Found My Light, needing a HUGE weight loss 300+

Options
avarayne95
avarayne95 Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2017 in Introduce Yourself
My name is actually Rachel (compared to on MFP) and I'm 22 years old. I've been overweight my entire life, gradually increasing in size. I've "attempted" many diets over the years, but none of them lasted for over a month. I used to think it was that the diet didn't work, or that it was "too hard" so I would give up. Now, I've realized the only reason I haven't succeeded is because I didn't want it bad enough. All I would do is make up excuses. Now, I've had my wake up call, and I realize what I want to do. I want to put all of this behind me and move forward to a healthier lifestyle. I have over 300 pounds to lose. I've just started and I'm looking to meet some new friends and positive people to have in my life during this life-long process. I'd love to hear feedback and to exchange information since I'm constantly learning as I go. Please feel free to add me!

Replies

• csuscarter
    csuscarter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it with friends and if you
    Put your mind to it. I'm trying to loose around 200lbs myself.
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happy to be a positive and encouraging force on your dash. Feel free to add me! Always good to surround yourself with supportive people.
  • wimdroid
    wimdroid Posts: 56 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good luck. You have made the first and most important steps ;)
  • Bobafad
    Bobafad Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey, you got this! ;)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Definitely look at this as a lifestyle change that you can maintain rather than a diet that has an expiration date.
    Check out the stickied posts at the top of the board (Most Helpful Posts) and this post here which explains how your calorie allowance is calculated http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1 . My first tips would be:
    • Choose an attainable goal and weight loss rate, set your account up honestly and accurately.
    • Get yourself a food scale and choose your database entries wisely, check nutrition info against labels.
    • Log your normal intake for a few days, see how far over you are going and what it is that is taking you over - is it portion sizes, too many high calorie/low nutritional value foods, drinking your calories, etc.
    • Once you have reviewed your data for those days, start making small sustainable changes - for example changing the method you use to cook - I used to fry everything in loads of olive oil, I now use a 1 cal spray with just enough to stop the food sticking to the pan or bake/grill things instead, this in itself can save 1-200 calories per meal. If you're drinking your calories (sugary sodas, milkshakes, frozen coffee, iced tea, etc) switch to a diet soda or water.
    • Try and increase your activity, this doesn't necessarily mean working out or going to the gym, just try and walk a little further each day, do some light stretching. If you're medically ok you could try some Low Impact Cardio workouts on youtube try HASFIT or Fitness Blender.
    • Remember it's a marathon not a sprint, it will take time, the scale may not always show a change and may even show a gain from time-to-time, it's totally normal, it's the bigger picture that's important.

Finally, check out some of the success stories from people who are in the same boat.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10172591/3yrs-and-i-have-lost-over-320-pounds-you-can-do-it-too

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1202069/how-i-lost-360lbs-in-15-months-with-photos/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10421055/from-388-to-215-and-still-going-its-been-quite-a-ride#latest
  • brittneymarieborenin
    Options
    Hey! I know the feeling. I started my journey at 460 pounds! I've lost 190 pounds and still have a lot more to lose! I'm working hard at it everyday and am always looking for new mfp friends! Everyone feel free the add me! Email is britterscritterz@gmail.com :)
  • rlarkin591
    rlarkin591 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Use the food tracker, set your calorie total and then STICK TO IT. I have tracked mine off and on for a year but never really tried to stay under the total. Now, I have stayed under the total I set (2500) 4 days in a row. make it a habit. tell everyone you are doing it. We will all do this together
  • CINDYR776
    CINDYR776 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good luck Rachel! You can do this!
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're doing this at such a young age, Rachel. There's a whole world waiting for you to join it at a healthy weight. I'm 56 and have lost 56 lbs. I wish I'd been able to do it decades ago.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    marelthu wrote: »
    I'm so glad you're doing this at such a young age, Rachel. There's a whole world waiting for you to join it at a healthy weight. I'm 56 and have lost 56 lbs. I wish I'd been able to do it decades ago.

I agree. It is such a plus to lose weight when you are younger. I did not truly do it until I was 45. Although in my 20's when I thought I needed to lose weight I really just needed to watch what I was eating. However, as long are you are committed and dedicated you can do it. Stay positive!!