I think I am doing well, but no weight loss.

Options
What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary and share more information (how long you've been at it, how many calories you're eating per day, etc), we may be able to help.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

How long since you started?
    How many calories per day are you eating?
    Are you logging everything you consume, accurately?
  • Teachmebooks
    Teachmebooks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're right. Ok, I have been trying to stay under 1310 calories each day and stay low carb. I am working out 3 to 4 times a week along with cutting grass atleast 1 time a week (push mow). Lots of water. I'm a teacher and off for the summer. Trying to get a handle on things and drop 50 lbs.

Foods are like, B: Greek 100 protein yogurt and 4 strips of turkey bacon. L: Baked chicken breast with light sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa and jalapeño peppers in a tortilla. D: Salad with Skinny girl dressing. All vegies and no croutons. S: Cheese stick or watermelon or turkey bacon strips.

Exercise: treadmill for a mile, 20 minutes and some light weights. Arms and legs.

Daily Activities: leisure swim in pool, house cleaning or just hanging out with my daughter.

I am not perfect in logging, but if it's like a salad with Skinny girl dressing, I forget it. Maybe it's too many carbs? Not enough exercise? I just don't realize?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    are you weighing everything you eat??
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    also, carbs are irrelevant for weight loss so no need to be focused on them so much...
  • Teachmebooks
    Options
    How do I open my diary? Will everyone see it?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You're right. Ok, I have been trying to stay under 1310 calories each day and stay low carb. I am working out 3 to 4 times a week along with cutting grass atleast 1 time a week (push mow). Lots of water. I'm a teacher and off for the summer. Trying to get a handle on things and drop 50 lbs.

Foods are like, B: Greek 100 protein yogurt and 4 strips of turkey bacon. L: Baked chicken breast with light sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa and jalapeño peppers in a tortilla. D: Salad with Skinny girl dressing. All vegies and no croutons. S: Cheese stick or watermelon or turkey bacon strips.

Exercise: treadmill for a mile, 20 minutes and some light weights. Arms and legs.

Daily Activities: leisure swim in pool, house cleaning or just hanging out with my daughter.

I am not perfect in logging, but if it's like a salad with Skinny girl dressing, I forget it. Maybe it's too many carbs? Not enough exercise? I just don't realize?

and are you continuing to eat up to 1300 calories when you are forgetting to log things? because if that is the case you found your problem. you are eating more than you think just by that alone.

Additionally just eating foods you think are healthy doesnt mean you will lose weight. If you are over eating on those foods you will still gain weight. You probably want to start weighing and logging everything accurately to see what is actually happening.
  • Teachmebooks
    Options
    I think you guys are right. I log that I am eating turkey in a salad, but it's probably weighing more than what I am logging. I think I may be inaccurate. I see how to unlock my diary, but I only want to to friends. (Not sure how to make ftiends on here) I really appreciate the support. Thank you.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are right. I log that I am eating turkey in a salad, but it's probably weighing more than what I am logging. I think I may be inaccurate. I see how to unlock my diary, but I only want to to friends. (Not sure how to make ftiends on here) I really appreciate the support. Thank you.

That is your choice, and nothing wrong with it. An open diary, when you need help, can allow others to spot common logging errors.

Some of which are:

Not using a food scale. Logging 1 medium banana or 1/2 half avocado. WIthout a food scale, you don't know how much food you're consuming so you tend to eat more than you think. What you think is a 'medium' could be a 'large' by someone else's standard. Even things like slices of bread should be weighed. The label may say 2 slices = 51 grams. But if it really weighs 59 grams for 2 slices, you need to know.

Using other people's recipe in the database. You can't really know how their dish compares to yours. You can enter your own in the recipe builder. Tip: when you weigh the final product, in grams, set that as the serving size. Example if my chili is 1800 grams for the whole lot of it, I'll edit the recipe to be 1800 servings. THen when I take 235 grams for my lunch, I can log 235 servings.

Eating out constantly, or eating food prepared by others. WHile there is nothing wrong with this, you can't know the true contents of what you're consuming in these situations. Even if the restaurant provides its nutritional details, you would not know if the chef uses alot of oil or tends to use larger-than-normal portions. Similar for friends or family preparing food: you have to make a best effort guess. In general, this is fine if you're happy with your results. If not, then try to limit situations where you have to guess.
  • Teachmebooks
    Options
    I just fell off the wagon today. I have already eaten my limit of calories and don't really care. I have been so disgusted with my progress. Lots of stressers today. I just want to start over.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Well, are you weighing it? Because if you're not, I can practically guarantee you that you are eating more than you are logging.

And it's easy to do. Like, I'd gotten into this nasty habit of grabbing a dried fig or two when I was hungry before going to barre, because I figured hey, it can't possibly weigh that much and I intentionally give myself a large calorie buffer.

Then I weighed it. And saw that this nasty little habit was costing me about 100 calories a day. And suddenly it became very clear why my weight had been stuck.
  • LaughHappy907
    LaughHappy907 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just fell off the wagon today. I have already eaten my limit of calories and don't really care. I have been so disgusted with my progress. Lots of stressers today. I just want to start over.

Don't be too hard on yourself. This stuff takes a lot of steps to get where you want to be. Think of it like this:

Step 1. Eat healthily - lose your sweet tooth or cut back on snacks. Give up 1 thing a week. Familiarize yourself with nutrition labels. Move more.
    Step 2. Be honest and log everything you eat. Log the cheese you put in your salad with accurate rates, log everything even diet drinks and what not. Build that habit. Don't be mad at yourself if you go over, just build that habit so it's not a chore. Go to the gym or be even more active.
    Step 3. Start meeting your calorie goal. Preplan your day using all the knowledge of food you've gained in step 1 and 2. Find recipes that give you the taste you want without the calories. By this time it should be easy to resist your cravings. Hit it hard at the gym. Thrive with it, recognize that your body feels good. It likes this. Convince your brain of it. Be proud of this.
    Step 4. Keep pushing it. You will make progress.
    Step 5. Have fun.

I lost 50lbs, stopped for 3-4 years, and am picking up where I left off again. It took me MONTHS to prepare myself to stick to it again. I am not someone who can stop cold turkey - it just sets me up for failure and the "well *kitten* it" attitude a couple days later.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    One other thing to add: it's great that you are doing some light exercise and moving. But it's very light. Nothing wrong with that but do not think that it will be adding to your weight loss at this point. For the time you are exercise, you might be burning 100 calories.