???'s for runners

Options
So my question is...for those that are runners, or that are new to running like I am...How long does it usually take before the intense burning in the calves goes away??? I am starting week 3 of the C25K but have been walking and running for the past couple months off and on...I got mad one night and went out for a walk/run and ran 13 minutes straight, but on a normal day, just getting through my program for that day is really difficult...today I barely made it through the last 3 minute run...I've tried running slower, but that seems to make my calves hurt worse, so I have to run slightly faster...right now i'm at a point that in order to make the "time" i'm not getting anywhere near my heart/rate, breathing capacity...I know the more I run the easier it will get eventually, i'm just wondering when does it really truly start to get easier...at least from a muscle standpoint...

I have also tried stretching after warming up but before running, or not stretching til finished, doesn't seem to help either way that way either...

Just looking for some really good advice from others experienced in this area!!!

~Determined to become a runner!!!

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    im on week one of c25k, and i dont have an issue with my calves hurting, but my quadriceps hurt like hell. ill be keepin an eye on this post to get others input as well :smile:
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are well hydrated. Drink a glass of water about 30 minutes before you run... or eat a banana (The banana helps me the most). I also walk for about 5 min. to warm up - then stretch - then run.

*CHEERS* to new runners! ; ) You can do it! I LOVE C25K!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    What? The burning is supposed to stop? LOL!
    I started with C25K last fall and felt more of it in my quads and my knees until I dropped some weight and then I started feeling it else where as the conditioning continued. Now, it depends on the day...my calves may feel it one day, my hips the next or my quads. It isn't nearly as bad as those early weeks of C25K, but I am still pushing myself to go further too.
    I had a huge "A-ha" at week 5 of the program where I realized this was possible and my body was actually feeling it. So don't give up!
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well about 3-4 weeks ago i posted a question similar and yesterday I ran 4 kms without slowing down or stopping and my calves felt fine :) So for me about 3-4 weeks. Probably different for everyone depending on their fitness level i guess?
  • awbahn
    awbahn Posts: 3
    Options
    When are you running? When I first started about 3 months ago I was running early in the mornings, and in the afternoons. I've found that personally in the morning I'm really sluggish and have a really hard time keeping any type of pace. Living in Texas the afternoons are terribly horribly hot, especially if the sun is shining (which it always is) and that is also seriously detrimental to how far I'm able to go.

Knowing that I started going in the evening (I usually wait till around 8:00) and I've had HUGE success with that.

To put it in perspective, I started running (run/walk) at 350 pounds, and initially started on the c25k plan as well. My shins and legs would be on fire after runs, and I really had to take a lot of time to recover. I think that lasted probably 2 months. I'm down to around 300 now, and I'm at the point where every week it's a different part of my body that I'm pushing. One week my lungs will burn from breathing so much, the next my legs will, but it's a good burn, not pain.

Hope that helps :)
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I still get it occasionally, especially after races (like I am still sore from a 10k on Monday, but more in my quads). But I have found that downward dog helps a TON to stretch me out after. Try to push your heels to the ground, while having your hands and feet as far apart as you can. Also I lay on my back and put one leg in the air and write the alphabet with my big toe and then switch legs. That help more with shin splints, but it helps the calves too. Also having your toes on a stair and then pushing your heels down stretches you out.

I never stretch before, only after, since that is when I am warm

Good luck and keep going! oh and also, I take ibuprofen if it gets too bad, I figure my muscles can use the help of an anti-inflammatory every once in a while.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    after about 8 weeks i stopped having a lot of the pain that i had when i started, i still get some soreness if i dont run for a few days and then do a really long run. but it will get easier i promise. the more weight you take off the less stress on your muscles too so that will help also. good luck.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Do you think maybe its your running shoes? I would think if you are on week 3 it wouldn't be hurting as bad. I noticed when I went and got fitted for running shoes that it helped me be in less pain all over.
  • mmelaragno
    mmelaragno Posts: 162
    Options
    My quads burn when I'm outside as well, I'm hoping that after more training they will stop. I wish it was as easy as running on a treadmill :wink:
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml

I have problems with my calves hurting, too, because I have a lot of hills in my area. Suffice to say, this article gave me a certain stretch to do and I did it before and after my run yesterday. When I got back, I still had the pain, but once I did the stretch it went away.

Also, try building up your shin muscles by standing with your foot 1/2 off a stair. Hold onto the railing and lower your foot 45 degrees below the step and then bring it up 45 degrees above the step. This will help strengthen your shin muscle as well.

Forgot to add... do 10 - 20 reps and hold each for about 3-5 seconds. :)
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    that lactic acid can be a real b*tch. Give yourself a week or so. Static stretches after a run help a lot, with a cool-down. Stretching cold muscles (before a run) won't do too much for you IMHO.

Make sure you're getting enough potassium, and stick with it. The soreness dissipates within a couple days with regular exercise.

