Carb/fat/protein balance - thoughts please

Options
MFP set my targets at carb 50%, Fat 30%, Protein 20%. I have no knowledge to know why this is desirable.
I'm losing consistently but average 33% of each or maybe 50% carbs and 30% protein 20% fat.
Any insights welcome.
Given the weights coming off not rushing to change what I'm doing - but maybe the balance will be more important when I have less to lose. (Currently about 11 - 14lb to come off).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The default is just a suggestion, a starting point. Nutrition is not an exct science. Eating well is about enjoying what you eat as well. You're doing great.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I could feel myself getting stressed because what I am doing is different to what is suggested. When in fact I should be proud of what I'm achieving.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'd say that unless you're looking to dial things in to get super lean, go with the suggestions for now. Weight loss will occur as you stick to the plan. Don't for get to treat yourself.

dxj7zqusldvn.png

I have no clue how this applies to your post. I just wanted to use the gif for something.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the standard diet recommendations are probably 55 % C, 15 %P, 30 %F. MFP tweaked that for more protein to support exercise & weight loss so have 50/20/30 as their default - you can change it easily. 30 % Fat is low for many to hit, the accepted range of protein intake in general guidance is 10-35% of calories so you're within that.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12035-can-i-customize-my-nutritional-goals-
  • puzzledstill
    Options
    Thank you for your reply and the extra info. I think my low fat eating has a number of reasons. I had gallstones (now removed) so couldn't eat much fat. I've recently stopped weight watchers and there was a push to low fat products. Im enjoying MFP and I think it makes my eating more 'normal'.
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've consulted with many evidence based nutritionists during my weight loss journey and the general consensus is to start with just eating within your calorie goal, once you master that you can adjust your macros. The suggestion I was given is change your protein percentage so that you are eating 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Then adjust the fat and carbs down to get them all at 100%. Carbs and fat are not as important as eating enough protein. Protein helps so that you lose fat and not muscle. Hope that is helpful. Mine are set at 40 carbs- 35 protein- 25 fat.
  • puzzledstill
    Options
    Thank you. Macros are new to me so info useful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    The first time I used MFP, in 2012, I just used the MFP default macros: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat. This time around, I reduced my carbs and upped my protein and found this combo fills me up better, thus making it easier for me to stick to a calorie deficit.

However, I have vegan friends who do great on much higher carbs and lower protein than I do. Satiety is very individual.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jcummings6 wrote: »
    I've consulted with many evidence based nutritionists during my weight loss journey and the general consensus is to start with just eating within your calorie goal, once you master that you can adjust your macros. The suggestion I was given is change your protein percentage so that you are eating 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Then adjust the fat and carbs down to get them all at 100%. Carbs and fat are not as important as eating enough protein. Protein helps so that you lose fat and not muscle. Hope that is helpful. Mine are set at 40 carbs- 35 protein- 25 fat.

one small adjustment - normally .8-1g protein per lean muscle mass or goal body weight

some reading i says that fat should be .4-.6g per goal body weight

then carbs fall where they may

my breakdown is about 50% Carb, 25% Protein, 25% Fat
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

It's generally recommended that most dieters get more protein than the average person to prevent muscle loss, though with so little to lose (provided you aren't trying to lose weight at too aggressive a deficit), this might not be a concern for you.

I agree with the numbers deannafisher quoted, and since most people can't accurately assess their lean body mass, a good rule of thumb is to use .85 - 1g of protein per pound of ideal body weight.

I don't necessarily agree that fat intake needs to be as high as .4-.6 grams of ideal body weight, especially given your gallbladder situation, though you should discuss this with your doctor.

Carbs can fall where they may.

One thing I have found is that my macro needs and preferences have changed throughout this process depending on what my hormones have been doing and what my activity levels have been. The most important thing, I've found, is to put satiety and compliance above being sure any macro balance is ideal for me ;)

Right now, I'm currently doing very well on about 55 C - 30P - 15 F.
  • puzzledstill
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Some useful info for me to think about.
    At the moment I'm eating within calories and then seeing what percentage of c/f/p I've had - rather than planning a particular %. Since leaving ww I am having more fat - which I like as it means less processed (low fat) foods. Body seems happy with that - no issues not having gall bladder and weight coming off. I expect I will plateau soon and I'll then look at my info and see what has worked. I think this approach will work better when I get to maintenance - that's where I really struggled with weight watchers.