Need some advice on weight loss

Options
_GlaDOS_
_GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
I am struggling with losing weight. It’s been almost 3 weeks since I’ve lost any weight, and I’m looking for some suggestions on what could possibly be reasons why and hopefully what I can do to start losing weight again.

I have MFP set to lose about 2 lbs per week, which puts my net calories at 1200.

I eat most of my exercise calories back.

I do not eat too much sodium—I have it set at 1800mg (daily limit/recommendation is no more than 2500mg). I rarely get above 1800mg even.

I eat a whole-foods, plant-based diet most days (vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, nuts/seeds). I try to limit my animal protein intake to one meal per day (though sometimes it is two).

I don’t track my water consumption on here anymore, because I know I drink plenty (8-10 cups a day, at least)

I use a HRM when I exercise (my current program is ChaLEAN Extreme / TruboFire Hybrid). It seems to be pretty accurate and I am using it properly. I’ve been doing this program for about a 1 ½ months after just doing TurboFire.

I took body measurements before starting CLX/TF, and then again at 30 days. I lost a total of 7.5 inches and 5 lbs, but now I’ve gained back 2-3 pounds. I’m thinking this is probably muscle gain (since fat and muscle weigh the same, but muscle is less bulky, which explains the loss of inches). But, any other ideas on what it could be? Is the HRM just as accurate with strength training? Should I set my net calories higher and see if that works? Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated…

Replies

• VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem...And one day, I decided to cut the carbs and it just started my weight loss again...

I am now at 30g of carbs per day ;)

Some people see a big difference with 50-60g of carbs a day..

I would try it ;)
  • KenMontville
    KenMontville Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that 1200 calories a day is pretty low. Your body is probably trying to "conserve" energy and food.

This may seem counter intuitive but some days after I just go crazy and eat what I want which might include some junk and, for some reason, my weight goes down. I just can't make it a habit because I'll start to gain, again. A day here ad there seems to tell my body I'm not starving.
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    I had the same problem...And one day, I decided to cut the carbs and it just started my weight loss again...

I am now at 30g of carbs per day ;)

Some people see a big difference with 50-60g of carbs a day..

I would try it ;)

I agree, though last week, I averaged 75g carbs a day and lost 6.1lbs. (going from 167.3lbs to 161.2lbs) I would suggest cutting down to 100g to start with and see from there.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    Thanks, but I don't think that is a safe number of carbs to have in a day. I am concerned about calorie intake, not macronutrients. If I ate more processed foods (not that I don't some days), I would be concerned with carbs. But the carbs I eat most of the time come from high quality whole grains, beans, and nuts.

I guess maybe I think it's not a good idea to "restrict" nutrition to lose weight, because that is not a sustainable lifestyle habit. I want to do things that I can continue after I reach my goal weight.
  • pambaldwin
    pambaldwin Posts: 18
    Options
    I am certainly no expert but I can give you some personal experiences. That is you seem to be doing all the right things. You will stop losing weight on occasion and I call these the time your body is rearranging itself, which in your case, it seems to be doing just that. Just give it some time and more weight be begin to come off. That is what happened to me dieting for a year. It is unrealistic to expect the weight to consistently come off. Your body just does not work that way.
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    I guess maybe I think it's not a good idea to "restrict" nutrition to lose weight, because that is not a sustainable lifestyle habit. I want to do things that I can continue after I reach my goal weight.

I understand where you are coming from, but some people can live sustainably like this. I feel like I can do this for life. 100g carbs is plenty for a day (for me) =) I also have nutritional reasons why I have decided to cut down carbohydrates, but it is definitely not for everyone.

Perhaps you should then eat at maintenance for a few days and then cut the calories again. It may shock your body into kick-starting your weight loss. It is possible you may gain first, but hopefully that will be worth it. I have heard that this method has helped many people experiencing a plateau.

Hope this helps :-)
  • deanmarino
    deanmarino Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Change your ratios to 40% Carbs, 35% protein and 25% fat. The standard settings are different. It's in "goals".

Let me know if you need more info.

Regards,
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    I'm thinking that 1200 calories a day is pretty low. Your body is probably trying to "conserve" energy and food.

This may seem counter intuitive but some days after I just go crazy and eat what I want which might include some junk and, for some reason, my weight goes down. I just can't make it a habit because I'll start to gain, again. A day here ad there seems to tell my body I'm not starving.

So, 1200 calories is my net calories. I actually eat anywhere from 1600 – 2000 calories per day. So I eat plenty. Is there something else I am missing about net calories? I feel like I just can’t eat more than that most days, unless I went out to eat all the time or started eating more junk food, which I would rather not do…
  • VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Like I said, I used to do the same thing... Only counting calories, I am also at 1200 calories.

Also did Weight Watchers for a while which was about 1150 calories a day for my height and weight...

I didnt lose anything, and was doing Zumba, Kick Boxing, Step, Jogging, name it!

My friend told me about the carbs and I said the same thing : My carbs are from fruits and whole weat...

She then said, please try it...

I tried it! And in a week I had lost 4 pounds, WITHOUT starving myself.

I just eat a lot more meat, cheese and vegetables.

No crackers, bread, pasta, weat, oatmeal etc...

My weight just started to go down.

30g is a low number, I agree... But you could try 50-60g easily if you are already a healthy eater.

You would be surprise to see that there are carbs everywhere... Especially in fruits.

Anyways, thats my advice :)