Starting Over - Ugh

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
I told myself I would never be the one to have to write a "starting again" post because I wouldn't let myself get so off track that I needed a post like this....
Well its my turn. Since last May (2016) I was able to loose a total of 87lbs (from 275 - 188), I have since gone back up to 196.5 as of this morning and my clothes are starting to fit tight and I just feel like *kitten* :(
I am having such a tough time, especially at night once the kids are asleep (Night Eating Syndrome) and am completely sabotaging myself.
I am so disappointed in myself - I was so happy with my progress, and people were noticing and giving me awesome compliments. I feel disgusted because now people are going to see me going back up in weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with the night eating? its like a completely different person takes over and I can't control myself.

Replies

• rtogetfit93
    rtogetfit93 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem! I find that setting myself a 'cut-off' on my phone that pops up saying "End of eating window" is quite useful. Another good thing to do is to have your last meal and eat it slowly- make sure you're accepting the fact that is your last meal of the day, and then close your food diary on here. Try to get into a window of eating that suits you.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of self-criticism in your post. I wonder if you vacillate between berating yourself and then 'making up for it' by eating to comfort yourself. Maybe work on acceptance---you lost 87 lbs !!!! and you have not gained it all back, not even a full 10 lbs. So you shouldn't be 'disgusted' with yourself, just take it as the sign you need to investigate what's going on. Presumably you did not have this issue when you were losing weight--so what is different now? Do you have a diet and non diet mentality? Are you allowing yourself adequately satisfying meals during the day? what is it you're actually feeling at night? bored? exhausted? neglected?

For me, night eating is often about "me time" and its when we're most tired and prone to crave sweets, etc. so now, if I need/want a bit of sweet, I have it in the afternoon, and then at night have tea with some milk and honey and then brush my teeth and find another non food relaxation--reading a novel in the bath, etc--for 'me' time (well, sometimes I have a glass of wine). but I also try to go to bed and wake up earlier, and in the morning, get my 'me time' by drinking coffee and reading the paper before anyone else is up (or hit the gym).
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    1. Congratulations on the weight loss! You have accomplished something tremendous already.

As to the night eating, I find it helps to make sure dinner is really filling. Also, perhaps you are eating dinner too early or staying up too late? If even that doesn't help you can always plan for a late night snack just make sure you work it into your daily calories.
  • AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!

A really good tip that has worked for me is that night eating is more of a habit than a need. I needed to feed the habit until I can curb it so I buy a bag of snap peas or lettuce to sit on the couch and feed that habit. Low calorie and crunchy. It sounds crazy but it works for me.

Also drink lots of water...you will feel so full you won't want to eat.

I've also pampered myself when my daughter goes to bed....do my nails or a facial....anything that keeps me actively entertained until I go to bed...even if watching tv at the same time, your hands and mind are busy pampering instead of snacking. The next morning you feel great and even better that you didn't snack.

Have an end eating time. Before I had my daughter, it was seven o'clock for me. No eating past 7pm. These days with the crazy hectic life, who knows and every day is different but I still try when I can.

Once you decide you are done eating dinner for the night, tape the fridge or cupboard closed. I mean literally tape it. Duct tape, painters tape, scotch tape...all have different strengths to combat your the strength of your habit and durability of the cupboards....choose wisely. After you realize you have to go to all the trouble to peeling the tape off, you will realize it is not worth it. Put a barrier between you and your snacks.

One final tip...get on here and message me. Or anyone...just get on MFP and read success stories, other peoples frustrations, make a few posts - whatever will get you through and don't give in.

All the best and good luck! Msg me anytime!

Ashley
  • awildwomanatheart
    awildwomanatheart Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Girl...been there. I am there. I've probably tried a million different "plans" a million different ways, and it would never stick. I've always been heavier in my family, my lowest being 196 in college and three weeks ago at my highest of 262. Last year I had an awakening that totally shifted my perspective on life and everything that goes with it. Including weight. I stopped looking at it as a number and more of just a feeling. I didn't feel good, so I had to change. I stopped looking at weight as just one problem that if I fixed it, then everything else would be better too. Although it sure does help, it wasn't just the one problem to fix it all. I gave myself two weeks of getting into it, it usually takes that long to get through the "crappy" feeling. If I could make it through that, then I've got it. I never lasted two weeks before. Maybe with exercise, but NEVER with food. Something always came up.

