Antidepressants

Options
Does anyone take an antidepressant that does not cause insomnia or weight gain? I am currently on Effexor and I take it at night to keep me from being nauseated but I can only get 2 hours of sleep. It has alos caused me to gain 7 lbs. I think it is water. But I still don't like it...

Replies

• Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Does anyone take an antidepressant that does not cause insomnia or weight gain? I am currently on Effexor and I take it at night to keep me from being nauseated but I can only get 2 hours of sleep. It has alos caused me to gain 7 lbs. I think it is water. But I still don't like it...
  • sugarbear0772
    Options
    I am on Effexor XR. I take it in the morning (before 11am) after I have eaten something (yogurt, string cheese, or something small). I am not normally a breakfast person but I have found that even if I eat something small & then take it I don't get sick to my stomach. I have to make sure I take my pill before 11am or I am up all night.
    I have also found that taking it after breakfast it works almost like a suppressant for wanting to eat all the time.

Hope I have been helpful
  • Skittles6617
    Options
    I was on that one first and it made me drowsy alllll day so they switched me to just Effexor...Maybe I will try taking it in the morning with breakfast and see what happens...Thanks!!
  • needlesedge
    Options
    I take Lexapro for my mood disorder and it is to me the greatest pill ever. Not only does it curb my appetite and keeping me stable if I take it in the morning by like 8 am I find that come 10 pm all I can think about is crawling into bed and sleeping the good sleep.

Blessed be
    Mark
  • chantybear
    Options
    I used to take celexa a few years ago, and I am totally 1000% better off of it.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin will give you a little pick up in the morning, hasn't kept me up but I've never been real good about sleeping extensively and I dream ALL the time
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I used to take Effexor and I gained a lot with it. I now take Cymbalta. One of the side effects is loss of appetite. I love it because it also helps with physical pain that stress causes like headaches. One major side effect for me was being thirsty all of the time but that went away in about 2 weeks.
  • Neena
    Neena Posts: 4
    Options
    I was on prozac for 3 yrs and I gained weight. I started keeping a food journal and was on a rigid exercise routine. I stopped gaining weight but could not lose a pound.. Hard as I worked my weight stayed the same. I stopped the prozac 8 months ago and dropped 20 lbs easily. So, I have found that anti-depressants do cause weight gain. The pay off may not be worth it though, sometimes peace of mind is more important than a few pounds.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I would talk to your doctor about it, if it's really causing problems like that. My experience is that they're happy to try you on something else for a few weeks to see if that works better. But in the long run, Neena's right - peace of mind is more important than a few extra pounds! :flowerforyou:
  • Skittles6617
    Options
    I used to take Effexor and I gained a lot with it. I now take Cymbalta. One of the side effects is loss of appetite. I love it because it also helps with physical pain that stress causes like headaches. One major side effect for me was being thirsty all of the time but that went away in about 2 weeks.

I may see about this one.. I think my sister is on this...I am having to take this stuff because of PCOS and PMDD...it is crazy..I have not gained any more but I cant lose. I am just maintaining...
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I took Lexapro and it caused me to gain weight and I had to take it at night before I went to bed because for some reason it made me sleepy. I am 1000% better too now that I am completely off that stuff. It also caused a decreased sex-drive.
  • chantybear
    Options
    I took Lexapro and it caused me to gain weight and I had to take it at night before I went to bed because for some reason it made me sleepy. I am 1000% better too now that I am completely off that stuff. It also caused a decreased sex-drive.

Drugs never solve anything. :noway:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

:huh: Taking an antidepressant is a corrective measure for imbalances in neurotransmitters just like beta blockers are corrective measures for cardiovascular problems. Drugs solve many problems. The difference in antidepressants is that our brains are all wired differently, so influencing a given neurotransmitter won't have the same effect on everyone. That's no reason to tell someone it doesn't work--it just didn't work for you.

New research is emerging that depression and/or depressants to effect weight. Depression increases cortisol production, which breaks down protein. An overall decrease in muscle mass depresses metabolism. There hasn't been any causation assigned of course but there are trends.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options

:huh: Taking an antidepressant is a corrective measure for imbalances in neurotransmitters just like beta blockers are corrective measures for cardiovascular problems. Drugs solve many problems. The difference in antidepressants is that our brains are all wired differently, so influencing a given neurotransmitter won't have the same effect on everyone. That's no reason to tell someone it doesn't work--it just didn't work for you.

New research is emerging that depression and/or depressants to effect weight. Depression increases cortisol production, which breaks down protein. An overall decrease in muscle mass depresses metabolism. There hasn't been any causation assigned of course but there are trends.

Thanks for that info song bird,

I know I suffer from PMDD for many years now, but the one time I took something for it (prozac), for about 3 months. I gained 30 pounds. I figured I rather be depressed than overweight, because being fat makes me more depressed. :cry: So I've been suffering and using diet and exercise to ease my symptoms. Recently I noticed my PMS is a little shorter sometimes. (less than 15 days) :ohwell: Maybe I will attempt another go at medication, cause life is really miserable during PMS. :sad:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I know I suffer from PMDD for many years now, but the one time I took something for it (prozac), for about 3 months. I gained 30 pounds. I figured I rather be depressed than overweight, because being fat makes me more depressed. :cry: So I've been suffering and using diet and exercise to ease my symptoms. Recently I noticed my PMS is a little shorter sometimes. (less than 15 days) :ohwell: Maybe I will attempt another go at medication, cause life is really miserable during PMS. :sad:

Although it is a hassle to try different meds, it's really the only way to figure out what you need. It's not really understood why there is an underproduction of serotonin or why we need certain levels to feel good. This is not an exact science, and while doctors can make educated guesses as to what might work, you just have to experiment. No two people will react exactly the same way to them.
  • unique
    Options
    I take an antidepressant, Paxil, and I'll bet it's one of the things that caused me to gain weight. The other things I blame are my son starting to walk (I carried him a lot), arthritis that made me less active, menopause and now chemotherapy.

However, I really needed something when I started the Paxil, and I'm not ready to leave it behind yet. I was terrified all the time for about two weeks, did not sleep a wink, could not have managed without something there.

So it is YMMV - your mileage may vary.

If your depression/anxiety is light, you may be able to avoid antidepressants. It is certainly worthwhile to try diet, exercise, yoga, spiritual stuff, meditation, etc. first. But for some of us this is just not enough and we are thankful for the drugs to enable us to function.
    :glasses:
    142036.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I took Zoloft for about 6 months after a very traumatic event in my life that was difficult to deal with. I had already been depressed for a few years, so the "event" forced me to seek some help. I liked the Zoloft for the most part, but it did put a huge damper on my sex drive, as well as making me feel sort of sexually "numb." After the first couple weeks of Zoloft, I started hitting the gym pretty regularly and lost about 20lbs... so I can't say it caused weight gain. Eventually I was able to come off the Zoloft, but I still struggle with depression and anxiety sometimes.

Each medication is going to have different side effects and each one will affect different people in slightly different ways. You'll probably need to try a couple different ones to find the one that works best for you. It's time consuming, because each drug can take up to 6 weeks to become effective in your system, but I think it's worth it if you really need it. You just have to find the right balance for your body.

And I don't agree that drugs don't solve anything. I have known quite a few people with severe hormonal imbalances that really needed medication in order to regulate mood and mental function. I have a relative that is bipolar and another that is schizophrenic, and with disorders like those, drug-free is really not an option unless you want to live in chaos. Medical experts are still only beginning to understand mental disorders and chemical imbalances of the brain. Perhaps years down the road they will find a better solution, but for now, if cognitive therapy can't fix it, medication is the next best course of action.
  • pewtie
    pewtie Posts: 18
    Options
    I took lexapro some years back and it did nothing for me besides make me gain weight. I am currently on Wellbutrin and am losing weight. 19 pounds and counting. Two others I know have had the same experience. I am choosing to also watch food intake and eat more healthy and excersise and that is helping I am sure. It is hard to do all that though when you are not feeling on top of things emotionally. So for me, this is working well. I haven't felt this good in many years. Everyone has their own take on things though, so your doc might be the best one to get things in order.

Good luck!

114639.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free
  • needlesedge
    Options
    if anything this thread has pointed out that antidepressants are a trial and error game. What works well for one person may not work for another. Best advice to gain from this thread is to try other meds and find what works best for you.

Blessed Be
    Mark
  • Skittles6617
    Options

[/quote]

You definitely want to get something to regulate your hormones...My problem was ignoring it to the point that I totally got way out of balance with the hormones. I cried continuously and could not tell you why. Had no feeling to life whatsoever about anything...Went to the dr and was diagnosed with PCOS which in turn is what triggered the depression and PMDD...I will battle this the rest of my life and no one yet knows what causes it...My dr. did also put me on Yaz BC Pills because it has medicine in it for PMDD and a diuretic as well....So once those are in my system, I am going to wean myself off the anti depressants in hopes the BC Pills will have enough medication in it to control the symptoms, you might want to try those BC Pills.