Lunches?

Options
What are some easy yummy and filling lunches, don't want to exist on just salad lol

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you find yummy and filling for other meals? Anything you have for breakfast or dinner, you can have for lunch.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bbrandi82 wrote: »
    What are some easy yummy and filling lunches, don't want to exist on just salad lol

Anything that you think is Yummy and Filling.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    What do you find yummy and filling for other meals? Anything you have for breakfast or dinner, you can have for lunch.

This ^

Most of my lunches are just leftovers from dinner.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love pb&J on whole grain bread. banana, pb and whole wheat wrap. baked potato, shredded cheddar, and broccoli. veg cheese omelet. egg/chicken salad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Many of my lunches are leftovers from dinner. Also, my wife and I will often grill chicken on Sunday for dinner and then just grill a bunch more for the week. I can typically only handle one or two salads per week...in lieu of a salad I do a lot of different veggie sautes. Today I had a mix of 1/2 green bell, 1/2 red bell, 1/2 zuchini, handful of mushrooms, 1/4 red onion, and garlic...sauteed it yesterday evening when I was packing my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for today...had it with some canned tuna (wife took the last of the chicken)...wasn't bad, I just smothered the tuna steak in all of the sauteed veg and reheated.

Sometimes I just have a sandwich.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber and fat are filling. It's a different combination for everyone.

I pick a protein - tuna, hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken, shredded "taco" chicken, shredded pork, or cottage cheese. Then I work around that.

Low cal bread, pita, or wrap (Sara Lee 100% whole wheat is 60 calories) - make a sandwich, bring veggies & fruit sides.

Salads - Caesar, Harvest, Taco, or Asian. Different meats, dressings, add-ins for each. Google Mason Jar Salad....tons of ideas.

Cottage cheese with veggie & fruit sides. Maybe some wasa bread.

Soup - crockpots are great for this. White bean chicken chili, or Stuffed pepper soup are a couple favorites (skinnytaste.com). Fruit side.

Frozen dinner. Look for highest protein and bring an extra serving of veggies. These meals are often light on veggies. Fruit side.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Since I almost always eat at my desk, I avoid anything that needs re-heating. Other than salads, I usually go with one of these:
    * PB&J sandwich
    * Chicken sandwich (usually from one of those grocery store rotisserie chickens)
    * Tuna salad sandwich
    * Tuna salad lettuce wrap, or on celery sticks
    * Veggies & hummus
    * Fruit w/ cottage cheese or yogurt (sometimes I add cinnamon and nuts too)

Since some of those aren't super-filling I might just have extra snacks on hand, like fruit (especially clementines), cucumber slices, trail mix, apples or celery with peanut butter, etc.
  • ocnldy
    ocnldy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Quinoa bowl! little quinoa and then top with veggies and lien proteins
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a chicken wrap kick. Smoke several chicken breasts on Sunday. Work mornings - low cal tortilla (I like Maya's), laughing cow cheese wedge, some greens (spinach, romaine, etc), and the chicken. Wrap. So much yum!
  • bbrandi82
    bbrandi82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies, I want desperately to do this and I know I can with some support
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you like salads, add some protein. Lean meat on whole grain bread if you like sandwiches. I try to make sure I have some protein with every meal, I don't get hungry as fast.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have salads occasionally, but if I want to get my veggies in without salad, I use cauliflower a lot. Mashed or riced cauliflower with lean meat (turkey meatballs, chicken breast, sausages). I make burrito bowls with cauliflower rice, salsa, cheese, etc. I'll use low carb tortillas to make deli wraps with meat, cheese, and some greens.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chili every single day LOL
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So, when I first started losing weight, this time a year ago, I had grilled chicken and squash from my building's cafeteria every day for lunch. It wasn't hard at first, but as time went on I started to get bored and resent it. Around January, I fell off the wagon and lunch was a huge part of it. About a month ago, I decided to start tracking my calories again, and I thought I could go back to the grilled chicken after a break, but it was worse. Every day, I was practically dreading having to force it down my throat. So I decided if this was going to work, I'd have to eat something I liked! I got on the meal prep wagon, and I haven't looked back! I now spend about an hour or so on Sunday night preparing my meals for the week: the same meal, divided into equal portions.

Week one was Pork Lettuce wraps: A modified version of this Blue Apron meal (not meatballs, just loose pork, with a Thai peanut sauce I bought at the store and no rice) https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/pork-meatballs-in-butter-lettuce-cups-with-soy-dipping-sauce-sticky-rice
    Week two was Honey-Sriracha Meatballs over rice: http://www.eatyourselfskinny.com/honey-sriracha-glazed-meatballs/
    Week three is going to be Turkey Taco Bowls: http://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/2017/01/turkey-taco-lunch-bowls-meal-prep.html

The lettuce wraps were pretty good, but the meatballs were FANTASTIC. Like I might do them again for week 4. Looking forward to the taco bowls--the calorie count looks like I might even be able to add a little cheese!

Anyway, this system has been working well for me! A little bit of forethought has made me feel so much more optimistic about my long-term success eating this way.
  • taysukidesu
    taysukidesu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For lunch, I almost always eat a bento with 50 grams (dry, 130-160 grams when cooked depending on the water) of Japanese short rice and 150 grams of whatever vegetables I feel like eating in the large 300ml container, and something different (hard boiled egg, hummus and carrots, pickles, etc.) in one of the small 150ml containers.
    If you're packing plain rice with mostly vegetables and limited amounts of oil/sauce/etc, bentos are generally around 1 calorie per ml, so a bento lunch for me ranges from 450-600 calories because of its volume.
    I am noticeably full much longer after eating the bento than when I eat a salad and sandwich, pasta dish, or other leftovers, even if they are in the same calorie range.
    Of course, I only cook vegetarian/vegan food, and it largely seems like people here prefer eating a lot of lean meat. You do you. (:
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I know you said no salads, but I've been adding hot sauce to my ceaser dressing and it completely changes it. I also mix it up with using whatever I've had in the fridge for veggies (it changed weekly by what's on sale at the store).

Sandwiches were always as easy to go to. I haven't done it in a while, but I'd also prep chicken for a few days and use it differently each day depending if I could heat it up or not. Veggies, rice, quinoa, sandwiches, salads. Hummus and red peppers or carrots were a go to to add to any lunch.

Edited because somehow I wrote dessert dressing instead of ceaser.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I normally just skip lunch while I'm at work. I'd much rather just keep on working and get off a half hour early rather than take a break and have to stay longer. If I'm unusually hungry I just grab a protein bar or an apple or something.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I make avocado/tuna toast on whole grain bread
    1/2 cup of quinoa, chicken and some veggies
    Lentils
    Chicken and sautees veggies
    Boiled eggs and avocado on whole bread
    Sweet potato and chicken with avocado