::edit:: Also, if you strike with your mid- to fore-foot (think balls of your feet), you're working your calves a lot more than if you strike with your heel. It'll build your strength and endurance to strike on your forefoot and use your ankle as the "springy". That'll work your calves and strengthen them :)
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Mine's been much better since I got fitted for proper running shoes. I've been running 3 months now and it still comes and goes. Different places though - it's as different parts of your legs become stronger, you get different weak points, so you go through it until your legs are generally stronger.
    I was told to run less or run slower, but I find both of those impossible, so on the days it is bad, I fill the bath with about a foot of freezing cold water and sit in it for about 5 minutes, then take an ibuprofen. Works so well.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i've been running for like 4 years lol.. I still get pains in my legs if I push it, but I kinda like the pain =] because i know it's gonna rebuild stronger muscle.
    It's normal to feel soreness in the calf and thigh area for running. I also used to get a few knots in my back and soreness in my back and arms and abs.
    Running is working your whole body.

The reason your calves probably hurt is because you are carrying around a lot of extra weight, and your muscles are not used to that much weight running around...

Anyway... If you start getting intense PAIN (**not soreness**) in the front of your calves, you are probably getting shin splints, and you should take it easy and ice for 20-30 min after each run/long walk.

As for what you described above, I feel like it's up to you what to do. If you want to push through the pain-- more power to you! I push through the pain everyday, and I have gotten amazing results. You are the only one who can gauge what is right for you, but great results are going to come from pushing yourself- not from resting when you are a little sore or it hurts to perform the exercise...
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I usually have trouble with shin splints. Make sure you have good running shoes & definitely are hydrated. I usually do a warm-up, stretch, run, cool down, & stretch.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    - Make sure you are well hydrated on water, before, during, after
    - Stretch well before and after, and also try stretching each night before bed
    - I would think it would take a few weeks for your body to adjust and get used to you running
    - How do your shoes feel? A good pair of running shoes is important and can make a difference from your toes to your back
    - Are you eating much for potassium? I like to eat bananas and cantaloupe and other potassium rich foods daily. It really seems to help with leg cramps and aches.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I stopped experiencing serious burning in my calves and quads once I got my breathing under control and found a sustainable pace that allowed me to complete the running intervals without pushing myself into an anaerobic state, which was around the end of week 3 of C25K. After that my legs would still get tired, but didn't hurt - during or after the run. As of this morning I'm a graduate of the program. :happy:
  • EmmyC2
    EmmyC2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm wondering about your shoes, as well. Try going to an actual running store where they will fit you with the perfect shoes for you.
  • harmonikki
    harmonikki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This helped ALOT...Thanks...I actually usually run in the evenings cause of my schedule, plus my fiance can run with me then, but i'm finding that can be difficult sometimes especially if i've had a really hard day, or if i've not ate well, or ate to much for dinner...I decided to try the morning today, and actually really liked running this morning, it was cooler, and my core temperature was cooler, so I stayed cooler...but it doesn't seem to affect how my calves hurt being morning or evening...I know i'm jumping the gun by asking that question, but I was just wondering cause it just seems like it would get somewhat easier at some point, just wasn't sure when!!! :)

When are you running? When I first started about 3 months ago I was running early in the mornings, and in the afternoons. I've found that personally in the morning I'm really sluggish and have a really hard time keeping any type of pace. Living in Texas the afternoons are terribly horribly hot, especially if the sun is shining (which it always is) and that is also seriously detrimental to how far I'm able to go.

Knowing that I started going in the evening (I usually wait till around 8:00) and I've had HUGE success with that.

To put it in perspective, I started running (run/walk) at 350 pounds, and initially started on the c25k plan as well. My shins and legs would be on fire after runs, and I really had to take a lot of time to recover. I think that lasted probably 2 months. I'm down to around 300 now, and I'm at the point where every week it's a different part of my body that I'm pushing. One week my lungs will burn from breathing so much, the next my legs will, but it's a good burn, not pain.

Hope that helps :)
  • harmonikki
    harmonikki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice...lots of good advice so far, and as far as my shoes, I am wearing RunTones by Reebok, so that could be causing some of the "what seems like" additional pain, and I do run outside so I have small inclines that I do have to run up and down...I know i pretty much was jumping the gun, just seems like last time I attempted to start the program i ididn't have the burn as bad then...but I have some hope now that it'll start to subside some soon, and the stretches and other advice i will definitely try!!!

Thanks so much to everyone :happy:
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Everyone gave great advice, but I think you just answered your question with your last post--get new shoes! I'm assuming the RunTones are like the rest of the "toning" shoes like Sketchers and whatnot?? While they may be fine for walking (and I've heard they don't really work) they aren't doing you any good running. Your foot does enough rolling and stabalizing while running you don't want to add the extra work of balancing on the shoe! Get some proper running shoes and you'll be rocking in no time.

Welcome to the running world!