Best non-strenuous workouts/exercises

When it comes to exercise I've never been able to do much- I have exertion migraines/headaches so running, jogging, lifting anything heavy etc. causes me to get an instant and severe headache. Even walking up a flight of stairs causes my vision to blackout and my head to start pounding. I'm wondering if anyone knows of some low impact, minimally strenuous ways to get some exercise in or if anyone else has exercise induce pain and how do you deal with it?

Replies

• 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    I've read that walking daily is good for you?
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2017
    Walking, swimming, yoga, Pilates, leisurely cycling, dancing all come to mind. But you may want to talk to a doctor first before taking up any exercise program, given your condition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    StarRemina wrote: »
    When it comes to exercise I've never been able to do much- I have exertion migraines/headaches so running, jogging, lifting anything heavy etc. causes me to get an instant and severe headache. Even walking up a flight of stairs causes my vision to blackout and my head to start pounding. I'm wondering if anyone knows of some low impact, minimally strenuous ways to get some exercise in or if anyone else has exercise induce pain and how do you deal with it?

Ya, my official diagnosis for my knee pain is "pain with activity." I deal with it by attempting to pace myself, start gently, and work up.

Gentle/beginner yoga should be great. Definitely avoid any style that says Power, Flow, anything that sounds like it could be cardiovascular b/c it is likely too much for a beginner or someone with your condition.

Walking is great as well. Just don't get half way around the 4 mile circumference pond before realizing it's too much and have to limp out the rest of the way ;)

If my knee (and now hip) isn't up for much walking I take along my clippers and do trail maintenance.

I have to be careful with swimming because I do it in a pond and have to be able to make it back.

I love to garden as well. I have smaller beds at my new place and they are already full :(
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Swimming and walking are good. Many pools have low impact water fitness classes. They are doing basic movements in the pool, not typicallly swimming. More like walking in a pool at waist level.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Another vote for walking and swimming. You can do both at your own pace and adjust accordingly. As someone above said - when walking remember that you have to walk back, so don't wear yourself walking in one direction only to wreck yourself coming back!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Anything that you can do or modify to be low impact.

Barre & Pure Barre. Pilates. Deep Extreme/Body Art. Classes that are all strength, no cardio.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I highly recommend swimming. You can start off super-slow, just walking through the shallow end or treading water in the deep end. If that goes well, try using a kickboard to lap-swim. If that also goes well, add the arms. And/or join a beginners water aerobics class- maybe talk to the instructor about your concerns and see if they would let you do free class one time just to make sure it's something you can do before you spend money on it.

It might not sound like much but you'd be surprised! Myself, my husband, and our former roommate all lost weight when we lived at a place with a tiny little pool in the complex- all we did was play around- tossing and fetching balls and dive sticks, etc.- we hadn't changed anything about our diet and it was the only activity were getting at the time. In fact it's one of those only times I've ever lost weight completely by accident, lol!

And of course, before considering ANY of those things, check with your doctor first.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    You might be able to do an exercise bike. Start out at a leisurely pace. Add resistance gradually. See if you can increase the pace without trouble after you have gotten used to doing a leisurely pace.
  • jerseyboss
    jerseyboss Posts: 22 Member
    I'm not a fan of over exerting myself, I never stick to it. I walk around 24miles a week at least to work and back with ankle weights on and whilst I do get a little bit of a sweat on its nothing too over exertive.
    Combined with calorie deficit diet I've so far lost over a stone so I'm happy with that.
    I'd do walking with a Walkman on and you'll find it feels good and is fairly easy to jump straight into.