All those with kids who know the struggle

Options
It's hard to stay motivated when you have kids and quick easy food is within reach. I lost 3lbs so far but have a goal 100lb.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a SAHM mom of 5 and I understand the troubles.
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    SAHM of two. I couldn't really start dieting and exercising until my little guy was 1 and weened off the boob. Now I workout and eat when he naps or after both kids go to bed. I have a hard time with snacking on all the kid's goodies.

I've lost 30 lbs and have 86 lbs to go! Feel free to add me. Good luck on your weightloss journey!
  • ssmarquits84
    ssmarquits84 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How do you make time for the gym?
    Walking the dog is the only way for me to include my kids in workouts.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

I leave the kids with Dad and just go.
  • ohmgetsfit
    ohmgetsfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have older kids (13 and 16) who are teeny, and can eat whatever they want..and now that they're home for summer and like "hey let's make waffles" or "can we make cookies?" Or there is just more "junk food" in the house! ..help!

I'm pretty good with my choices and willpower, but man oh man is it HARD!!!
  • ssmarquits84
    Options
    I have a 5year old and 8 year old. They keep me busy.
  • curt40
    curt40 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have two daughters and I know exactly what you are going through.

Feel free to add me
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I am divorced, mom to 3 kids (7, 5, 4 years old). I work a full-time job. I joined a gym with child care and my kids LOVE going. We go right after work for 1 hour 3 days during the week then again on Saturday and Sunday.
  • That_Country_Girl82
    That_Country_Girl82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have two boys and I completely understand. It is hard. They want junk and I try to eat right.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and a 13 year old. They are a LOT of my motivation. I have to be healthy to be around for them, and they (especially the little one) are learning from my example. They both keep me busy so I make time for exercise when I can. During the week, I walk on my lunch break. I have a regular date with my trainer on the weekends and I make sure to make our weekends centered around an active lifestyle. I generally get my husband to pick up the littlest once or twice a week so I can have swim time. There are some foods that the kids eat (convenience foods) that I just don't touch. I try my best to have convenience foods of fruits and veggies handy for them but especially with a two year old, sometimes when you're out and about, peanut butter crackers or some goldfish happen. It's all about balance, I don't want the girls to have the same health issues I've had.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

I have equipment in the garage and let the kids play in the yard or on rainy days just let them play in the garage, I'm lucky it's a big garage.
  • ssmarquits84
    Options
    What are some of the thing you do are say to keep your motivated. Losing weight is challenging, however, we got to this point by doing and saying the wrong things to ourselves.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    What are some of the thing you do are say to keep your motivated. Losing weight is challenging, however, we got to this point by doing and saying the wrong things to ourselves.

Nah.... I got to this point cause I had a baby.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

Nah.... I got to this point cause I had a baby.

Ya this is me. I was slim then got lazy after the baby. Staying home with him it was easy to do so.

I love doing active things with him. It's summer and his first week off we went for many excursions and since we live in a city we walk to the subway and just generally walk a lot. So I'm making him active with me.

If you have trouble getting out to do things since up for something where there's childcare or get others to watch them. I've some evening activities that I love to do. Hubs come shine this nights to watch him or I have taken the boy with me too.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter that is 4. She's in preschool. My husband is a truck driver, and I work logistics for a car hauling company. I have long days that start early, just to get the family functioning. Then I have long evenings, exercising, keeping a toddler busy, cooking, etc.
    I've been experimenting with frozen crockpot meals that I make on weekends.
    They seem to be working thus far.
    My daughter is super picky, so I will make her something quick to eat, (mac and cheese, a pb sandwich, toast, home made lunchable) that I'm not eating, if necessary. I always try to get her to eat part of what we're eating at least. (Which usually works, but she wants a variation like no sauce, or just rice, only meat.)
    If she has left overs I'll stick them in her lunch for school and they'll microwave it I'd she wants it warm or should be served warm.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Also involve the family if you're exercising. My daughter does some of mine with me, and we go for long walks on the weekends. I've changed my family's after work structure a little bit for my need to lose weight. It's about balance and finding something that works for you.