I just don't understand....

Options
2»

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    sifmole wrote: »
    Angela - Nope. The only change in the two hour period was eating 1oz of raw almonds. No other output or input.

No breathing or sweating?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Scales can be annoying. You can weigh yourself 3 times in the course of 5 minutes, on the same scale. And for many scales: get 3 different readings. Check your scale. If I'm right, what are your options? Get a new scale which may do the same. Or realize that weight loss is less about the exact # on the scale and more about the change in your weight over time. To track the trend, pick a weigh in routine and be consistent. Track the values. Over time. Such as compare your weight June 1 to July 1 to August 1.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    https://examine.com/nutrition/does-daily-weighing-help-you-lose-weight/

Basically, your weight may fluctuate because:

1. Poop/pee in your body
    2. Glycogen stores
    3. Water weight
    4. Inaccurate scale

Bottom line: don't worry about it, track your progress over weeks and months and follow your trendline instead of minor fluctuations.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates naturally throughout the day and day to day...step away from the friggin' scale.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with the notion that frequent measurements are not better but the OP has a point. Basic thermodynamics says that weight should not increase for lack of any other inputs. If anything, weight should be less due to liquid loss from breathing. The most likely explanation is scale/measurement variation.

That said, if the OP really meant .06 of a pound, that works out to .96 oz, or just about the same weight as the almonds eaten.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with the notion that frequent measurements are not better but the OP has a point. Basic thermodynamics says that weight should not increase for lack of any other inputs. If anything, weight should be less due to liquid loss from breathing. The most likely explanation is scale/measurement variation.

That said, if the OP really meant .06 of a pound, that works out to .96 oz, or just about the same weight as the almonds eaten.

Yes, the answer is almost certainly error in the scale. Home body weight scales are not particularly accurate and can be sensitive to a number of factors, including temperature, hysteresis, humidity, electronic interference, symmetry of loading, etc.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Angela - Nope. The only change in the two hour period was eating 1oz of raw almonds. No other output or input.

She gained.
  • Seffell
    edited July 2017
    Options

Your scale measured you inaccurately is the only possible and the correct answer (did you expect a different one?) Either you moved it to a different surface or it is inherently faulty. I'm assuming you used the same clothes.

What the others here are talking about (normal daily fluctuations) is irrelevent here since there has been no input and you have gained. So even though weighing only once a day is recommended, in this case your question is completely reasonable and has nothing to do with obsession so you should not stay away from the scale but indeed ask questions (thank goodness some people do cos forget about progress otherwise).
  • Jruzer
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

She gained.

I'm aware of that. I'm just responding to "No other output or input."
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh the almonds?
  • Seffell
    Options

She gained.

Yes, in this case @Jruzer is correct. We lose fat while breathing and evaporaring. So if it was a loss it would not need output from other... erm places.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

She gained.

Yes, in this case @Jruzer is correct. We lose fat while breathing and evaporaring. So if it was a loss it would not need output from other... erm places.

I'm not sure if I ever evaporared. Is that one of those things my parents should have spoken to me about when I was younger?
  • Seffell
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

She gained.

I'm not sure if I ever evaporared. Is that one of those things my parents should have spoken to me about when I was younger?

Your sweat evaporates all the time. I don't know why your parents never mentioned it. (but I get that you're just picking on me :wink: )
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I figure it's my scale punishing me for getting on the scale too often. I sometimes do this after I've gone to the loo right after having weighed myself. The damned scale either tells me I weigh the same or weigh more, which is technically impossible. So, it's the scale messing with me. Inanimate objects are not to be trusted. ... gonna go adjust my tinfoil bonnet ...
  • sifmole
    sifmole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    All -- a couple of responses

1) It was late, I was bored and curious, this is not a standard thing for me to do.

2) I did weigh the almonds, twice.

3) I actually received the same number in three different resets of the scale.

4) I meant 6/10ths of a lb. 0.6 not 0.06.

5) I was curious if there wasn't a metabolic process occurring at rest that was somehow converting "loose calories" (I don't have a better term) from the free state to fat, and such a state transition causing the same chemical compounds to weigh more. Although I would be curious as to where 1700 free calories would be coming from as I am eating 1500 a day (measuring everything) at a 300 calorie deficit.

6) We are always told CICO... if that is true, then why does normal weight fluctuation occur? If we assume a consistent lifestyle day-to-day?

Thanks all.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

6) We are always told CICO... if that is true, then why does normal weight fluctuation occur? If we assume a consistent lifestyle day-to-day?

Thanks all.

Because it's impossible for one day to be identical to another. One day I might each more sodium and hold water weight. I may not have pooped in 3 days. I may have sweat away more moisture during a regular workout. Our bodies perform complex processes that utilize our food and water at varying rates.

• laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Thanks all.

If you're genuinely interested, this is a really good article regarding the CICO equation. Someone posted it on MFP the other day.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/metabolic-damage
  • Jruzer
    Options

Thanks all.

This one's fairly simple. It's mostly variation in the amount of water and food waste in your body. This can lead to variations of several pounds per day. When people say CICO, what they mean is actual body composition of muscle, fat, bone, etc. It's silly otherwise, because you can drink a pint of water and gain a pound instantly without consuming any calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Analogy time! Think of a city bus that operates 24-7. The weight of the bus is pretty much the same, with a slight variance due to levels of gas, oil, etc. But the city bus has people getting on and off at each stop. So the total weight of the bus including contents is always changing.

The bus is the human body. Its shell does not change weight in a short period of time.
    The gas, oil, etc. are food and beverages which are consumed on a daily basis. The physical weight of what we put in, and out again as waste. It varies as we eat/drink/expel waste and urine/sweat/tears steadily thru the day.
    And the passengers are water weight. Constantly moving up/down

Of course, the human body's weight can be changed, over time, by eating at a deficit. Any other changes are short term as a result of food/beverage/waste/water fluctuation.

Thanks all.