Breakfast ideas

Options
Ugh. I'm so disappointed in myself. I worked so hard for 5 months and dropped the ball the past 3 weeks and I feel it. I was going to the gym everyday 5x/week eating healthy and looking/feeling good. I got onto some new meds that I was having a hard time adjusting to and now am seeing the consequences. Ugh. I know I really need to step up my game in the eating department. I am looking for breakfast ideas. Something that will keep me full and that isn't full of sugar as right now, its the quick cereal fix! Any tips or recipes would be lovely!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like steel cut oatmeal. I just like the texture better and it reheats well in the microwave. You can make a big batch and reheat as you need it. I usually add peanut butter.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What keeps you full for lunch and dinner? Once I realized I could eat literally anything for breakfast, my life got a lot easier.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I tried a Jimmy Dean turkey sausage-egg white-potato bowl this morning. Frozen food section at Walmart, $2. 230 calories, and it was good/filling.

Turkey sausage crumbles and scrambled eggs would be quick & easy as you could could one lot of it then eat it over a few days.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict your thoughts to "breakfast" foods... Eat whatever you like! Dinner leftovers, eggs, yoghurt, smoothies etc, anything goes!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I brew the coffee the night before. I put the dried coconut in the bottom of the cup so the hot coffee will rehydrate it. I let it sit on the counter to cool off for about a half hour before putting it in the frig.

I used to use coconut oil, but 1. it solidifies in cold drinks and 2. when I switched to dried coconut for the summer I discovered it was much more filling than equal calories of oil.

f7bc35031dc075ced3feb2551cb83ff5.png
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I brew the coffee the night before. I put the dried coconut in the bottom of the cup so the hot coffee will rehydrate it. I let it sit on the counter to cool off for about a half hour before putting it in the frig.

I used to use coconut oil, but 1. it solidifies in cold drinks and 2. when I switched to dried coconut for the summer I discovered it was much more filling than equal calories of oil.

f7bc35031dc075ced3feb2551cb83ff5.png

Oh, I love this idea for coconut and coffee. I'm going to try it!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    as others have said - anything! I have frozen meals quite often at work for breakfast (i.e. stouffer's mac and cheese) and get all kinds of crazy looks, then everyone smells it and says how wonderful it looks and smells!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I like to have a Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean burger topped with a poached egg for any meal. It's less than 200 cals and super filling. Sometimes I add cheese for an extra calorie/protein boost.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal squares because they generally keep me full and provide a good deal of fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What keeps you full for lunch and dinner? Once I realized I could eat literally anything for breakfast, my life got a lot easier.

This.

My usual breakfast IS pretty traditional -- a 2 egg vegetable omelet with some smoked salmon, cottage cheese, or plain greek yogurt -- but I go through phases where I have leftover dinner foods. Lately I've been wanting salads, so today I had a salad with an egg on it.

I also like steel cut oats with protein powder and berries or, even better for me, with an egg and some vegetables (savory oats).

If you want super easy no fuss, making egg muffin cups ahead (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/article/muffin-tin-eggs-breakfast) or overnight oats may work, or just have some greek yogurt and berries, perhaps.

There are as many options for breakfast as for any other meal!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I still love Egg McMuffins...360ish calories and a great balance of protein, carbs, and fat. They're super quick/easy to make at home if you were so inclined, too.

Lately, I've taken to making a big pot of black beans for the week. Basically, saute some onion, green pepper, and garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add two cans of black beans, oregano, one teaspoon sugar, and a packet of Goya Sazon seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes and add a half a tablespoon of white vinegar. Add additional salt/pepper/vinegar to taste. The recipe works out to something like 100 calories per half cup serving. Google "Goya cuban black beans" for a more exact recipe.

The beans work for all meals (especially in burritos) but my favorite is to have them for breakfast with a half cup of rice and a poached egg on top. Maybe a little crumbled bacon if I'm feeling saucy. It's a tasty and solid high protein 350ish calorie breakfast...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I usually have plain greek yogurt (usually full-fat, not fat-free. The store was out of full-fat last time I went), mixed with protein powder and frozen berries.

mphabagy0w05.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I still love Egg McMuffins...360ish calories and a great balance of protein, carbs, and fat. They're super quick/easy to make at home if you were so inclined, too.

Lately, I've taken to making a big pot of black beans for the week. Basically, saute some onion, green pepper, and garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil. Add two cans of black beans, oregano, one teaspoon sugar, and a packet of Goya Sazon seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes and add a half a tablespoon of white vinegar. Add additional salt/pepper/vinegar to taste. The recipe works out to something like 100 calories per half cup serving. Google "Goya cuban black beans" for a more exact recipe.

The beans work for all meals (especially in burritos) but my favorite is to have them for breakfast with a half cup of rice and a poached egg on top. Maybe a little crumbled bacon if I'm feeling saucy. It's a tasty and solid high protein 350ish calorie breakfast...

I love having beans for breakfast. They store well in the fridge, can be seasoned in all kinds of ways, and have enough protein and fiber to keep me going until lunch.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I usually make a protein shake in the morning, but when I'm sick of that or in a rush, I grab a frozen burrito. Good Food Made Simple - that's the brand I use. They are convenient and come in a variety of flavors. Only $1.99 each at Target.
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow I never thought of the idea of eat anything! I'm so programmed to eggs, cereal, toast etc for breakfast! I'm going to give it a try of eat anything and not limiting myself to just "breakfast"! (Healthy of course!) thanks guys!!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    One I salute some veggies and potatoes, add eggs, then some avocado for healthy fat. Keeps me full until lunch. These days I've been lazy and I made a egg, cheese, and veggie sausage on a light English muffin.