What's the sketch with peanut butter

Options
so whenever you see people eating healthy peanut butter pops up, however just seen the whole earth peanut butter which clocks in at 600 calories per 100grams! even though it's 100% peanuts...whats the story with peanut butter yayy or nayy?

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't like it myself but I understand its useful for those looking to add protein and fat to their diet quickly.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It just depends on whether you can keep it in check and if it is worth the calories to you. For me personally, it isn't. I switched to powdered peanut butter.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm a peanut butter lover, so I get it. It's a good source of protein and also has maganese and niacin. However, I don't ever eat the usual serving size of 2 Tbsp. That's way more than I need (or want to spend my calories on). I usually eat about 1 tsp (about 25 calories) at a time. I spread a little on a corn thin with sliced banana or thinly spread on celery sticks. Both those snacks are very nutritious, tasty and substantially less than 100 calories.

I also grind my own PB at the grocery store, so I know there's only peanuts in it. No salt, sugar or added fat. Read a label on regular Skippy or Jif and "shudder". :o:o
  • shelly_38
    shelly_38 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I often have 1 tablespoon of regular peanut butter after a meal. It keeps me full longer and about 100 calories. I measure it on my food scale.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    100g is a lot of peanut butter lol
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    donhuzayfa wrote: »
    so whenever you see people eating healthy peanut butter pops up, however just seen the whole earth peanut butter which clocks in at 600 calories per 100grams! even though it's 100% peanuts...whats the story with peanut butter yayy or nayy?

100 grams is a lot of peanut butter! On a PB&J sandwich, I tend to use 24-28 grams.

Like any other food, you have to balance your portions. Meaning have enough to suit your needs but be aware of how it affects your calories.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I love it and it has staying power. I only eat 1 Tablespoon at a time though. It's worth it to me for the pleasure I get. I just budget for the calories. 100 grams is around 4 ounces I think. That's alot of peanut butter.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are a good source of good-for-you fats and protein. You can use peanut butter to make things that taste very good and are good for you in reasonable portions. Peanut butter is very versatile, and a relatively cheap source of protein. If unicorn tears were as readily available with such a wide variety of uses and equally as cheap, you can be certain we'd be consuming unicorn tears.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    donhuzayfa wrote: »

Nutritional value has jack to do with caloric density. There are numerous foods which are nutritional powerhouses and calorie bombs at the same time...pretty much any nut, avocados, etc.

Personally, I don't know anyone who is eating 100 grams of peanut-butter...that's a *kitten* ton of peanut-butter. A serving is 2 Tbsp which is roughly 1 ounce or 28 grams and around 200 calories. It's a good source of healthy fat...some carbs, and some protein and a couple grams of fiber.

Yeah, this. I think peanut butter is "healthy" in that there's protein and the good fats. Plus, for those with a sweet tooth, it's a REALLY good "treat" without a lot of sugar.

It is kind of a calorie-bomb, though. And I like PB2, but it really doesn't do it for me.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For the calories & macros, I'd rather eat whole almonds. Like any other calorie dense food, it can be "good" in some contexts and "bad" in others. It all depends on what the rest of your day looks like and if it's worth it to you, personally, to make "room" for the calories. My meals tend to be low fat, so I do look to higher fat snacks, like almonds. In that context, they're "good." But it's a tiny volume for the calories, which is "bad,"so I have to like them enough to give up higher volume ways to eat those calories. It comes down to personal preference (and accurate counting).
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like natural peanut butter (the only ingredient is peanuts- no sugar) and I think it's about 100 cals per tablespoon. For me, one or two tablespoons is perfect to have with a sliced apple or celery sticks, or (my favorite) dabbing it on slices of banana and freezing them for frozen banana-peanut-butter bites. It's a lot of calories for a small amount of food but it's still healthy and yummy so I make room for it sometimes.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    Personally, I like natural peanut butter (the only ingredient is peanuts- no sugar) and I think it's about 100 cals per tablespoon. For me, one or two tablespoons is perfect to have with a sliced apple or celery sticks, or (my favorite) dabbing it on slices of banana and freezing them for frozen banana-peanut-butter bites. It's a lot of calories for a small amount of food but it's still healthy and yummy so I make room for it sometimes.

That sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing @Moxie42. I love all nuts, including peanuts, of course, and peanut butter.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A PB&J with whole grain wheat, 2 teaspoons of jelly, and 1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter will satiate me from 4-10 pm. I think that is a pretty good deal. A little peanut butter goes a long way.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 16-32 g of peanut butter not 100. I don't eat it every day but I like it and it is not a terrible food to eat.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I started grabbing a spoonful (approx 14-20 g dipped in a gram of chia, and a few ounces of milk at bedtime, and so far (a few days) it's been working well to keep me from feeling hungry after bedtime.