Sugar cravings: how do you get your mind off strong cravings for junk food?

Options
Hi everyone! So I love sugar... It's the main reason I'm over weight. I haven't had any desserts in a week, but still strongly crave them. Any suggestions for substitutions or ways to fix my sugar cravings?

Replies

• cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Find a Greek yogurt that you like (Dannon Light and Fit is my favorite!) and put it in the freezer. Eat it when you crave ice cream.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You can try and find substitutions - greek yogurt, fruit, infused water, etc. Another option would be to go on Pintrest or other sites and look up sweet yet healthy recipes that are more natural and get to cooking. Or the last option is moderation (this is hard for some people and does take practice). I use moderation because I feel when I restrict myself too much, I will eventually give in and overeat on "splurge" foods. A hand full of gummy bears at the end of the day, or half a cup of ice cream, or some sugar free pudding will usually do the trick for me. I just count it into my day on my diary.

Pick what works for you. Good luck
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, going cold turkey is the only thing that works. After about two weeks the cravings stop and sugary things taste too sweet. It helps if you cut back on added salt, since salt makes you crave sweet.

Instead, I eat naturally sweetened foods like fruit. Some of my favorite snacks are berries with Greek yogurt, and latte with almond milk, cinnamon and dark chocolate.
  • littlewolf3785
    littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    I used to have a really bad sweet tooth and when I came across cookies, candy, cakes and pies I had no problem turning the blind eye and eating it. Now since, I have been eating more fruits, yogurt with fruit and some granola for a crunch or have even pureed fruit and frozen it in ice cube trays for a sweet cold treat. Once you have gotten your sweet tooth under control and realized when your body is not craving it anymore, it will be easier to turn down sweets.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i experimented to see what it was about sugary foods that I loved so much. taste? feeding an emotional need? actual physical craving? I figured out it was a bit of everything, and that I was fine with none, but a little would start an intense craving, even after a full well-balanced meal. i found a sweetener I liked (had to do some taste testing - none of the major brands suited me - there are other options online). I use that when I want to sweeten something - it doesn't cause further cravings for me. When I eat one serving of a sweet thing, I acknowledge to myself before hand that I'm going to want more, and won't have more, and do i want to eat it if I'm left more unsatisfied than I started? My sweet tooth has indeed subsided - but it constantly takes mindfulness on my part. But having several months of foregoing sweets and feeling better and more in control is helping me to continue to moderate them heavily.
  • emott88
    emott88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm horribly addicted to sugar. Whenever I'm craving sugar, I drink water flavored with Mio. It doesn't have any calories, and it has the sweetness I crave. It's usually enough to curb my craving.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've got more of a salt tooth than a sweet one, but the principle is the same: find something within my calories that satisfies the same basic 'want', based on taste, texture, etc. So, when I want something sweet, my go-to is Quakers Corn Squares cereal. It's sweet, gives me a good chunk of my iron RDA, isn't a guilty pleasure or hard to moderate, the way the marshmallow chocolate-frosted stuff would be; if I weigh out 30 grams on the scale, I can finish that and stop. If I want something a bit softer, I make applesauce in my crock pot; about 105 calories per half-cup. And there are frozen treats like sorbet (basically, strawberries, lemon juice, water, and sugar... but also around 100, 110 calories per serving) and granita (orange and green tea are both under 120 calories; lemon-lime needs more sugar and isn't as good a choice).

Salty would be Skinny Pop popcorn, string cheese, veggie dogs... occasionally 'pop chips', but those are a bit harder for me to moderate.
  • Indigolove626
    Indigolove626 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing and very inspiring!!!
  • dragonfly_66
    dragonfly_66 Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I eat a TON of fruit with yogurt and nuts noe that I'm off sugar. The key to making it sustainable is to still eat food you love. Be creative! I've been experimenting with dates and coconut butter candy.
    Quitting sugar is super helpful I've lost over 20 since may in part by this and have started a weight loss blog. I lost 70 lbs before. www.bigtinysteps.com
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Think about what it is doing to your health. The more you crave it, the more obvious it becomes that you really need to leave it behind.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'll have a couple of squares of dark chocolate and let them melt in my mouth for a mid-day sweet fix.

One of my favorite desserts I like to have in the evening: a mini shortcake shell, strawberries, and whipped cream. 155 calories, and a mighty satisfying treat!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan dessert every night. It gives me something to look forward to all day.
  • muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you decide to ban something that you enjoy you tend to crave it more. Learn to incorporate the foods you love, in moderation, into your daily or weekly food plan.

W
    If you decide to ban something that you enjoy you tend to crave it more. Learn to incorporate the foods you love, in moderation, into your daily or weekly food plan.
    Well said friend