What home workouts do you do??

Options
von66
von66 Posts: 55 Member
Been gym member previously and done classes but don't get the same buzz from them as I used to. They don't motivate me anymore no idea why although I'm more unfit and older now.

Need start exercising at home again want to get fit and lose weight.

What's everyone doing and getting results with?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Unless you have space and finances for a whole gym... I'd suggest body weight(Convict Conditioning or Kavadlos or Pavel) or Kettlebell(Strongfirst or Dragondoor)
  • von66
    Options
    Have actually got gym in garage slightly under used to say the least. Got Kettlebells but not heard of others ??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I use my indoor bike trainer a couple of mornings per week when I need to be home because my wife is out on a run...kids aren't old enough to be on their own yet...other days I ride outside. I do some yoga videos from time to time.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    We have a power rack at home and do the StrongLifts program together.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use a number of different apps - Sworkit, Daily Workout Apps and Nike+ Training Club. I tend to use Sworkit the most, but I like a lot of variety, hence the different apps. I also use a 100 pushup and 200 squat trainer from ZenLabs. There are also lots of 7 minute HIIT trainers out there, they are good to add more variety.

I also run several days a week. I no longer use a C25K trainer but I think I am going to go back to it for interval training, to improve speed.
  • von66
    Options
    Used to workout with hubby but not for ages. He's always been fitter than me and cycles a lot. We were on about getting back into fitness together
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    - Workout DVD's (Beachbody, Leslie Sansone, Cathe Friedrich etc.)
    - YouTube workouts (Jessica Smith, Blogilates, FitnessBlender, XHit etc.)
    - TRX Suspension Trainer
    - Pilates on my Reformer
    - Weights/bodyweight work
    - Kettlebells
    - Hula hooping
    - Mini-stepper
    - Step aerobics
    - Jump roping
    - Powerwalking outdoors on a track or on a beautiful trail

With all of these options and more there is no need for me have a gym membership!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Doing a 5x5 program similar to stronglifts.
    Used to do tons of at home videos or just make up my own workouts incorporating lots of cardio, body weight exercises and weights. Lots of circuits.
    I love working out at home. More variety, I can do it in my underwear, and don't have to wear shoes (depending on the exercise). Plus I can watch tv or blast my own music. And no one talks to me or gets their perfume in my face, and I never have to wait for equipment.

Maybe I just hate the gym
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I alternate between running and the elliptical machine for cardio.

I stick to body weight exercises for strength training (pushups, chin/pull ups, planks) and some plyometric circuits when I want to mix things up.

If your primary goal is losing weight, don't worry too much about fancying up your workouts. Diet will do 80% of the work for you. The exercise is more for overall health, mindset, and/or appearance and as such, you will still get great benefits from the basics. Trust me, when you're out of shape 10 pushups will work you just as hard as anything you can do in the gym.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just finished 90 days of p90x3, moving on to 21 day fix extreme and Shift Shop, then likely Hammer and Chisel
  • von66
    Options
    I want tone up as well as lose weight.
  • von66
    Options
    Lost a lot of muscle mass as I've gotten older and stopped doing any training. Not sure about how many calories i should be having but I suppose it's trial and error.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I workout in my basement gym. I have plates, barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, bands, benches, a cable machine and a stair climber thingy. I most lift, do some cardio and interval training with videos.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Right now? T25. I borrowed it from the library and it came complete with DVDs, resistance band, calendar, nutrition and recipe books.
  • Cindyt1987
    Cindyt1987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Download the Sworkit app!! You can pay to have access to more workouts/moves but even the free version gives you a good variety. No equipment necessary! It shows you all the moves u need to do and when to start/stop. I love it!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do circuit training with all body weight exercise, then I go for a run, then come back and do more circuits of body weight exercise. Whatever you choose, your own body weight is free, so try doing different exercises in sets, do them in the same order then repeat for circuits. If you keep your heart rate up and work hard at it you can burn a ton of calories that way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    I have a small home gym and do a basic weights routine there.
    I also have a bicycle on a trainer set up in front of the TV so that I can do "commercial intervals".

Plus I walk, hike, and cycle outside. :)
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    With 1) a pull-up bar, 2) adjustable dumbbells, and 3) bench you can find ways to workout pretty much every muscle group.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I bought a book on strength training which includes
    • Multiple exercises for each muscle/muscle group, with a three-level plan for each exercise. (Example: Squat with weights. Level 1: 10 reps, 3-lb dumbbells, 1-2 sets. Level 2: 12-15 reps, 5-8lb dumbbells, 1-2 sets. Level 3: 8-12 reps, 10-12lb dumbbells, 1-3 sets)
    • Three sample full-body workouts
    • Four cardio-and-dumbbell interval workouts
    • Warmups and stretches

Mostly, I'm progressing through the second full-body workout. On days when I just feel like I'd rather do something different, I do two of the interval workouts (the first one is beginner level and the book suggests that it can be used as a warmup for the others, once mastered). I also have resistance tubes and bands, but I'm not getting the same thrill from them. I think I'm going to save them for travel.
  • aliry209
    aliry209 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I walk outside 3-4 miles 4-5 days a week .. also do Fitness Blender. Their workouts are free on YouTube