Losing the last 25

Options
allisonfarrier4940
allisonfarrier4940 Posts: 21 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I started eating healthy and moving more Nov 30, 2016 losing about 5lbs a month up until April..I had a snag in my routine, which led to my routine entirely collapsing. Then we went on vacation, and it's summer so we are socializing way more than during the school year.. I'm rambling, anyways, I am only 25 lbs away from my long term goal and I think I FINALLY have regained focus and overcome the stall... If the MFP projections are accurate for my diet overhaul, I should hit it in just over 12 weeks!

Replies

• KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    People are going to tell you that 2lbs a week is too fast if you only have 25lbs to lose. I can't comment yet as I have 70lbs to lose still, but I would take notice of what people say.
  • KevHex
    Options
    wolfe1234 wrote: »
    2lb a week isn't too fast if you are 25 pounds above a healthy weight. If you are already at the upper range of a healthy weight and want to get into the bottom range, that's when you should lower your rate of loss.

@wolfe1234 can I check that you are saying I can continue to lose 2lbs a week until I hit the level of the healthy weight range for my height? The healthy range is 144 to 188 lbs. I thought I needed to slow down my weight loss as I got closer to my goal weight. I'd be very pleased to have this belief corrected as it means I don't need to adjust things and slow down.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you use enough energy in a day to have a 1000 calorie deficit? If you only have 25 pounds to lose, and are female, probably not. Even so, getting back on track is a great feeling. Just don't get discouraged if you lose 1-1.5 pounds per week instead of 2.
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited July 2017
    Options
    KevHex wrote: »
    2lb a week isn't too fast if you are 25 pounds above a healthy weight. If you are already at the upper range of a healthy weight and want to get into the bottom range, that's when you should lower your rate of loss.

@wolfe1234 can I check that you are saying I can continue to lose 2lbs a week until I hit the level of the healthy weight range for my height? The healthy range is 144 to 188 lbs. I thought I needed to slow down my weight loss as I got closer to my goal weight. I'd be very pleased to have this belief corrected as it means I don't need to adjust things and slow down.

It comes down to math.

You can continue to lose at the average rate of 2 pounds per week as long as you are burning enough calories per day to have a 1000 calorie deficit, and eating at a 1000 calorie deficit is enough food for you to feel satiated and energetic.

Example 1: I'm a female, 42, 5'5.5" and 125ish pounds. If I drift up to 130, I tighten my logging and aim for a slight deficit.
    Daily I burn 1800-2000 for the most part. A super active day for me, such as running a 10k and spending the afternoon doing yardwork, would be 2750. But that is the extreme. On a normal day, about the most deficit I can handle would be 500 to have me eating 1300-1500. On that super active day, I might be able to manage a 1000 calorie deficit and eat 1750. But I'd probably be VERY hungry from all the extra activity and still only manage a 500 deficit. Or I might eat them all as I tend to be ravenous after a 10k run.

Example 2: My husband is male, 5'9", 44, 190ish pounds. Aiming for 165-170.
    Daily his normal calorie expenditure is 2500-3500 depending on exercise, yard work, work schedule, etc. He finds it relatively easy, when he makes the effort, to eat 1500-2500. He can thus continue to aim for a 1000 deficit daily.

Guys burn more than gals. A heavier person burns more than a lighter person. A more active person burns less than a less active person, but the more active person may also be hungrier so this may cancel itself out.
  • KevHex
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @wolfe1234 & @StaciMarie1974 thank you both very much, this is really helpful. Sorry OP for hijacking the thread and good luck.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Oops. And its too late to edit. Too many lesses and mores in that sentence!
    A more active person burns less than a less active person, but the more active person may also be hungrier so this may cancel itself out.

@StaciMarie1974 I think you meant to say a more active person burns more than a less active person.

Good examples!