New to dieting ..... need some help to loose weight

Options
Hi ..... my name is Sam and I've gained a few pounds over the last few months. I would like to meet new friends on here to help keep me motivated .... I joined and have a calorie goal of 1200, I would like to have had 1000, but never mind. Please send me a request if you want a diet and exercise buddy

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why would you rather only eat 1000 cals?
  • Haggishare
    Haggishare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So I can loose weight .... I thought that was the recommended amount to loose weight?
  • hightidebaby
    hightidebaby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive just started my weight loss journey after having my son 3 years ago I have been slowly adding to the baby weight . I'm currentry doing a 1000 cals a day diet.

And 1000 cals is the minimum recommended each day for a women so it's not a bad number to do
  • Haggishare
    Haggishare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sorry so she can loose weight .... not me .... I'm on 1200 daily, but I'm often under that amount as I exercise and am losing
  • Spencersfitness1989
    Spencersfitness1989 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Here for you!
  • XxMINDREADERxX
    XxMINDREADERxX Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ive just started my weight loss journey after having my son 3 years ago I have been slowly adding to the baby weight . I'm currentry doing a 1000 cals a day diet.

And 1000 cals is the minimum recommended each day for a women so it's not a bad number to do

Unless you are tiny, old and sedentary there is absolutely no need to eat so little.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    1,200 is the minimum that MFP recommends for women, under eating can cause tons of problems, loss of muscle, hair loss, and so many other problems.
  • emmamcdermo
    emmamcdermo Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This picture is my motivation. I have gained about 24lbs in the past three years and want to aim for about 124lbs (currently 138.5). I am 5'2 so my GW is healthy for my height and body shape. The pic of me in the pink skirt is very recent and the one of me in the grey top is me 3 years ago, at around 126lbs.
  • Befitorbesorry
    Befitorbesorry Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I need to lose 20-30 pounds. This is my first week on MFP and I am at a max of 1200 calories but vary between 1000-1200 because I'm still trying to figure out my meals! So far it's been a good and creative week, it's been fun to cook lately! Feel free to add me. We can all achieve our goals!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options

Unless you are tiny, old and sedentary there is absolutely no need to eat so little.

Agreed, it's not necessary to eat that low for the majority of people, please educate yourself on how your calorie allowance is calculated.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

OP if you've only gained a couple of pounds from a healthy weight, all you need to do is set yourself to 0.5lb per week loss and log accurately, that's a -250 calorie deficit per day from you normal calorie burn (Maintenance Allowance) and it'll come off in a few weeks without you needing to starve yourself.