Need more carbs

Options
I need to increase my carb intake and am having a hard time. I am gluten free and don't eat any dough, pasta, bread, crackers, pretzels etc even if a gluten free version is available. I just eat fruit, meat, vegetables. But I am coming up short on carbs. Any thoughts? I occasionally have rice or oatmeal. Other stuff tends to make me very sick in my intestines.

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What about higher carb fruit? Bananas, for example.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies are your friends.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Tropicana juices all flavors have plenty of carbs...how about yogurt I have this vanilla yogurt high in protein and carbs and 0 fat....good stuff
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    What about low fat dairy, more starchy vegies, beans/legumes, higher carb fruit?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams.
    This. Starchy vegetables and whole grains help.

• tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    sounds like u gotta incorporate some starches!! make chickpea fritters just chickpea flour and ur fave veggies diced up and fry or bake and voila.. carbs and gluten free
  • gidjinswife
    gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like winter squash as a porridge. Cook until soft, mush it up add some coconut milk and fruit, nuts, coconut, whatever it is you like. I'll throw in a scoop of callogen powder and it's a complete meal. I'm AIP paleo and am working on increasing carbs as well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by coming up short on carbs? There are no "essential carbs". Are you under on calories? You can eat more fat if you have trouble hitting your energy needs through carbs. Eat a variety of foods that don't make you sick. A restricted diet can make you sick. Do you like fish, other seafood, dairy, nuts&seeds, eggs, butter, potatoes, corn?
  • nightseden
    nightseden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, quinoa, and rice are great GF WAYS to get carbs... bananas, avocado...cantaloupe? Squash... hope this helps
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Oats, rice, potatoes are my go to choices of carbs. But also why do you need more carbs? Do they satiate you or trying to hit the standard MFP numbers?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Add sugar/syrups to your fruit.

Apples stewed with brown sugar
    Berries topped with sugar or powdered sugar
    Pears with maple syrup

etc