Wife needing advice for her Hubs

Options
I have been wanting my husband to lose weight with me FOREVER (he is VERY heavy)!!! Well he just started by only eating 1 meal a day :( Do I be a nagging wife and try to explain the importance of healthy eating or do I just shut up and PRAISE him for doing SOMETHING????

Replies

• koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If he is oly eating one meal a day his body will go into starvation mode and while at first he will lose weight Soon his boy will just store EVERYTHING... Be th nagging wife try to find a way to encourage healthy eating. Not saying anything will not do him any favors in the long run.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Introduce him to this site, send us his username and let us do the nagging for you. :-p Therefore it comes from many different sources and you don't get the stains on your hands. heheh Seriously, get him here and let us know his name and we can friend him, build a relationship and then bam...keep telling him, eat smaller meals more frequently...

Cheers!
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    My hubby and I are doing WW together and that makes it easier. In the past, when he wasn't on board with me, I just tried to fix healthy food and eat properly. Maybe by you doing it, it will rub off on him. He's gotta make the choices for health himself. I would just be there for him when he wants to talk about it, and demonstrate good habits the rest of the time. He'll see you having success, feeling better, etc., and come around. Good luck!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm there with my man too. He doesn't eat but once a day and then eats not so healthy things. Says he's always lost weight this way, but he's 53 now. I spend the weekends with him so I try cook healthy things for him and I to eat, but its not working unless he does it during the week when I am not there. Good luck with it. I know I don't have any advice but would like to see what others say.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. I'd say let him give it a go for awhile. Eventually he will realize how much easier it is just to eat 5 small meals a day.
  • missjaiy
    missjaiy Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm learning men are quite different. They don't take to nagging at all. Just encourage him for making an effort and send him an article that speaks about calories needed to lose weight. 1 meal a day is starving him and his body is storing what he does eat as fat at this point. After seeing the results of me eating properly and exercising for 3 weeks, my husband has now decided to join me in the workouts. He hasn't yet committed to the nutrition 100%, but he does eat what I do and I think he's now starting to feel guilty pigging out in front of me. Just lead by example and pray! If he's like my hubby, he won't like the feeling of being left on the sideline to looking and feeling good about himself :)
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    What he is doing is very unhealthy. It will send his body into starvation mode and only make him hold on to weight and/or he will lose some weight but be so hungry that he'll binge and put it all back on. Talk to him about healthy eating, everything in moderation, portion distortion... Eating healthy does not have to be painful; you don't have to be a martyr to lose weight. By using MFP, I have been able to work my favorite snacks, junk foods, even fast food into my healthy eating plan by "saving" some calories when I know I will be splurging. For example, if I know we're doing a family movie night, I'll have a big salad for supper and save some calories for the chips later on. And I'll weigh my chips on my food scale so that I know exactly what I'm eating rather than blindly reaching into the bag. :)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I am of 2 mindsets here - first, I'd educate him about what eating 1 meal per day will do (aside from anything else - it's just not sustainable - he's gonna want a second meal one day soon)...

But once he's on a better track - I'd be as encouraging as possible. My husband is also losing weight with me, and didn't catch on right away, but after a couple of weeks of him saying "Oh, I guess I shouldn't have had ___." or me saying "That was a great choice.", he's pretty much got it nailed.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If he is oly eating one meal a day his body will go into starvation mode and while at first he will lose weight Soon his boy will just store EVERYTHING... Be th nagging wife try to find a way to encourage healthy eating. Not saying anything will not do him any favors in the long run.

That's not true. It takes 72 hours of extreme reduced caloric intake to effect metablism. It doesn't really matter at what time or at what frequency meals are consumed. It only comes down to calories in vs. calories out.

ONE MEAL A DAY WILL NOT CAUSE SOMEONE TO GO IN TO STARVATION MODE. It's probably not sustainable - and he's probably not being truthful, either. He's telling you that to get you off of his back.

Being a nagging wife won't help. Only keep healthy food in the house. Make healthy dinners. Offer to pack lunch. Suggest a walk in the evenings.

If it is that important to YOU, you should offer to make it as easy as possible for him. Otherwise you're just a nag.
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    manorexicmarshmallow Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Instead of nagging him, try challenging his competitive nature by making weight loss a competitive sport. My wife and I challenge eachother at losing weight, with rewards and punishments to the winner and loser respectively. Offer rewards for progress made and offer him positive encouragement and support when he does something right.