So I armed myself with a new plan and cut out all my weaknesses. No bread, no added sugar (fruit only), no sweet tea, and no processed foods. I only ate the serving size, and water...lots and lots of water. No eating after 7pm, period. I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to do it, but I did! It was hard. My husband and kids would be eating pizza or his famous Italian sausages, and I'm over here eating two chicken tenderloins grilled and veggies. But man...it was so worth it! I've lost at last count 10lbs so far and I'm three weeks in. I know a lot of that was water weight, but its still a positive! I don't crave bread anymore or sugar. I eat pretty close to what you would call a Keto diet, but I don't like to box myself in. If you need some flavor, Ms. Dash or McCormick's seasoning packets are great! When it comes to water, sometimes I'll use the crystal light packets and those are only 5 calories. I don't eat any carbs other than what comes from my proteins, veggies, and fruit. I try to workout at least an hour a day. I have two kids so it's not always easy but I workout at home to Denise Austin and the kids do it with me (they think it's fun lol) or when my husband is off, I'll go for a job/walk. my objective is to weigh in once a month, so I don't discourage myself. You'll gain muscle which is heavier than fat, but sometimes being a big girl, we can't help but seeing it as a negative.

As far as the snacking at night, you just have to say no. That was a big thing for me. Eat dinner and then after the kids go to bed, well I practically ate a second dinner. I just had to tell myself NO and you're never get there if you keep making excuses for yourself. So I sucked it up, nothing after 7pm, period. At first I was hungry, it's body getting used to things and when you go from excess eating to limiting, it's a change. You get used to it though. Like I said I'm three weeks in and I'm seeing changes. I get full faster, I don't want to eat the things I did before, I've seen it on the scale and just the tone in my muscles coming forth. I sleep way better! No more snoring, no more getting up several times a night. It's worth it, and worth it to keep going. YOU CAN DO THIS! You just have to make up your mind, and I know, I know it's so much easier said than done, but I know what changing has done for me and I know what it could do for you. You know what it can do for you! So buck up and let's all do this together. You've got this girl...I know you can. Hope you have an amazing day! :)<3
  • maripanda
    maripanda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is also me, our weights are currently similar, and I eat pretty well through the day til the wee ones are in bed. Here are few things that have helped me with evening eating in the past (like...before I regained the weight ;):smile:

Exercise in the evening....I can't get out because the wee ones are in bed, but yoga dvd has been SUCH a help, and once it's done I don't want to ruin my efforts. I'm thinking of getting a treadmill to change things up a bit.

Have a regular evening snack...mine is low fat chocolate (sachet, so no over-doing it) and an apple. And water. That's what I have if I'm hungry/bored/feel like I require some sort of bedtime 'reward'

Don't buy nice stuff. I mean there's nothing at all in the kitchen I would bother snacking on haha like at very best there's toast, or maybe cream crackers?! But nothing snacky. If I buy it, I'll eat it. And the children don't need it either.

That's all, hope it helps a bit :) frustrating isn't it, I often actually think of a snack at night as a reward to get me through the day...but that has to stop (again.)
  • maripanda
    maripanda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ooooh and I forgot. Brush your teeth after each meal :) it really helps to signify the end of eating.
  • Beth150Ann
    Beth150Ann Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have a bad habit of night-time eating but I'm trying something new that seems to help. I changed up my routine. I get to work early (@630) leave work ON TIME (@330). Get home and have my dinner@5 -- go for a walk then come back and take a shower and get ready for the next day and bed. The exercise at night seems to really help (and I finally getting my exercise in!) and I'm pretty tired when I come back. And with this new routine I miss most of the traffic -- so the extra time I would have spent waiting in traffic can now be put to better use. I getting more bang for my 24 hours.