gain 3-5 lbs before 8am and noon every day.

You also can read the sticky threads at the top of this forum and the Fitness forum for tons of tips and info.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I agree with others, don't get overwhelmed by the big number, look for incremental wins. Here is my standard advice:

Set up MFP with current stats, goal, reasonable rate of loss (2 lbs/week is reasonable for the amount you have to lose), and an appropriate activity level (might be sedentary, might be lightly active depending on how busy those kids keep you).
    MFP will calculate a calorie target for you without exercise factored in.
    Eat a variety of foods you enjoy to achieve that target (not undercutting it), focusing on foods that provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety (fill you up) and enjoyment (remember there are no bad foods in moderation).
    Log everything you eat as accurately and consistently as possible, ideally using a food scale.
    Exercise if you enjoy it and have time (doesn't have to be at the gym), logging and eating back a portion of those calories.
    Be patient, monitor and adjust over time.

And really, read the stickied posts. They are a wealth of information.

• Dianetheinvincible
    Dianetheinvincible Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit confused by your question--when you set up MyFitnessPal, it generates a calorie goal for you. Do you not trust their calculation?

I agree with others that making sure your food entries are really accurate is super important. Using a scale is super helpful. They are cheap on Amazon or I bought one at a local discount store, Grocery Outlet.

I also agree with others that you can 1) increase your daily non-"exercise" activity, such as taking stairs whenever possible, and walking more (for example, park farther away from your destination so you have to walk a little bit more), playing more active games with the kids you're babysitting, etc. You can also do some stretches and isometric-type exercises at your desk (just Google for some ideas).

Also agree with those who suggested working out at home. Workout videos on YouTube are free. You can also Google some exercises and choose a few that appeal to you and start making them a habit.

Don't be too aggressive with your goals. It took time to put the weight on, and it will take time to take it off again. Just be diligent and really experience your successes, when you see you've lost a pound or two, give yourself credit for that and let it motivate you. Rather than focusing on how many pounds you still have to lose, and letting it depress you (and possibly lead to giving up or binging or blowing off keeping up your MyFitnessPal entries).

My final suggestion for you is take it a little easier on yourself. We all have our challenges, and everyone here obviously has challenges with food, so it's not like you are some kind of freak or defective human being. There are reasons we are where we are. Remember that so you don't feel like you need to get down on yourself!!!!
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi and you are not alone, single mum of two here and working full time. Attending a gym is not an option unless I want to shell out more for childcare, and firstly that's expensive and secondly I like spending time with my two. I have been walking as my main form of exercise since I started in Jan. I've lost 44lbs since then, I've included strength training at home by using kettlebells and body weight exercise. And I promise my diary is full of foods such as jelly sweets, biscuits ( cookies) and wine.Obviously I eat plenty of fruit, veg and protein too. As long as I keep to be calorie goal I've had no issue with losing weight. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Most people take this thing in chunks with short term goals and long term goals.
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Op please eat more than 1200 cals if you are 275 lbs. I was losing 3 lbs a week (too much,) last year at 252 eating 1800 cals a day without any purposeful exercise. Also with 4 kids (me to) it's impossible to be sedentary.
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good, bad and ugly...you gotta (accurately) log every single thing, every single day. There are definitely days when I am eating at maintenance or above, an extra craft beer or an extra cookie that puts me just over the top, but f'it, because it's accountability between me and my goals.
  • LinserSE
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

Good luck.

Glad you are asking for advice and learning at the beginning of your weight loss efforts - it bodes well for you being successful. Once you get your logging nailed down you will be well on your way. As others have said, don't think of foods as "good" or "bad" - they are all just foods. Having foods you enjoy that help you meet your goals makes the whole process so much more enjoyable and sustainable!

And I had to lose 127 pounds to get to the upper half of my BMI so it took awhile. I found just focusing on the day to day rather than the far out goal really helped. I'd set daily goals for myself and a lot times they were "I'm going to get X grams of veggies today" or "I'm going to walk X number of steps" but sometimes they were indulgent goals. Like "I'm going to spend 30 minutes taking a bubble bath and ignoring everyone."

Best of luck to you!

