My new love: walking with audiobooks!

Options
toxikon
toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
I've been a sedentary person for basically my whole life and I've always struggled finding healthy activities that I can stick to and find interesting.

2 months ago I decided to get into audiobooks. I started watching the show "American Gods" and thought it might be fun to read the book. I'd heard about Audible and decided to give a try.

I downloaded my book and found it hard to focus on while I was at work. At first I tried listening to it in bed with a sleep mask on to block out all external distractions, but I found myself just drifting off to sleep.

Then I decided to try walking with my audiobook and BLAM! I was able to focus and just tune everything out and enjoy listening to my book.

Since then, I've gone on an hour-long walk on almost every lunch break. I finished the 20-hour "American Gods" and now I'm 8 hours into my second book. That's 28 hours of walking since May!

It may not sound like a big accomplishment, but I am so happy that I found this. I get excited to go on walks so I can listen to more of my book. I think I finally found something I can actually stick to. :)

So if you're like me and struggle to find healthy activities that are 'interesting' - give it a try!

Replies

• RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    I always listened to my ipod, but never thought about audio books. I am going to try this.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Do this with podcasts every day! Helps me as well.
  • kimbulie
    kimbulie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Podcasts work too :smile: .
  • toxikon
    Options
    I've been meaning to get into some podcasts as well! I am just super sucked into fantasy books right now. :)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I used to do that (not sure why I quit. I think I changed devices and never transferred over stuff). I once ended up running 5 miles because the story was so interesting and I wanted to finish it. Lol.

Librivox has a select of free ones. They aren't amazing quality (it just depends) but if someone needs free options or at least a way to decrease the costs.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I LOVE audiobooks! I used to listen to podcasts when I worked out, but lately have been having a hard time getting the length of the episode to match up to the length of my run, so I switched to podcasts for walking and audiobooks for runs. I'm currently on Stephen King's Dark Tower. I love how you can just tune out distractions and keep going. With music, I tended to fiddle with my phone a lot and skip over songs, etc. I never do that with books/podcasts. It keeps me 'in the zone' so much better!
  • toxikon
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I LOVE audiobooks! I used to listen to podcasts when I worked out, but lately have been having a hard time getting the length of the episode to match up to the length of my run, so I switched to podcasts for walking and audiobooks for runs. I'm currently on Stephen King's Dark Tower. I love how you can just tune out distractions and keep going. With music, I tended to fiddle with my phone a lot and skip over songs, etc. I never do that with books/podcasts. It keeps me 'in the zone' so much better!

Dark Tower is high on my list! How do you like it so far?
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I will never forget when I was listening to John Green's "The Fault in Our Stars" while doing my neighborhood walk with tears just rolling down my face and no tissues. It's all in the book selection...
  • toxikon
    Options
    I will never forget when I was listening to John Green's "The Fault in Our Stars" while doing my neighborhood walk with tears just rolling down my face and no tissues. It's all in the book selection...

That's amazing, haha. I've definitely extended my walks when something exciting is happening in my book.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »

Dark Tower is high on my list! How do you like it so far?

I just started a few days ago, but I also ran my PR for 3mi in the first chapter ;). I got lost in the story and didn't notice that the speed was set higher than I realized, lol.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Another great option for audiobook procurement is your local library. My own city's, as well as many, many libraries in multiple countries, provide free downloads of any audiobook in their collection via the Overdrive app and it is awesome, extremely convenient, and free!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    huge audiobook fan - I have a 2-3hr commute daily that I do audiobooks on; but I also use when walking the neighbourhood

Overdrive and Hoopla from my library are my primary sources now, plus audible

currently listening to Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller chronicles - on bk2, but no bk3 in sight...
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have a kindle unlimited account and an audible account, you can sometimes get a book for free, and then buy the audiobook for like $3 or something. But that is only if you consume a lot of audiobooks. I listen to about 1 or 2 a week as I'm driving, cooking, cleaning, and doing other random things, so it's worth it for me.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love walking to audiobooks. Often I will find myself extending my planned walk just so I can finish a chapter.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Another great option for audiobook procurement is your local library. My own city's, as well as many, many libraries in multiple countries, provide free downloads of any audiobook in their collection via the Overdrive app and it is awesome, extremely convenient, and free!

This so much. I was paying for audiobooks and they are expensive af. Now I get them through my local library using overdrive. I'm in the middle of "The Stand". I read it twice when I was younger and am loving listening to it now. I walk for an hour every morning before work and again with the dog after work and have gone through a tone of different books. I really enjoy humour ones by authors like David Sidaris.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Yes! This is what I do too. I'll escape on the weekends and get a 5 mile walk in with a good audiobook.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I love listening to audiobooks. I get all mine through the library now I listen while I run and when I use the ellipitcal. Just finished The Couple Next Door and started All The Missing Girls.