Losing the gut

Options
What's the best way to lose the gut area that includes the entire abdomen from bra line to bikini line region and including love handles and back rolls? I can't seem to lose it. I've cut out ALL sweets and limit my carbs and do a mix of cardio and weights(including crunches and weighted trunk twists)for 30 mins 4Xweek. What else can I do? All I know is that that area is super hard for a female to lose that gut. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Time
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Reduce bf %.

Rinse, repeat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating at a deficit? You can do all the crunches & planks in the world and have a magnificent set of abs buried under a layer of fat that won't go away unless you're eating fewer calories than you expend.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to lose the gut area that includes the entire abdomen from bra line to bikini line region and including love handles and back rolls? I can't seem to lose it. I've cut out ALL sweets and limit my carbs and do a mix of cardio and weights(including crunches and weighted trunk twists)for 30 mins 4Xweek. What else can I do? All I know is that that area is super hard for a female to lose that gut. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

This is the most stubborn weight there is (for me, at least). For me, belly and love-handles are the first weight I gain and the last weight I lose.

Bottom line: Your body wants to hang on to that weight. It's a nice concentration of stored energy and you won't lose it until your body fat percentage is lower. If you're like me, you'll lose it everywhere else before you lose it there.

Be careful with the cutting out "ALL the sweets" strategy. If you don't treat yourself now and then, you could be more likely to say f&*# it in the long term. About once a week I try to go out to eat and enjoy a nice dessert. Keeps me sane :).
  • jayashreeravi1
    jayashreeravi1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Did you try battle ropes? Every article on the internet that I browsed calls it bada** workout for the abs... (I am yet to try it, but planning to).
  • sandeegriffin
    sandeegriffin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Reduce bf %.

Rinse, repeat.
    Reduce bf %.

Rinse, repeat.

How do you reduce bf%?
  • sandeegriffin
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »

This is the most stubborn weight there is (for me, at least). For me, belly and love-handles are the first weight I gain and the last weight I lose.

Bottom line: Your body wants to hang on to that weight. It's a nice concentration of stored energy and you won't lose it until your body fat percentage is lower. If you're like me, you'll lose it everywhere else before you lose it there.

Be careful with the cutting out "ALL the sweets" strategy. If you don't treat yourself now and then, you could be more likely to say f&*# it in the long term. About once a week I try to go out to eat and enjoy a nice dessert. Keeps me sane :).

How do you drip the body fat %?
  • sandeegriffin
    Options
    Did you try battle ropes? Every article on the internet that I browsed calls it bada** workout for the abs... (I am yet to try it, but planning to).

What are battle ropes?
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

How do you drip the body fat %?

Calorie deficit - burn more than you take in.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - maybe don't go so hard on the abs all the time. Sounds like you are creating some pretty big ab muscles that still have a layer of fat on top of them, which will make your belly look bigger. I know when I have a lot of ab exercises in my workout, my belly always looks bigger for a few days afterward, which honestly, sinks my spirits.

Maybe focus on some of the bigger muscles in your body, like in your legs. Turn those into calorie eating machines, which will help you lose the overall amount of bodyfat, and maybe start digging into that surplus in your midsection.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym faithfully for years and ate well. But I couldn't lose any weight. Once I was honest with myself and started tracking my portion sizes on mfp I realized I was eating too much. It didn't matter that the food I ate was all healthy (not a junk food eater and never eat fast food), I was still consuming more calories than I needed. Once I figured that out, I lost 90 pounds.

You don't say how old you are. I'm over 50 and I find that I cannot eat all my exercise calories back. If I do, the weight creeps up to the top end of my personal range. You also say that you limit your carbs but don't say specifically how many you are eating. I've read that fat around your middle signifies that you are one of those people that don't process carbs well. I try to keep mine under about 80.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If your belly is very large in proportion to the rest of you, have your doctor check for Cushing's. Also, try reducing stress in your life. Cortisol causes fat to be stored at the midline rather than other parts of the body.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I agree with the reduce body fat by eating in a caloric deficit. Get a food scale so you can be sure you are in a deficit.

Look into a whole body weight lifting program
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Are you even counting calories accurately? If not, start there. If you're not in a calorie deficit, no amount of exercise with help.

Weight loss is all about calories, and not about what foods you should/shouldn't eat.