Is a 30 min HIIT workout a day enough?

Options
I normally have 12 hour shifts and so can't usually put in the 1 hour or maybe more some can put in to exercise. I was wondering if a 30 min hiit exercise per day is enough to set me on my way to losing weight, or should i be inclusing weight training?

I'm on a healthy calorie restricted diet aswell

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts as well and rotate from days to nights and you can definitely lose weight with a proper diet in 30 minutes of HIIT training. Have you tried Tabata? Its 30 seconds of lifting as much as possible with a 10 second rest for 4 straight minutes. I do six Tabata workouts with only 1 minute rest between. My work area becomes my gym when no one is around. I can burn 500 calories in 30 minutes in an area 10 feet by 10 feet with nothing other than my body weight for resistance. Your cardio will limit you more than your strength. Feel free to add me and ask about workouts and diets.
  • I_am_the_Cosmos
    I_am_the_Cosmos Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts as well and rotate from days to nights and you can definitely lose weight with a proper diet in 30 minutes of HIIT training. Have you tried Tabata? Its 30 seconds of lifting as much as possible with a 10 second rest for 4 straight minutes. I do six Tabata workouts with only 1 minute rest between. My work area becomes my gym when no one is around. I can burn 500 calories in 30 minutes in an area 10 feet by 10 feet with nothing other than my body weight for resistance. Your cardio will limit you more than your strength. Feel free to add me and ask about workouts and diets.

It's odd, but I just looked up a Tabata page and it kind of reminds me of the P90X3 activities!
  • rtogetfit93
    rtogetfit93 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

It's odd, but I just looked up a Tabata page and it kind of reminds me of the P90X3 activities!

Same here! Especially MMX and CVX (?). There's a tabata part of IM30, too!
  • gearhead426hemi
    Options
    All HIIT training programs are the same. No one has reinvented the fitness wheel they are just like a good car salesman and there's a sucker born every minute.
  • rtogetfit93
    Options
    All HIIT training programs are the same. No one has reinvented the fitness wheel they are just like a good car salesman and there's a sucker born every minute.

True enough. There's some really big programs too that you pay a lot for and basically get told "Do HIIT and don't eat many carbs".
  • gearhead426hemi
    Options
    Any type of working out is a good thing. Getting out and walking is better than sitting around doing nothing. People just have to be realistic in their expectations with fitness and diet. Focus more on just being healthy, happy and living life to its fullest. Isn't the reason we are all choosing to get healthy and fit is to live longer and be happier? If you find something that keeps you active do it. If you have a diet you like and it keeps you focused do it. If you get results go with it. There isn't a one size fits all diet or workout routine. There are to many body types and levels of fitness to say one program is the best. One persons workout is someone's warm up and over training is a myth. Just get out there and do something!!!!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

Tabata is awesome. Great for people with short attention spans (like me) and a really tough workout.

I think 30 minutes is definitely enough to get a good workout. It's what I do many days so I certainly hope it is.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    HIIT is an exercise protocol meant to temporarily improve fitness in preparation for an A race. You need a good level of base fitness for this.

For almost everyone who succeeds at this weight loss business, it's much more about diet than exercise.
  • rtogetfit93
    Options
    Any exercise, if you're at a deficit, is going to be a bonus for weight loss really. Even if it's just walking a bit more! 30 mins of HIIT will definitely be enough if you're just looking to help along the weight loss, provided you don't eat back the calories.
  • rtogetfit93
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm trying to envision 30 minutes of actual HIIT every single day...

It's probably going to be less all out HIIT and more Moderate Intensity Interval Training? Most of the 30 minute HIIT programs aren't all out, that I've seen, anyway.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I didnt think you were supposed to do HIIT every day- but a few times per week.
    If doing it properly your body needs lighter exercise/rest days between.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have never exercised more than 45 minutes. Have lost 65+ pounds (& same with losing my pregnancy weight all of the times).

I highly recommend strength training. I lift for 30-45 minutes 3x a week and run intervals for 20 minutes 2x a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Truth. People usually like to gravitate towards what they like. Lol, there's "HIIT" Zumba now starting to come out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't for weight loss. There are lots and lots of people who exercise 2 hours a day and don't see any body composition changes because they still haven't changed their consumption habits.
    You exercise for health and fitness. You lose weight by eating less than you burn. Exercise can HELP with burning more calories in a day, but you still have to eat less than you burn to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    donhuzayfa wrote: »
    I normally have 12 hour shifts and so can't usually put in the 1 hour or maybe more some can put in to exercise. I was wondering if a 30 min hiit exercise per day is enough to set me on my way to losing weight, or should i be inclusing weight training?

I'm on a healthy calorie restricted diet aswell

Yes, in fact it's the maximum amount of true HIIT. If you are really doing the intensity high enough you won't be able to go longer than 30 minutes, and usually we have to work up to that! Start with 7-15 minutes and you can do super light intensity steady state for the rest of the 30 minutes. 30 minutes a day is a great place to start with making your lean body mass beautiful.

Most of your fat loss control will come from the calorie deficit. It's always the true anchor to fat loss and body fat control.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm trying to envision 30 minutes of actual HIIT every single day...

My thought as well.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Regardless of type, 30 minutes of exercise a day is absolutely fine. You'll see great benefits. Best part is that even if not HIIT, the shorter workout will mean that you can up your overall intensity for the entirety of the session. Rather than doing 60 minutes of cardio at 65%, hit it with 75-80% for 30.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Exercise isn't for weight loss. There are lots and lots of people who exercise 2 hours a day and don't see any body composition changes because they still haven't changed their consumption habits.
    You exercise for health and fitness. You lose weight by eating less than you burn. Exercise can HELP with burning more calories in a day, but you still have to eat less than you burn to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

People exercise for any reason they choose to. There isn't one right way, and nobody is the exercise reason police.