Anyone feel self conscious exercising in public?

Options
I bought a gym membership, but the thing is, the only gym in this new little town I'm living in is very small. I've worked out at big gyms with different floors where you could kind of feel like you're hiding away a little. But at this little gym, everyone is in this space together. There are no other gyms around here and I just feel self conscious about people seeing me. The thing is, I am moving out of this town in December so I shouldn't care, but the thought of people seeing me just gives me pause everytime I consider going. But at home, I won't work out. I need an elliptical. Videos are too easy to quit and aren't fun.

Anyone else feel similarly? How do you overcome it?

Replies

• camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options
    I used to. Now I just forget anybody else is there. What they do is their business, what I do is mine.

Don't think about it so much! People don't care half as much as you think they do. They're probably too busy sweating their *kitten* off to notice whatever you're doing.
  • FunSizedK
    FunSizedK Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    An Ipod and headphones!!!! Don't think about anything else but the music while you are there
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's why I work out at home. I hate exercising in public.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way. The I started telling myself JFDI (Just Effing Do it) every time I started to talk myself into being a baby. I am a strong, beautiful woman and there is no reason why I shouldn't be proud of my efforts.

And you should feel the same way :)
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I bought a gym membership, but the thing is, the only gym in this new little town I'm living in is very small. I've worked out at big gyms with different floors where you could kind of feel like you're hiding away a little. But at this little gym, everyone is in this space together. There are no other gyms around here and I just feel self conscious about people seeing me. The thing is, I am moving out of this town in December so I shouldn't care, but the thought of people seeing me just gives me pause everytime I consider going. But at home, I won't work out. I need an elliptical. Videos are too easy to quit and aren't fun.

Anyone else feel similarly? How do you overcome it?

Yes, but I find I work out MUCH harder when I know (read THINK) everyone's eyes are on me - I throw on my iPod and close my eyes, get into the music and when I'm done I'm a sweat fest and then the looks I get are of impressed or approving gym folks... It's a really nice feeling - :)
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use to but not anymore. Mine is a 24/7 gym so I can go when it's not that busy. The only time I feel a little out of place is during zumba. I seem to be the biggest person in the class. Everyone there is so friendly though that I got over it.
  • bearsfan2334
    bearsfan2334 Posts: 137
    Options
    Whenever people talk about feeling self conscious at a gym (inlcuding myself)... I ask this question - Would you rather have people see you in a gym working up a sweat orrrrrrrrr sitting at McDonald's chomping on a burger and fries with a soda?

Just some "food for thought." Stay strong and go to the gym - YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • KitKB
    KitKB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I try to go to yoga class and it's a very difficult level. I'm constantly having to stop to get my breath. I'm overweight and short while all the other people in the class are tall and skinny. I've even had the instructor look right at me while saying: "It's okay if you can't do the pose..." Yeesh. I guess I just try to push it out of my mind.

Then you also have that awkwardness when you try out a new machine and you sit there staring at all the buttons, trying to figure it out. And you can just feel eyes on you! I really want to try out free weights, but the free weight section is in the back and is completely swarmed by muscle men, not a girl in sight. Don't know what they'd think about having some short girl fumbling with the weights and trying to figure things out. . . .
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I put on my headphones in the car and turn off when I leave....as far as I know I am the only one in there.
  • mon_cherie
    Options
    I run...VERY slowly. I could walk as fast as I run. LOL But I've been told it's the change in gait that's important so I keep at it. I'm getting faster day by day. :) Anyway, whenever I feel embarrassed about how slow I run, I think to myself that no matter how slow I am, I'm faster than the guy on the couch. I'm moving and that's what's important.

I'm joining a gym this week and I am feeling many of the same things you are. But I keep telling myself that I am working out and I am bettering myself. Do you pay attention or judge anyone else when you're there? Probably not. You're focused on yourself. So is everyone else ;) I've never thought a bad thing about anyone at the gym (other than you know the obnoxious people ;) ) so I assume no one is thinking anything bad about me :)
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    As long as you clean off your machines after you use them, don't hog the machines and don't drop the weights with a huge bang, no one is probably going to notice you. And if they do (and it has happened to me) they are very encouraging and supportive. So get to the gym! (And have fun!):laugh:
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's why I work out at home. I hate exercising in public.

same, except for my pole class. Everyone there is super nice, and very supportive of each other.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could bring a friend or make a new friend at the gym and work out together? I know when I work out with friends I feel less "silly" and I enjoy myself a lot more.
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be a big deal, you are becoming a healthier you and thats what important, not strangers.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym I was extremely self conscious. I found a gym where I was comfortable and people did their own thing. No one pays any attention to what others are doing (unless they are doing something completely off the wall! LOL). I go, workout and leave. I don't pay any attention to what other people are doing and they don't pay attention to me. Go and focus on YOUR workout.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    iPod and focus on what YOU are doing....

Don't let your self consciousness detract from going in and getting your sweat on..... It's not high school gym class....go kick some @$$!
  • schibs
    schibs Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am used to working out in a team atmosphere, but when working out alone when other people are around just makes me push it a little harder. I love competition!
  • foremaar012
    Options
    I think there will always be that little voice saying people are judging me.....but i feel so much better after working out that it trumps anything. Now i think well if I'm THAT sweaty and gross maybe they wont use the machine or area around me and i can pretend its my privet gym!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    when i was a member of a gym, i would go EARLY, like right when they opened. that's when all the "serious" people are there. they're there to do what they gotta do, not to socialize or judge, and if anything, i'm sure they would respect the fact that you're there trying to get healthy.

the evening crowd usually make me more self conscious and i always felt out of place. i kinda felt like the gym was more like a night club than a gym. i would always go as early as i could. =)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Honestly, people in the gym are usually too focused on their own workouts to notice you. Unless, like someone else said, if you drop the weights loudly or actually bring attention to yourself.