Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

!! Everyone should read this !!

2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Isn't visceral fat part of essential fat? I could swear that it's main purpose is to protect your organs of impact, hence "wrapping around them."

Also, if burning fat while exercising tells the body to store more fat, how does high intensity exercise burn fat without telling the body to store more?

I'm not saying this article is wrong, I just think it was poorly written.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Isn't visceral fat part of essential fat? I could swear that it's main purpose is to protect your organs of impact, hence "wrapping around them."

Essential fat is a part of visceral fat, and yes, your body does need a certain amount of essential fat around your organs (or viscera). The problem is excessive visceral fat - the difference is like wearing a necklace versus a noose. And as the author says, many people don't know they have excessive visceral fat because it's 'invisible' - you can be thin and still have it.
  • gmhvin
    gmhvin Posts: 29 Member
    Bump for later :)
  • drrif
    drrif Posts: 28
    What I found interesting in the article is not necessarily the point about visceral fat, but that you burn 9X more fat by doing intermittent type exercise rather than low-burn cardio...
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Very interesting....my question is can a workout routine such as cardio/calisthenics with small breaks(20 seconds) between each move combined with weight lifting be another example of what you're talking about? I have recently changed my routine to this form of 'circuit training' ...just wondering....
  • drrif
    I think as long as you can get the effect of slow and then active exercise then it doesnt matter how u do it..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    So by using this principle, wouldn't endurance athletes & ultra marathoners be loaded with visceral fat?
  • I don't mean to sound overly picky. This article sounds great! But does anybody else find it a bit vague? I know we're not all physicians and don't know and don't really need to know all the technical terms, but the article didn't really go into detail or cite anything. I don't really read a lot of online articles, so I don't know if citing your work is the norm, but not doing it always puts up red flags for me. Even people who have their Phd. in other professions cite their work.

Has anybody tried this over a long period of time? What were your results?

Well actually this has been published scientifically, if you really want to you can read the full scientific paper here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0026049594902593

Thank you! I just wanted to be sure. :)

I don't mean to sound overly picky. This article sounds great! But does anybody else find it a bit vague? I know we're not all physicians and don't know and don't really need to know all the technical terms, but the article didn't really go into detail or cite anything. I don't really read a lot of online articles, so I don't know if citing your work is the norm, but not doing it always puts up red flags for me. Even people who have their Phd. in other professions cite their work.

Has anybody tried this over a long period of time? What were your results?

When physicians (or other scientists) write for a lay audience, they don't usually cite their work or other studies and this article/blog was clearly intended for a lay audience. Sometimes they will steer the reader to some key research, particularly if there are 1-2 newsworthy studies that they are commenting on (edit - and he does cite 2 primary studies), but I think oftentimes the thinking is that the primary research would be overwhleming to the average reader (and keep in mind the average health literacy level in the US is about a 5th grade level), and the savvy reader can go to PubMed or other reputable source and search out the relevant research themselves, or find more in depth reviews or books. In contrast, when they write for their peers, the work is heavily referenced. It just all depends on the intended audience.

BTW, I have a science PhD and write for a living, for both physician and lay audiences, so I know a little about these nuances :-) It's good to be skeptical though - use that skepticism to dig into the topic more! Knowledge is power!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm working on a scholastic degree and I get it beat in to my head to always check people's sources. Not to mention I'm naturally a skeptic! lol. Thanks again.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    bump
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    So by using this principle, wouldn't endurance athletes & ultra marathoners be loaded with visceral fat?

Probably not as they are already conditioned and in good health..they had to condition to get themselves to that phase..

This article is appealing to me because I can do 1-2 hours of high intensity tae bo (burning anywhere from 800-1500 cals), eat extremely healthy, and after a year and a half, I only lost about 10 pounds..and the weight came off when I was forced to "STOP" working out for a month or two. How odd. I am going to try what he's talking about.
  • drrif
    So I tried it today, for the first time. 30 min run, slow for 3 min, run fast for 2min, walk until I get my breath back and then run fast for 3 min, repeat.

It was hard, but didnt sweat as much, lets see if it works, will try for a month and see.
  • drrif

Probably not as they are already conditioned and in good health..they had to condition to get themselves to that phase..

This article is appealing to me because I can do 1-2 hours of high intensity tae bo (burning anywhere from 800-1500 cals), eat extremely healthy, and after a year and a half, I only lost about 10 pounds..and the weight came off when I was forced to "STOP" working out for a month or two. How odd. I am going to try what he's talking about.

I am biologist, and putting my biology hat on makes me think....we are animals, when u shock the body into exercise and less food, our internal mechanisms may think that the environment is bad. We are having to hunt further for our food, and there is less food. So the body tries to store as much reserve food (fat) as possible. As soon as you stop exercising for a bit and maintain the same food level, the body now thinks that well dont have to hunt anymore for food, it just arrives, so you may lose some fat then.

We mustnt forget the biology, and think about how we are designed for survival.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    I ran long distance for 3 straight years about 6 days a week - but, this is all I did. My weight was fine, but it wasn't where I wanted it and my body wasn't as toned as I wanted it. For the past two years, I rarely run over 6 miles at one time and during my running, I do intermittent hill sprints, flat sprints, lunging, etc. I also spin a lot and my instructor is BIG on the short bursts of energy. Get your heart rate up, bring it down, get it back up, etc.

Anyway, my body has completely changed. I'm leaner, not MUCH lighter in weight, but there are some MAJOR body differences and I've dropped 2 sizes. I am a total all-in believer of this. Thanks for the article.
  • mattellis2
    mattellis2 Posts: 152

I am biologist, and putting my biology hat on makes me think....we are animals, when u shock the body into exercise and less food, our internal mechanisms may think that the environment is bad. We are having to hunt further for our food, and there is less food. So the body tries to store as much reserve food (fat) as possible. As soon as you stop exercising for a bit and maintain the same food level, the body now thinks that well dont have to hunt anymore for food, it just arrives, so you may lose some fat then.

They key to this is to match your intake with the amount of work you're doing. "Starvation mode" is real in my opinion, and if you're cycling 30 miles a day and eating 1200 calories, that isn't going to get it. Feed yourself appropriately, and your body will simply adapt to the increased workload.
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    In regards to marathon runners and cross country runners, I think that these athletes use interval training. I remember our cross country team in high school hated fartlek (interval training) days. I also find that it increases my speed.
  • suelynn62
    suelynn62 Posts: 67 Member
    bump
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Very good information here, thanks!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member

No one really addressed my statement with a good explaination yet. Few marathoners, and certainly even fewer ultra runners are doing short fast interval work. They are training thier body to run for long periods on thier fat reserves while not kicking over to burn thru thier glycogen stores. By the premise of this article, ultra marathoners should have huge amounts of visceral fat. But I'd venture to guess that's not the case in reality.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    bump
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Where is the evidence for this? I see none.

"You don’t want to use fat during exercise, because it’s telling your body that you need fat for fuel. Your body hears, “Make more fat!” and it delivers. So, once you’re done exercising, your body continues to make fat and tuck it around your organs. Now you have even more fat to use as an energy source the next time you jump on the treadmill. "