Where are the witches? Pagans, Heathens, New Agers alike & More

Options
nosleepinBrooklyn
nosleepinBrooklyn Posts: 15 Member
I've been practicing the Craft since I was about 13. My personal practice is always evolving and expanding, but always includes respect for the Earth.

Are any of you on the "Alternative" side of spirituality? What's your practice like?

I'd love to have some witchy buddies on here!

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    You called?

I'm mostly a solitary practitioner; my own beliefs and practices are closest to druidry, but I work with a lot of heathens because my friend's husband is a heathen.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Practicing agnostic philosopher Christian alien theorist with Buddhist nuances and heathen desires.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Do people older than teenagers believe in this...?

I ask this same question about all religions....

i was going to post something, but it would get flagged. this is very well put.

Next it will be Santa isn't a thing.

You people....
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Do people older than teenagers believe in this...?

I ask this same question about all religions....

i was going to post something, but it would get flagged. this is very well put.

Next it will be Santa isn't a thing.

You people....

Wait, what? He's not? I thought I've just been bad the last 20 years.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    The occult is probably hidden for a good reason.

If I was really good at casting spells, then it would probably be a big problem for everybody.

That said...there's a lot more too it than most people think, in my opinion. It's philosophical and internal in nature...at least the hermeticism stuff is as far as I know...and an expression of a worldview of underlying pantheism surfaced through various magical ideas.

I loved the movie, "As Above, So Below".

It had a great soundtrack, as well...

https://youtu.be/6MAQxOBiD6A

However...I will admit to being a Pagan. I'm probably more accurately a "Humanist"...but that's also probably Pagan, just not as fun. I do like swords and medieval stuff.

If I saw a magic wand in a store...I would probably want it.

And...I'm always the Devil for Halloween and I'm really good at it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this cought my eye, I guess it is something I don't understand. But the post above got me thinking, if you buy a magic wand, how do you know if it works. If it doesn't is it you or the wand? It also makes me think of the interesting verbal exchange if it were returned. "This wand is defective, no it isn't ...it works for me.."
  • SoulRadiation
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I don't know why this cought my eye, I guess it is something I don't understand. But the post above got me thinking, if you buy a magic wand, how do you know if it works. If it doesn't is it you or the wand? It also makes me think of the interesting verbal exchange if it were returned. "This wand is defective, no it isn't ...it works for me.."

I didn't mean that in a weird way...I was just expressing the stuff I like. I love all the medieval and fantasy stuff...that was just part of who I was since I was a young guy, just very interested in history and other religions...big world religions and smaller pagan religions, and reading all about the occult and various things in this vein.

There is a magical marketplace, but as far as I know it's not like that...when I said that, I meant I thought it would just be awesome to have one. I'm also going to buy a suit of armor one day and probably wizards robes and have a great party. But, there are people who are artisans and religious/occultist craftsman who fabricate various items and they take it pretty seriously and do a good job as far as I know.

I think it basically works on the same market forces as everything else...if they're making some magic circles or something that are just tatters and shreds and not made right or have the wrong stuff written on it or whatever...then, eventually everybody interested in that item is going to find out and they're going to get a bad reputation and then nobody is going to want to buy their stuff.

Not trying to distract...it's just an interesting topic to me.

• SoulRadiation
    Options
    I think think there's a deep commonality between all religions and cults...and that includes supposedly atheist morality in it's various forms.

One way or the other...we're all the same kind in my opinion. Language and culture provide flair...

I support all religions or none...

Some kind of metaphysical monism is probably true, and everyone and literally everything is madness and confusion.

So...no prescribed moral lesson, except it probably makes sense to try to understand how other people live.

Maybe they're on to something you would really like.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If I follow any beliefs it would be Carl Sagan's. Don't believe in any "otherwordly" beings of practices. I can respect a person that has certain beliefs and lives by them and practices them, but I don't look to a fairy tale for guidance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people mix up what they see in movies and what practitioners of Paganism, Wicca, Hedge witches actually do. Much of it is pretty much the same as Christian and Jewish and Buddhist

A set of rites and practices intended to improve the lives and heighten the spirituality of its practicer. We simply gravitate towards different rites, symbols, and usually goals.
    Yep. People think Scientology (not really the study of Science) people are nuts, but my POV is that people that believe in a "higher power" somehow put faith before logical sense. As mentioned, religions follow a set of rites and rules they follow based on faith.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • midnafi41
    midnafi41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if anyone's addressed this yet and I myself am new to this side of religion. Magic itself isn't like in the movies or books you read. You don't curse people or cast spells instantly. It's all about energy and the way you direct it. Tools like wands and anthems don't have to be used but it is a way to help direct your energy. Crystals and gems themselves have different energy and different uses. My boyfriend has a gem he carries in his pocket 24/7 that helps him with his anxiety.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    midnafi41 wrote: »

I'm not sure if anyone's addressed this yet and I myself am new to this side of religion. Magic itself isn't like in the movies or books you read. You don't curse people or cast spells instantly. It's all about energy and the way you direct it. Tools like wands and anthems don't have to be used but it is a way to help direct your energy. Crystals and gems themselves have different energy and different uses. My boyfriend has a gem he carries in his pocket 24/7 that helps him with his anxiety.

I carry a gem in my pocket too; I damn sure do.
  • PaganUK
    PaganUK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i enjoy the closeness to nature and natural cycles. blessed be )O(
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    All my friends are heathens
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »
    All my friends are heathens

lol, this made me laugh.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I consider myself pagan and been reading witchy stuff. I'm slow at it though
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Any potion recipes?