Agree with others' point about one meal a say being a step in the wrong direction. Better to have smaller calorie meals spread out over the day and cut out late night eating.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't feel nagging is the way to go. I would offer him something healthy you were eating if he wasn't eating. Maybe eat with him when he does eat and make it enjoyable so he will want to eat other meals with you, thus eating more healthy meals! Let him know, as you probably already have, about MFP and how supportve we all are.
    My hubby needs to lose weight, has for quite a while. Now the doctor said he needs to lose 50 lbs, but would be ok with 40 lbs lost. He is on PB meds, cholesterol meds, and is now pre diabetic. Still not doing much about it. Comes up with one excuse after the other as to why he "can't exercise". Makes me crazy but I give up! My bugging him about it, both nicely and hurtfully, doesn't work. He won't go for walks, do dvds with me, nothing! I can only do so much!!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've battled with this problem during our 13 year relationship. My hubby gets very defensive about his weight so I have found the best way to guide him is by example. Just be as kind and supportive as you can and when what he is doing stops working while you're still loosing weight he will probably make the realization by himself or at least start asking you questions about how you're losing weight. I have found that the closer I get to my goal weight the more scared my hubby is that I'll leave him behind and that's been great motivation for him, he's lost 75lbs now :bigsmile:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would say something, just once- like "I am so ridiculously proud of you for making an effort to take this under control. I really don't think they way you are doing it best serves your body, and if you are interested in looking into it I can show you (article or summary about the site or starvation mode or something). But if this is the way you want to do it, I will support you and am here for you whether or not you change your mind."

My bf goes on "the soup diet" as he calls it- which mostly is just having a light soup for dinner instead of anything else and while I don't think it's super healthy, it works for him.

Don't lie and say you are enthused, but don't nag either. Be there for him and let him know it.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    That's a tough one. I'd say let him give it a go for awhile. Eventually he will realize how much easier it is just to eat 5 small meals a day.

I agree. Praise him for getting started (men need lots of praise LOL). The eating of one meal a day won't last..he'll either quit or realize that it feels better to eat several small meals throughout the day. So after a few days of eating one meal, try to introduce him to the small meals concept.

Also, get him logging on to MFP!! Good Luck!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had this issue w/my husband too. He wasn't very heavy but as I was on a path to "moderation" and learning to be healthy, it definitely had me stewing when I would sit there not eating sweets, and he would not eat breakfast, eat huge lunches at work, then huge dinners w/big snacks at 10 at night.

He wouldn't really listen to me when I would hint at some of the things I learned here until maybe a year and a half later. He was on a work trip and read an article on the obesity epidemic in the US, and saw a chart showing where people stand on the scale based on height and weight. I don't know where he stood, but he came home very open to change....finally! So once he was open to it, and only then, did he listen to me. I opened an MFP account for him and at first logged everything in for him. Then when he found out how easy the iPhone app was, he took charge and used it, and I would plug in any recipes for dinner to make it easy for him. He started eating breakfast. Started exercising. And learned really quickly what he needed to do to earn enough calories to have that big snack at night that he loves. So, he lost 15 or so pounds and is now attempting to maintain but not logging anymore.

I guess my experience is he has to be open to listen, and it sounds like your husband might be, by trying to cut back at least? I would stress the importance of eating enough and spread throughout the day. Maybe instead of you nagging, you can leave some articles about it out somewhere so he can read something from the experts, not necessarily from you? And just try to be super accommodating while he learns.

It's definitely tough...I feel your pain. I hope it works out for both of you!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Also - the biggest thing that helped my husband get this is to cut out grains and sugars. He can eat a lot of protein, fat (cheese, etc) and vegetables (a LOT of vegetables) and is satisfied all the time. His preference for this is that even away from me, he can look at something and make a healthy choice and doesn't need to track, etc. (I still track my food, but he's lost nearly 20# and hasn't tracked anything consistently.)

(Seriously - look into Primal eating http://www.marksdailyapple.com - It's worked physical and mental wonders in our house...)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Nagging him won't work. But I would at least ask why he thinks 1 meal a day is the way to lose weight, and go from there.

But you can't force anyone onto a program. They have to own it in order to be successful.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Introduce him to this site, send us his username and let us do the nagging for you. :-p Therefore it comes from many different sources and you don't get the stains on your hands. heheh Seriously, get him here and let us know his name and we can friend him, build a relationship and then bam...keep telling him, eat smaller meals more frequently...

Cheers!

I agree completely - let him see other guys who are losing weight and let him talk to them (us)... That will be a great motivation and help to him because he can talk to guys where HE is at or WAS at and let him know it is possible - It's easier for us to follow someone of the same approximate age, health, starting point, sex, etc..
    :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    "Honey, I was just reading some posts on MFP and it looks like you can actually eat more than just one meal! All these people who have lost a lot of weight say that they did it just by paying attention to portion sizes, but still ate meals and snacks. But whatever works, I'm just so glad that we can get healthier together." (Then consider making some sexy time to encourage an association between health and sex. You know, for added motivation for him.)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    One meal per day means nothing. He could be eating 3500 calories in one meal and that wouldn't be good. He could be eating 500 and that's not good either because he could eat more an still lose weight.

I don't know but when ever my wife goes into nagzilla mode it just starts sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher.