7 Ways to Stick to Any Goal

Options

"Eating healthy and exercising won't help you if it's only temporary," says M.J. Ryan, author of This Year I Will.... Here, her advice on sticking to any goal.

By Alice Oglethorpe

1. Make it nonnegotiable.
Don't tell yourself that you can cop out.

2. Make it actionable.
Be clear about what you're going to do to reach your goal. For example: "I'll go to sleep 30 minutes earlier so I can wake up and exercise in the morning."

3. Set a deadline.
Mark it on your calendar.

4. Schedule it in.
Write workouts or other healthy actions in your planner and treat them like appointments.

5. Find solutions for your usual excuses.
Write down your most common reasons for not doing something healthy, and brainstorm strategies to deal with them.

6. Do it daily.
The more something is part of your everyday life, the less you'll have to think about it.

7. Change your focus.
Look at what you've accomplished as opposed to what you still have to do. Pat yourself on the back!

Replies

• Nlongenecker
    Options

"Eating healthy and exercising won't help you if it's only temporary," says M.J. Ryan, author of This Year I Will.... Here, her advice on sticking to any goal.

By Alice Oglethorpe

2. Make it actionable.
    Be clear about what you're going to do to reach your goal. For example: "I'll go to sleep 30 minutes earlier so I can wake up and exercise in the morning."

3. Set a deadline.

4. Schedule it in.
    Write workouts or other healthy actions in your planner and treat them like appointments.

Write down your most common reasons for not doing something healthy, and brainstorm strategies to deal with them.

6. Do it daily.
    The more something is part of your everyday life, the less you'll have to think about it.

7. Change your focus.
    Look at what you've accomplished as opposed to what you still have to do. Pat yourself on the back!
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I like this! Thanks for posting it!

:flowerforyou:
  • kdanderson05
    Options
    I really like those and I think I am going to write those down and hang them up in my bathroom or somewhere where I will see it often. I could also put my own goals next to them as well, to be reminded of each!

Thanks for posting those!
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

By Alice Oglethorpe

2. Make it actionable.

3. Set a deadline.

4. Schedule it in.

6. Do it daily.

7. Change your focus.

I love this book, I need to get it out and reread it, she's one smart cookie! :drinker:
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. It is useful for anyone, whether just starting on their weight loss journey, or nearing the end. I especially like #7. I have to keep telling myself this. I keep focusing on the end number I want to be at, instead of looking at all I have accomplished thus far. Great advice!!

109912.png