Petite women and tall partners!

Options
I am 5'2" tall and my husband is 6'5"! Over the years we have been together I have gradually increased my portion size to almost match his - by habit. I've only realised this because I am on a course with buffet meals provided and I am eating markedly less than I would at home. I know it's a bit obvious but it's only being away from home that has made me realise the extent to which I was overeating!

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean..Im 5'3 and my hubby is 5'9...even though its not a big difference men need more then us gals so I was eating just as much as he was......So now I eat what I am suppose to....love it and love seeing the results :)
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I'm only 5'1", and he's 6'2", and it took me nearly a year after we moved in together to realise how much weight I was putting on. He eats like a horse even compared to most men I know!

Thankfully, in the last 5 months I've managed to lose all the weight I put on last year plus some extra. Portion control is a MAJOR part of that!

Now if only I could eat like him and never put on any weight, the way he does...
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That is what happened to me too. I think it isn't uncommon...
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD im 5"3 and my partner is also 6"5 and when i serve up our dinners or weekend breakfasts both our plates are the same size and the worst part is before i joined this site, i finished my plate and he usually left bits!!!

now i make sure that when i cook, i put a lot less on my plate according to his. and i dont cheat by adding more onto his to make mine look smaller lol.

iv been testing myself lately to try and leave a bit on my plate at the end of my meal....so i train my brain that im full and dont need to finish it. that way if i am still hungry after 10 mins then ill finish that bit off without having to go for seconds.
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" my boyfriend is 5'9", eats like a horse and it goes no where. I was 2 stone lighter when I met him!

I now make my own food and eat mostly clean while he guzzles down pizza & coke with fizzy cola bottles on ice cream for dessert!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 1in and OH is 5ft 11in - he also does a very physical job and probably burns in excess of 1000 cals per day.

I used to kid myself that as I didn't eat much in the day I could match his portion size in the evening :embarassed:

As someone else said sometimes my OH would even leave some of his dinner and I'd have long polished mine off (or else I'd pick at leftovers...)

No wonder I put on weight.

Now I still cook us the same but I might serve his meal with mashed of roast potatoes (I'll have a measured portion of new potaotes). If we have pasta I weigh my serving but still free pour his.

Our plates sometimes look the same size but mine is mainly veg / salad whereas his is an equal servig of veg, carbs and meat...

I tend to be sweet stuff and treats for him that I am not keen on (apple pie and custard is yucky to me so I'll just have fruit whilst he has a proper dessert!)
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm 5\3, Hubby is 6'1, or 6'2 (not sure, he keeps getting bigger) I don't come anywhere near matching him for meals, bt I do in snacks. Its awful. And he is a commercial transport mechanic, so I can't even imagine how much he burns in a day lifting and moving those parts. His arms are huge, he will never need to join a gym to gain muscle!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I am 5'-0" and my husband is 6'0". I can't eat the amounts he does. The few times I've eaten almost the same I've been close to loosing my cookies!
  • catfreak147
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedack folks - it's good to know that I'm not the only one! I think the consensus is to be more vigilant about what's going onto our plates when the enormous) partners in our lives are eating as well..... I'm headed home tomorrow so it'll be good to see if I can maintain this way of eating
    N x:wink:
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    I know....my husband is 5' 10 and I am 5 ft. He eats A LOT!! But he can because he is so tall. There was no way even on my best day that I could keep up with the amount of food that he used to (before he lost weight) put away. Even now that we have both cut back our portion sizes he still eats a lot!
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2 and my hubby is 5ft 11 and 265 pounds. He's a really big guy that eats a ton. Sometimes while I am getting the kids their dinner, he will make a plate for me (very sweet) but it's almost the same size as his. He does this to my girls too who are 10 & 13. The only time I could eat like that was when I was pregnant and that got me in a lot of trouble.