Where do you even start?

Options
I'm new. Well I used this app a few years ago sparingly and was not serious. But I'm about to be 30 and I need to get my health/weight on track.

Where do I even begin? I'm always hungry. Help! I can use new friends to go on this journey with.
Any Chicago people here?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Protein is what should help you feel full longer. Some people have found success having smaller meals more often throughout the day. If you're always hungry and it's not a psychological thing, you could be undereating.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    • Choose an attainable goal and weight loss rate, set your account up honestly and accurately.
    • Get yourself a food scale and choose your database entries wisely, check nutrition info against labels.
    • Log your normal intake for a few days, see how far over you are going and what it is that is taking you over - is it portion sizes, too many high calorie/low nutritional value foods, drinking your calories, etc.
    • Once you have reviewed your data for those days, start making small sustainable changes - for example changing the method you use to cook - I used to fry everything in loads of olive oil, I now use a 1 cal spray with just enough to stop the food sticking to the pan or bake/grill things instead, this in itself can save 1-200 calories per meal. If you're drinking your calories (sugary sodas, milkshakes, frozen coffee, iced tea, etc) switch to a diet soda or water.
    • Try and increase your activity, this doesn't necessarily mean working out or going to the gym, just try and walk a little further each day

Remember it's a marathon not a sprint, it will take time, the scale may not always show a change and may even show a gain from time-to-time, it's totally normal, it's the bigger picture that's important.

Protein may help you feel fuller longer, but satiety is a very individual thing, you may need to play around with your macros to find what works for you. But getting the minimum RDAs is a good start.
  • mcmoff
    mcmoff Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I start at the grocery store, easier for me to make good choices if that's all I have. It's a struggle though, especially if others are in your household that can eat the snacky food, But most of my trigger foods are mine alone - I can stay out of my husband's!
  • chalula2709
    chalula2709 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new too just started 2 days ago. I'm try calorie counting, I'm still not sure how it exactly works . I have the just on how many calories I need to eat for the day. but How do you factory your exercise Calories? Does that mean you add calories to your plan that are free? sometimes I don't even eat all of my calories for the day and I still have exercise calories can some one help me understand this please
  • chalula2709
    chalula2709 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :o
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I'm new too just started 2 days ago. I'm try calorie counting, I'm still not sure how it exactly works . I have the just on how many calories I need to eat for the day. but How do you factory your exercise Calories? Does that mean you add calories to your plan that are free? sometimes I don't even eat all of my calories for the day and I still have exercise calories can some one help me understand this please

@chalula2709 I wrote a post that explains how your calorie allowance works here, might help you understand. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    JbeansMom wrote: »
    Where do I even begin? I'm always hungry. Help! I can use new friends to go on this journey with.

Where it really began for me... the time it actually clicked and stuck... i was honest with myself. It hurt really. Not only did i overeat, i ate the "bad" stuff all the time. I didn't care if i was hungry... i just wanted to eat.

I took a selfie... profile... and looked at myself... and instead of asking "how did it get this way" (cause i knew how it got that way) - I told myself I have to change. Me. No one else is going to do it.

Since that day - I'm down 60 pounds (some up and down cause of wonderful Christmas)... fitter and stronger... feel better... like my selfies :tongue:

But it started with a hard honest look at myself... and deciding to do something about it.
  • Foodfavor
    Foodfavor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think it is really important to just honestly log your normal eating habits so you can see where you are making mistakes. I have found it is also important to never cut anything out. I don't think I would be able to live without beer, so if I am going to have a beer I eat a super healthy low cal lunch so I have those extra calories. Don't be afraid to reach out on the forums and ask for advice or motivation. What I have found the hardest is having days when I go way over on my calories and a little voice in my head says "just don't log for today", but I force myself to. It is important to be honest with yourself :) Good luck!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Start with a doctor's visit and your goals. Work from there.
  • amandallee
    amandallee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's overwhelming at times but you have to believe in yourself. I'm 29 and a year out from having my first child. I look at it as if, it took me 29 years to "get this way", it's not going to fall off overnight. Patience - something I have very little of with a very independent one year old - is a lot of it. lol Set small goals towards one big goal and work to achieve them. Good luck! You got this! Feel free to add me on MFP.
  • amandallee
    amandallee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Foodfavor wrote: »
    I think it is really important to just honestly log your normal eating habits so you can see where you are making mistakes. I have found it is also important to never cut anything out. I don't think I would be able to live without beer, so if I am going to have a beer I eat a super healthy low cal lunch so I have those extra calories. Don't be afraid to reach out on the forums and ask for advice or motivation. What I have found the hardest is having days when I go way over on my calories and a little voice in my head says "just don't log for today", but I force myself to. It is important to be honest with yourself :) Good luck!!

Oh man! I'm having one of those days today. I had donuts for breakfast and subway for lunch. Glad to know I'm not alone.