Recommend an inexpensive chest strap?

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
My HRM-Run died. Not long after I changed the battery. I've been using the wrist HR in my watch, but it's not very useful on the bike. (Did a 20 minute FTP test yesterday, it though I averaged 96 bpm.)

I like having reliable heart rate data when I ride. I can work with ANT+ or Bluetooth. I don't need any features beyond reliability, and would prefer to keep the cost down. Any suggestions?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Garmin "Premium" HRM chest strap & transmitter. It's ANT+ and here in Canada I can pick one up for around $60 CDN. Mine is going on 5 years old and all I've ever had to do is change the battery on the transmitter.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'd go Suunto if it can work with your other gear.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    When my Garmin strap died, I replaced it with a Wahoo TICKR. Don't recall how much it cost, though. It supports both ANT+ and Bluetooth connectivity.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Polar H7, can usually be found on Amazon for ~$53-$55 maybe less. Very high quality, very dependable, works with both Android and iOS, and most gym equipment (ANT+/Bluetooth/Bluetooth LE)
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have Polar chest strap as well. It's pretty good
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My HRM-Run died. Not long after I changed the battery. I've been using the wrist HR in my watch, but it's not very useful on the bike. (Did a 20 minute FTP test yesterday, it though I averaged 96 bpm.)

I like having reliable heart rate data when I ride. I can work with ANT+ or Bluetooth. I don't need any features beyond reliability, and would prefer to keep the cost down. Any suggestions?

If you're not wanting the additional telemetry from another HRM Run or Tri then personally I'd veer towards a Schoche Rhythm, although that doesn't fit your cost aspect.
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just bought this and it works good :) took on my first 5k :) I use the free Endomono app with it ( IOS)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWX023E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

If you're not wanting the additional telemetry from another HRM Run or Tri then personally I'd veer towards a Schoche Rhythm, although that doesn't fit your cost aspect.

+1.
    Make sure it's the rhythm+. Without the plus is the original and doesn't work with anything but a proprietary app.

Sometimes it's on sale for less than $50
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice and recommendations! :smile:

I just picked one up for use on the bike. It's mainly the HRV data I'm after. I've heard great things about the Rhythm+ but it's my understanding that you still need a chest strap for that? Also, the Garmin soft strap was on sale for $35 with free delivery.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    When my Garmin strap died, I replaced it with a Wahoo TICKR. Don't recall how much it cost, though. It supports both ANT+ and Bluetooth connectivity.

I see you picked something up, but in case anyone else is looking-I also have a Wahoo TICKR X. It broadcasts simultaneously in ANT+ and Bluetooth, the "X" model has a memory feature (so it'll record things like swimming), and also supports HRV (I use elite HRV app and recently the Garmin version on my Fenix5-although the app is considerably more robust than the Garmin on HRV stuff). The Wahoo is far and away the most reliable, connectable and accurate HRM I have had. And accurate meaning how many BPM.

Also-Polar does broadcast in Bluetooth and "gymlink" but it does not broadcast ANT+ (Which makes it incompatible with all but the Fenix 5 & 935 Garmin devices). It is compatible with a lot of gym equipment (anything that uses gymlink) and can broadcast live while swimming (assuming you have a watch that can read the gymlink - Bluetooth and ANT+ don't work underwater) which are features that most HRM don't have. But Polar does not do ANT+.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

I think you have the HRM Tri so it's of no use to you but they make a Running Dynamics pod now, you clip it to your pants and then you can use whatever heart sensor you like.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I think you have the HRM Tri so it's of no use to you but they make a Running Dynamics pod now, you clip it to your pants and then you can use whatever heart sensor you like.

I do. The 735XT came with a Tri and a Swim in the Bible, the RD pod was launched with the 935.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice and recommendations! :smile:

I just picked one up for use on the bike. It's mainly the HRV data I'm after. I've heard great things about the Rhythm+ but it's my understanding that you still need a chest strap for that? Also, the Garmin soft strap was on sale for $35 with free delivery.

Can't beat that.

The Rhythm+ uses an arm strap. About 12" circumference, goes on the meaty part of your arm, I go ~2" down from my elbow, but I've seen some people go bicept. Doesn't have the bone problem a wrist one does, but also doesn't transmit HRV I think. My 230 doesn't do that anyway, so I'm not the best to ask
  • 5oro5
    5oro5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Jarv HRM strap which cost is just about $20 (for Bluetooth edition). It works properly, the straps is very soft and convenient. So my recommendations for this brand.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Wahoo user. Although I've found that the Garmin premium strap is definitely more durable than the generic/inexpensive bands.

I especially love that since it brodcasts both ANT+ and BLE, that I can monitor data on multiple devices. Specifically, my Garmin watch and my IPAD. That way I can see my HR at a glance during KB swings/Getups...