Low heart rate??

Options
A bit of a quick background.. I have seizures, probable MS. I am starting to exercise but by far not an athlete I at one point was said to be slightly hypo and treated with meds but the medication made me feel horrible, tried both Levo and armour 60 mg more recently. The last I tested I was on 30 armour and at 2.35. Recently lost 25lbs living modified low carb for seizures I take topamax ughh... low dose I don't handle drugs very well.. I got this eye twitch everyday all day it was annoying but noticed the day I forgot to take armour boom no twitch?? So I trying to play doctor tired of twitching stopped the armour still have not had an eye twitch but omg a headache from hell its only been 2 days... I go to gym 3-4 days a week and bike 5 miles 4 times weekly any ideas why my heart is dipping into the 30s at one point it got to 215 it's crazy I can feel these dips when I'm awake if they are low enough.. I go to dr on the 19th gonna get thyroid recheck cause I do know that low carb can effect it but I average around 30 daily. Trying to get healthy trying not to have anymore seizures but damn I don't want a heart attack either lol I've attached my heart rates for the last few days monitored by my watch..

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    IF your HR is actually getting below 50 regularly.

You should go to the doctor sooner.

LIke today.

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Low HR alone isn't cause for concern. Mine is the same. If i'm not lifting or cycling I rarely see above 100 and it'll drop to 42/43 sometimes.

Feeling the HR drop is something to bring up when you see your doc as is the medication and side effects but I personally wouldn't worry about a low HR.

Also consider the possibility that your HR monitor isn't very accurate (especially wrist worn).
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was a cardiology nurse for many years. Unless you're an elite athlete, a heart rate that falls to the 30's (suddenly) is concerning. But the rate alone isn't the only information needed--how did you feel when when your heart rate was that slow? Were you dizzy, light headed? Same question for the rate of 215--how did you feel when that happened?

Your physician may provide a more accurate way to measure your heart rate--a holter monitor or some similar device. Your watch isn't a medical device.

And please stop playing doctor/pharmacist on yourself when it comes to your meds. That's not smart.

Edited for clarification
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Have you had your vit b12 investigated. I started taking b12 with intrinsic factor and I have been so very much better. The intrinsic factor is made by a microbe some of us lack or loose with Hashimoto's. the if carriess the b 12 into the duodenum where it can be absorbed rather than be lost in digestive acid. Being low in b 12 can go with hashi.

Make sure you have your t3, t4, reverse t3, and antibodies read. tsh comes as standard and in the view of many thyroid support sites is not worth much on its own. A high or low TSH only tells you you have a high or low tsh not why! Thyroid conditions are more complicated than we are led to believe, its the adrenal, thyroid and another gland, hypothalamus(? hashi fog) they work in a push me pull you manor and should be in concert. Those antibodies are caused by the body immune system mistaking food molecules and our own cells, it then sets about destroying both! Some find avoiding their personal triggers really helps but general western medicine is happy for the thyroid to be destroyed before they do much. Hashimoto's presents with NORMAL thyroid numbers, its only when things are getting grim that these change.

People can also have problems converting t4 to t3, lacking some vital vitamins or minerals, some are genetically programmed not to be able to make the conversion, these people probably benefit from t3 only supplements.

Thyroid problems cause digestive problems, which reduce the digestive biome. The thyroid can also be involved in instances of Gaul stones, diabetes, cortisol and cholesterol problems, heart conditions, mental health problems, t3 is known as the "brain hormone".

MS is an autoimmune condition, unfortunately when one has one of these conditions it is possible to have others. Did I read there are 30 different conditions? Having one positively diagnosed is hard, the rest is more difficult.

Here in the UK we are not permitted to have our t3 tested Nice do not see the need! So many people are condemned to live hellish lives. We are also not permitted to have natural thyroid products on the NHS for similar reasons. Most of our doctors are not trained to understand thyroid function. It is only if we go outside into the Private Sector that we may, possibly find support from someone who listens and cares.

I'm off to see my BANT registered nutritionist in a little while. I've recovered sufficiently to go on my own!!! Life is looking good.

Please read all you can about thyroid conditions, try your national thyroid support site, or Stop the thyroid Madness, true it does have a pro NDT bent but there is so much helpful information there if you look for your own issues and follow your self knowledge. there is also the Hypothyroidmom. Even a chemist who has her own site too. Please look into it for yourself, there is so much ignorance in the general western medical profession, You could try finding someone from the Functional side of medicine.

I am angry to think of people usually women being fobbed off as I was, still being treated as I was for 40 years.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I too work on a telemetry floor and everything you said sounds concerning. Please see your Doctor.
  • martim3
    martim3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try to verify by feeling neck and count HR for 10 secs and multiply by 6.
    If symptoms go to ER.
    Try check BP when low to make sure you are getting blood to your head when it happens.
    Non athletes also can have slow resting HR. I had no symptoms with resting rates as low as 36/min. I freaked put. Saw cardiologist. Was told no symptoms? No problem.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    IF your HR is actually getting below 50 regularly.

You should go to the doctor sooner.

LIke today.

Although a visit to the doctor isn't a bad thing, having a resting HR below 50 is not uncommon for athletes. I work out 5 days a week pretty intensely and do a ton of cardio and have been doing that for 2+ years. My resting HR is 46-48 BPM in the mornings. It's not a cause for concern though, I have no issues pushing into the upper 150's or even higher during tough workouts and my HR goes back down quickly when done.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    OP said that they are basically a beginner and "by far not an athlete" and they have a number of medical issues. That means that such a low HR should be concerning because that's not common, though not impossible. That also assumes that the watch is correct. OP can check that him/herself by doing the math.

OP please stop playing doctor and call/see one.