1200 calories

Options
I love this app but I can't seem to stay under 1200 calories on a regular basis. Any suggestions?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to stay under 1200 calories?

The minimum recommendation for women is 1200 cals, and that's really only necedsary for short, sedentary women.
  • Newlife7537
    Newlife7537 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well that is the same plan they gave me. I've actually been able to say on track with it for the past few days. I recommend getting a scale to measure your food out. Meal prep is going to be your best friend!!!!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How did you arrive at the goal to eat under 1200 calories? Your name is tim...are you male or female? Are you a very short and sedentary woman? Are you getting any activity or exercise in your day so you can eat more calories?
  • carlapruiett
    carlapruiett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ^^That way my calorie intake can now be 1500 instead of 1200
  • 21ttomlinson
    21ttomlinson Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm week 2 of 1200, when did you guys start to see a weight loss? I've started with a PT and can't move at the moment.
    Please tell me.how you've done it.
    I'm in the uk
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Right away, but I had a lot to lose. My starting weight was 124 lbs away from goal and the first week I dropped about 4 lbs (of what was probably mostly water). Also, with so much to lose, my starting calories were 1710. I don't think I'd want to do 1200; I'm finding 1380 a bit rough if I don't earn exercise calories to top it up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    tim49mfp wrote: »
    I love this app but I can't seem to stay under 1200 calories on a regular basis. Any suggestions?

Maybe 1200 calories isn't enough calories for you. Keep in mind 1200 (a minimum default for women) was assigned to you based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week." Also, 1200 is before exercise.

You exercise.....you earn more.

If you are very petite or elderly and sedentary continue to tweak things. Change up your meal timing. Increase your protein. Get more fiber. Make sure your meals contain some fat. Stay hydrated.

But if you don't fit the criteria above, then you may need to accept lower weekly weight loss for the sake of being consistent.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    1200 for any length of time is pretty brutal, but unless you are completely sedentary you should be able to eat more and still lose. A half hour of moderate exercise a day and you can eat a little more and feel better.
  • AKThomasArt
    AKThomasArt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1200 is super hard! I have it as my goal also, and maybe get it 3 times a week. Add in a cheat day or a boozing weekend and I always go way over. However, working out hard and aiming for 1200 is the only way I drop weight. I have 12-15 lbs to be ideal weight, and feel like I will only be there if I never leave home other than the gym! Planning ahead works best, but isn't always doable.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to get 1200 a day! I eat a lot of veggies though and they keep me full.
  • suzyfrancoise
    suzyfrancoise Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 a day calorie count, always have been, that is the only way I can stay at my weight. 1200 is lots. plus I walk 35mins a day and I am on my feet all day at work. whatever exercise you do, does not count for eating more. I stay at a 1200 intake, no matter how much exercise I do... I am 5'4, cked out several sites and most say 1200 calories for my age group. the younger you are the more you are allowed to eat. one more neg thing about getting older lol.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm 5'3" and MFP gave me 1380 base before exercise calories. I couldn't do 1200 and feel full.
  • AmyMichelleMcClure
    AmyMichelleMcClure Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been at 1200 for about 2 weeks now and with exercise it hasn't been that bad. I exersize often though. I walk on my lunch break and some days I go to the gym before and after work. I drink a protein shake for breakfast followed with different fruits and nuts for snacks and I drink LOTS of water. I'm don't feel terribly hungry when it's meal time and I'm seeing results! You will find your motion I'm sure! Once you do you will be unstoppable:)