Harder this time

Options
libbybonjour
libbybonjour Posts: 14 Member
I've always been up and down with my weight. I'm now the highest I've ever been. I started three weeks ago initially feeling good and excited about weight loss. Now I'm finding myself frustrated and wanting it to come off fast. I know it's a slow process. It didn't come on in a night.. just feeling down about my weight lately. What has helped you if you have felt this way before? I need some encouragement. Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's always harder the second (or third, or fourth time). Plan well, so that this becomes the last time! What helped me this time (and I'm getting more and more confident this will be the last time), to enjoy the ride, was this:
    • Be critical and try to separate facts from factoids.
    • Don't demonize foods. Use just enough salt, sugar and fat to make food taste good.
    • Eat good food. Don't cut out anything unless it's too hard to moderate, I'm allergic, or don't like it.
    • If I don't have it, I can't eat it. Some foods are better to only eat on occasion, out of the house, in company.
    • Experiment with meal timing. Eat mindfully. Find what works for you. I am now on a 3 meal a day/16:8 schedule, far from the "6 small meals to keep that metabolism going".
    • I didn't stop weighing and logging when I reached maintenance. I plan/log my meals, loosely, exert portion control trough weighing/counting. I weigh myself daily, and have a maintenance goal range, not an exact number, and I just need small tweaks to get my weight down whenever it goes a bit up.
    • Don't force exercise. Exercise is fine, but not necessary for weight management. Just move more on the daily - unless you like exercise.
    • Don't expect weight loss to take away all your troubles. Issues that are directly or indirectly caused or complicated by overweight, will improve, but you're still the same person. Issues you never expected, may actually pop up.
    • Adopt eating habits and attitudes of normal weight people, but adjusted to own personality and preferences. If this is going to be a lifestyle change, make it a new lifestyle, not just another diet. Nothing spectacular, neither arduous nor glamorous. No casualties, no medals. This is just the new normal.
  • libbybonjour
    libbybonjour Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips! Appreciate the time you took to respond.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If you don't deviate much, you won't have a ton to lose and you won't have to come back and start over.
  • maripanda
    maripanda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Heya, I'm the same....this is the 4th time I've had to face a big weight loss and I am finding it hard, knowing the struggle just keeps on going! Sorry, that wasn't very helpful was it haha!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Ironically, frustration often comes from trying to achieve the weight loss too fast. Make sure your weekly weight loss goal is not too aggressive for your current weight- 2 lbs/week is really only for those with 75+ lbs to lose. I'm much more patient when I've had enough to eat ;)
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I lost 55 pounds and was in the best shape of my life right before i met my husband 5 years ago. I gained back 70 pounds and now i am trying desperately to get off 90 overall. It helped in the beginning because he was doing it with me, but lucky for him after a few months he is already over 30 pounds down and almost to his goal. It gets really frustrating to me, because he can eat junk and still lose 2 pounds per week. I am eating so good, i actually rarely cheat (camping on weekends but that has only been for summer) and I do high intensity zumba 3 days a week and i normally lose about 1 pound a week right now. It does get frustrating. Especially when you dont always see a difference right away even when putting in the work. I would just say keep working at it! If you quit it will never happen. It is a slow process and like you said, it doesn't come on over night. So it's not going off over night. I would say to also focus on the fact that maybe you are doing it to be/get more healthy? And even if you are not at your goal weight yet, you are getting HEALTHIER every single day <3