Haha, well I really want to give myself a fair shot at being healthy, its very important to me and I think its best to ask the people who have done it or are doing the same thing as I am right now, so I really appreciate everyones feedback thus far!(:

I just started using a food scale yesterday and I also bought a bathroom scale to weigh myself weekly, so hopefully those things will help me set goals that I can more easily see now (: also, I need to start doing that... Im terrible with setting goals because once I do I either complete them and feel awesome or I dont and get super depressive and down about everything... I need to get better at that.. Hahaha, the last example is my mood today xD Thank you for the wishes and bust of luck to you as well!(:
  • LinserSE
    Options
    kam3190 wrote: »
    Op please eat more than 1200 cals if you are 275 lbs. I was losing 3 lbs a week (too much,) last year at 252 eating 1800 cals a day without any purposeful exercise. Also with 4 kids (me to) it's impossible to be sedentary.

I ate 999 yesterday but I'm trying to find more calorie dense foods I can eat without wrecking my nutrition goals for the day... I have no balance yet... I need more protein most days and more fats than carbs, but idk what foods I can substitute/add on to make this happen...
  • LinserSE
    Options
    pennygm72 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say hi and you are not alone, single mum of two here and working full time. Attending a gym is not an option unless I want to shell out more for childcare, and firstly that's expensive and secondly I like spending time with my two. I have been walking as my main form of exercise since I started in Jan. I've lost 44lbs since then, I've included strength training at home by using kettlebells and body weight exercise. And I promise my diary is full of foods such as jelly sweets, biscuits ( cookies) and wine.Obviously I eat plenty of fruit, veg and protein too. As long as I keep to be calorie goal I've had no issue with losing weight. Good luck!

Wow, really great, good for you!(: I'm sure youll keep it up and keep going!(: Also, I'm glad I got all this affirmation that its feasible for me to not go to the gym right now and still having the opportunity to lose weight, music to my ears!(:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kam3190 wrote: »

I ate 999 yesterday but I'm trying to find more calorie dense foods I can eat without wrecking my nutrition goals for the day... I have no balance yet... I need more protein most days and more fats than carbs, but idk what foods I can substitute/add on to make this happen...

MFP does a lousy job explaining this. Your macros are targets. It's ok to go over them. (It's also ok to manually adjust them for ratios that work better for you.) The thing to not go over is the calorie goal. However, at 1200 calories with your stats, your calorie goal is too low.

If you want more protein and fat, one easy way to accomplish that is with red meat. (Unless you are vegetarian or vegan - please advise if this is the case.)
  • LinserSE
    Options
    I'm a little bit confused by your question--when you set up MyFitnessPal, it generates a calorie goal for you. Do you not trust their calculation?

I agree with others that making sure your food entries are really accurate is super important. Using a scale is super helpful. They are cheap on Amazon or I bought one at a local discount store, Grocery Outlet.

I also agree with others that you can 1) increase your daily non-"exercise" activity, such as taking stairs whenever possible, and walking more (for example, park farther away from your destination so you have to walk a little bit more), playing more active games with the kids you're babysitting, etc. You can also do some stretches and isometric-type exercises at your desk (just Google for some ideas).

Also agree with those who suggested working out at home. Workout videos on YouTube are free. You can also Google some exercises and choose a few that appeal to you and start making them a habit.

Don't be too aggressive with your goals. It took time to put the weight on, and it will take time to take it off again. Just be diligent and really experience your successes, when you see you've lost a pound or two, give yourself credit for that and let it motivate you. Rather than focusing on how many pounds you still have to lose, and letting it depress you (and possibly lead to giving up or binging or blowing off keeping up your MyFitnessPal entries).

My final suggestion for you is take it a little easier on yourself. We all have our challenges, and everyone here obviously has challenges with food, so it's not like you are some kind of freak or defective human being. There are reasons we are where we are. Remember that so you don't feel like you need to get down on yourself!!!!

Got a scale yesterday(: and I doubted the goal because It was saying 1,640 calories for a person who sits in an office all day doing nothing.. and the more and more I cut down to try and lose weight, the more I noticed I didnt need all of the food I was consuming: I felt fine without it and now if just feels normal not to eat unless I'm hungry, I'll eat until the feeling goes away and then I'll stop... Thats why I set my goal lower, but with the advice I've received on this thread, I'm going to work on finding more calorie-dense foods that wont destroy my nutrition goals each day... Yeah, great advise, I'm going to start making daily goals that I can either carry out with the kids or with the dog to be a little bit more active | or a food goal to eat more nutritious foods... Also, thanks for the last bit, thats something I think I really needed to hear.. I need to try and loosen up a little and be more patient with this process... Thanks so much for your feedback(: