AIr Fryer a wonderful thing!

Options

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    See what I mean about the toaster oven doing the same thing? Place anything from the list above on a rack and roast. Same thing.

Similar BUT I would argue these are much closer to convection ovens, with a built in oil catch at the bottom. I'm going to find out this weekend and will definitely be coming to a decision. I have a (albeit cheap) toaster oven and I'd rather just turn my oven on most the time. Be prepared for me to insert my opinions when it gets here lol. I couldn't help myself. It was marked down like 130 bucks for prime day.

ZrSjcW6.jpg

This is what I have coming. Looking back it looks like it was permanently marked down. Oh well.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    See what I mean about the toaster oven doing the same thing? Place anything from the list above on a rack and roast. Same thing.

Similar BUT I would argue these are much closer to convection ovens, with a built in oil catch at the bottom. I'm going to find out this weekend and will definitely be coming to a decision. I have a (albeit cheap) toaster oven and I'd rather just turn my oven on most the time. Be prepared for me to insert my opinions when it gets here lol. I couldn't help myself. It was marked down like 130 bucks for prime day.

ZrSjcW6.jpg

This is what I have coming. Looking back it looks like it was permanently marked down. Oh well.

This is the model I have..
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I just used my air fryer yesterday for the first time. Might be closer to "toaster oven" as someone said above, but this cooks so much more evenly as opposed to a toaster oven. Also, I feel as though the food comes out crispier. I believe that this is due to the more even cooking process.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's just a TOASTER OVEN
    Yea, it's better than a deep fryer for your health - duh.
    You can't cram a tiny toaster oven, you have to leave room around the sides for food to cook. Solution: get a bigger toaster oven or use your regular oven.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    It's just a TOASTER OVEN
    Yea, it's better than a deep fryer for your health - duh.
    You can't cram a tiny toaster oven, you have to leave room around the sides for food to cook. Solution: get a bigger toaster oven or use your regular oven.

For me it wouldn't be feasible to buy a bigger toaster oven for the same cost or more that takes more time to cook and take up way more room than the air fryer. I can easily store my air fryer in a cabinet. That's just me though.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    A big toaster oven can be only $39. Shop around, you'll find a good one cheap.
  • Ridley1555
    Ridley1555 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love mine. I have a big boss very easy to clean
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Question, how easy or hard are they to clean?

I can only speak for mine - it is a GoWise air fryer and is a snap to clean. The insert basket and the bucket are both non-stick and easily wiped out with a paper towel or swished clean in warm soapy water. If I'm making something that contains cheese (toasted cheese sandwich, burritos, wraps, etc. I put a round of parchment paper on the bottom of the bucket. I've been cooking for 57 years. I've made over 19,000 evening meals and this is one of the best tools I've ever found. My only regret is that, since we are a family of two, I purchased the smallest capacity fryer GoWise offered. I wish I had gotten a larger one.

• tlp8rb
    Options
    gpsyblue wrote: »
    Got a air fryer this month, I love it, cooks with no or just a tsp of oil and makes food taste like fried crispy, delicious. I have made homemade eggrolls, chicken, etc. My husband lives for fried oily food and I have converted him, even make french fries in it that he loves.

Couldn't agree more. I wish the Fitness Pal database had more items adjusted for air frying.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    Does anyone like a certain brand? There are so many different Air Fryers.

I purchased a GoWise (the smallest one they make) for less than $60. I use it every day in one way or another. It is 90-100 degrees here and our air conditioning system is already working hard. I don't want to turn on the oven to fix a single item. My only regret is the size - I should have gotten a bigger one that has dividers so I can make two things at one time. I just may do that anyway.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    I just caved and bought a gowise air fryer (3.7 lt) because it's prime day. Also got a 7" rack to put inside that I imagine myself putting everything on. Things I'm going to be trying: Quest protein chip battered fish, fish, mushrooms, and if I can practice enough self control perhaps chimichungas.

I have the small GoWise and wish I had gotten a larger one with the inserts. I use mine every single day in one way or another.

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    tlp8rb wrote: »
    gpsyblue wrote: »
    Got a air fryer this month, I love it, cooks with no or just a tsp of oil and makes food taste like fried crispy, delicious. I have made homemade eggrolls, chicken, etc. My husband lives for fried oily food and I have converted him, even make french fries in it that he loves.

Couldn't agree more. I wish the Fitness Pal database had more items adjusted for air frying.

I just log whatever food I am cooking like when I prepare other items.
  • sav4181
    sav4181 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone through all the comments so sorry if I am duplicating but I like to par boil my fries first (only a few mins) toss in some oil and then air fry - closest I've got to 'real' chips, less fat and damn tasty. Also far quicker than the oven and shaking them in the pan means they break up around the edges which gives them that crispy edge - you don't really get the same results from an oven in my opinion.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I haven't gone through all the comments so sorry if I am duplicating but I like to par boil my fries first (only a few mins) toss in some oil and then air fry

FYI, the reason commercial fries/chips taste the way they do is because they are precooked like you said, then frozen. Then fried when ready to be served. So don't be afraid to cook the hell out of em and freeze em for later. That's what diners/restaurants/fast food chains do. That's why they get that texture of creamy inside crunchy outside.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made kale chips by air frying?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Can you find kudos/complaints on any air Fryer site? Have a couple in mind,but the warranties are kind of iffy.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I've honestly only seen positive reviews so far. Mine came last night. I'm going to stop off at the super market after the gym and get things to cook. Not sure if I'll try chicken steak or shrimp first but I'm pretty excited regardless.

As for counter space, I got the 3.7liter, and this thing is MASSIVE. Way larger than a toaster oven. It's not just thick, it's tall too. I'm really in the mood for steak but I feel like that wouldn't be a proper first experiment.