Losing 35 pounds in 3 months???

Options
I want to lose 35+ pounds in 3 months. But I plan to eat healthy and workout doing boxing, kick boxing, jump rope and weight lifting. Any one have any suggestions or tips during this challenge? Also, is eating 800-1000 calories to few or too much for this goal? Thanks!

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you're not 300+ pounds and under doctor supervision for a VLCD all you're going to do is lose a bunch of muscle because you won't be giving your body the fuel it needs to maintain it. If you only have 35 pounds to lose total, 1 pound a week should be your target to retain as much muscle as possible whilst losing fat. Do it safely you can make a massive difference by losing 12 pounds and losing inches with strength training. Honestly noone is trying to sabotage you by saying this, losing weight that will damage your body in an unhealthy way to get a number on the scale is like chopping a limb off to get a number on the scale. Take care and be safe. xxx
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    35 pounds is a total calorie deficit of 35*7000 = 245000 calories.
    You want to achieve this in 3 months or 12 weeks.
    245000/12weeks/7 days = 2917 calories per day that you need to eat less to achieve this.

If you're 350pounds then this might just be achievable. But lets just say you're 200 pounds, 30 years old, 170cm, female and sedentary. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ will give you a daily calorie need of 2031 to stay on the same weight.
    2031 - 2917 = less than zero. You cannot eat nothing at all and do sport for around 900 calories for three months. Most people will not even manage a single day.

So please keep your expectations down, use what MFP has given you and just start slowly.

Your point is valid but your math is off because you used 7000 instead of 3500.

Ayyyy! not sure what I was thinking! I'll fix it above. Still that's a massive deficit. Thanks mate!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Joy5434 wrote: »
    I want to lose 35+ pounds in 3 months. But I plan to eat healthy and workout doing boxing, kick boxing, jump rope and weight lifting. Any one have any suggestions or tips during this challenge? Also, is eating 800-1000 calories to few or too much for this goal? Thanks!

If you were to bounce around the various TDEE calculators around the net (there are many), they will have features that allow you to plan for weight loss. I have never seen a single one that allows for the option of the speed of weight loss you are looking for. As the posters mentioned above, if you are morbidly obese, that rate could happen, but then if that were the case 35 pounds in 3 months as a goal wouldn't really mean much would it?

I am assuming you are wanting to lose weight for health. If that's the case, then you should do it in a healthy way. Simply losing weight isn't enough - especially too quickly.

If you are doing it just for looks, you may find out that quick (like a crash diet) weight loss doesn't really help that either because doing this in too quick of a manner makes you unhealthy, which shows up in other areas - including the way you look.

What does 35 pounds in 3 months mean to you and why do you have such an aggressive goal?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Joy5434 wrote: »

Your goal is aggressive and unhealthy. It is not a sustainable plan long term.
    Eating 800-1000 calories while planning to be active is not "eating healthy" as you will not be meeting your body's needs. It is too low for a sedentary person. The minimum recommended amount for women is 1200 calories. If you are active you should definitely eat more than the bare minimum. Put your information into my fitness pal and get an appropriate calorie goal for your age, height, weight and activity level without exercise. When you exercise log it and eat some of the calories added.

If you are 50+ lbs overweight then a goal of losing 2 lbs a week is probably okay. If you are less than 50 lbs overweight 1 lb a week is more reasonable and sustainable. As you get closer to a healthy weight your rate of loss should slow.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are not morbidly obese and 35 is all you have to lose, losing it in three months would be considered rapid weight loss.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    ALSO from a vanity's perspective, the faster you lose weight the more loose skin you have and the harder it is to get it to stretch back because gravity is still pulling that hanging skin down and stretching it all the while.

So, my advice is to lose slowly and eat things that nourish your skin as your body shrinks so that you glow from the inside out. You want to include things like high quality protein, collagen, phyto-nutrients, high quality animal and vegetable fats.

Ref:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/myths-truths-about-nutrition/
    https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/ask-the-doctor/losing-weight/

No. So much no.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Target 20-25 instead. You'll still feel great afterwards and would be hard pressed to tell the difference from losing 35.