DAY BEFORE THE RACE?

Options
barbiex3
barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
alright, so I've been a runner for about 4 years now, and i've never done a race before ever. Anywho-- I was wondering what advice you would give me. I'm running my first 5K on saturday & hoping for a time lower than 24:30! I was planning on a run tomorrow, but I've read that is a bad idea? yup =] ! lemmme know!!

Replies

• 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Day before the race, dont eat anything out of the oridnary.

If you want to do a run, thats fine, but dont do it at race pace, go easy.

I usually do some XT day before (swimming/bike/weights)

Get your race day outfit laid out the day before along with anything your bringing.
  • 500lbs2marathon
    Options
    Oh, and GOOD LUCK!!!

Races are addicitng, I got hooked after my first one!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Oh, and GOOD LUCK!!!

Races are addicitng, I got hooked after my first one!

lol.. addicting maybe but expensive!! haha i'm broke college student over here... I was thinking about maybe joining the cross country team at my school because we are division 3, annnd i'm faster than some of the girls :D i think it would be fun! idk tho!
  • Gessa007
    Gessa007 Posts: 50
    Options
    As far as to run before no clue! Im not a runner lol but I heard racers usually load up on carbs before a big race the night before......not sure if its true or not. If it is...hello pizza!:love: lol Good luck on your race! Im sure you will do fantastic.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    First off, enjoy the race! Its so much fun!

I would run today (thursday), but take Friday off from running if the race is Saturday. Maybe do some other form of cardio. If you do run, then do a short distance at a light pace.

I typically eat normal the day before a race. Some say load up on carbs. But you are just doing a 5k and its well within your normal running habits (maybe a little faster pace) so I wouldn't change up the diet much, it could do more mental harm than good...don't wanna psyche yourself out and feel different just because you ate a big bowl of pasta and its out of the norm.

If the race is early in the morning then get to bed early and get up plenty early so you aren't a zombie or tired.
    Its smart to make pre-run preparations the night before. Lay out your running gear (clothes, shoes, registration stuff, your number, etc).

Most of all.... Enjoy the race! Running 5ks is so much fun!!
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!!
    I'm a fan of taking off from running the day before a race. Rather do some other cardio which is familiar to your body (definitely do not want to try new things the day before the event). You just want to get the heart rate up for a bit.

You should totally join your cross country team at school, i had so much fun with mine.

Let us know how you do tomorrow and if you achieve your goal!

Cheers
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    just your norm should be fine. if you run everyday it will be fine, just go easy. No need to carb load or everything like that. Get your stuff getting the night before. Also take some safety pins to pin your race # on. And the biggy NOTHING new. Eat, drink and wear stuff that you have had and worn before. Not the time for New stuff on race day.

Most of all just have fun. you only get one first race.
  • 500lbs2marathon
    Options
    As far as to run before no clue! Im not a runner lol but I heard racers usually load up on carbs before a big race the night before......not sure if its true or not. If it is...hello pizza!:love: lol Good luck on your race! Im sure you will do fantastic.

Dont need to carb load for a 5K. Pizza is awesome though! :love:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I personally would not run the day before. I would go for a walk or rest or something.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything too spicy and get a good nights sleep!! Good luck!