Need to lose 200 pounds! Who else is terrified?

Options
Hey guys! I need some motivation desperately. I weighed myself the other day and I am in the 390's which terrifies me. I look at my weight and all I want to do is cry. I think to myself, how can I let this happen? It was just six years ago when I left for college and I was just at 200lbs. I definitely let myself go and I have no idea how to get back on track. Its like one day I would do so well but then the next day I would order food and just eat horribly once again like I've no control. Yesterday I was doing so well. I had a big lunch but then ten minutes later goes by and I feel like im starving. No matter what, I'm always hungry and I just hate this feeling that I get....what do you do when you are having hunger pains but you just ate so you know you shouldn't eat again? How do you stay motivated? ....also if anyone here would like to add me that can definitely relate to how I am feeling, please do! and if you have a lot of weight to lose like I do, please message me and tell me your story because it would be great to know that I'm not alone.

Replies

• Melody0081
    Melody0081 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I need some motivation desperately. I weighed myself the other day and I am in the 390's which terrifies me. I look at my weight and all I want to do is cry. I think to myself, how can I let this happen? It was just six years ago when I left for college and I was just at 200lbs. I definitely let myself go and I have no idea how to get back on track. Its like one day I would do so well but then the next day I would order food and just eat horribly once again like I've no control. Yesterday I was doing so well. I had a big lunch but then ten minutes later goes by and I feel like im starving. No matter what, I'm always hungry and I just hate this feeling that I get....what do you do when you are having hunger pains but you just ate so you know you shouldn't eat again? How do you stay motivated? ....also if anyone here would like to add me that can definitely relate to how I am feeling, please do! and if you have a lot of weight to lose like I do, please message me and tell me your story because it would be great to know that I'm not alone.

• Melody0081
    Options
    Katherine I know how you feel I weigh 353 so I to have a great amount of weight to lose and I need all the help everyone out there can give me please be behind us
  • Melody0081
    Options
    I'm also scared to death to try again I've tried so many other times
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    Save your life. No one can do it for you.

I used to tell myself that hunger was what losing weight felt like.

Every day on this board people post about being wrecked by their own brains. Whatever it was you were feeling after lunch yesterday it wasn't starvation and likely wasn't hunger. Your mind is playing tricks on you.

Please do something before you do real damage to yourself.
  • besmith11
    besmith11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

I saw your post today on the forum and I wanted to reach out to you. I wanted to let you know that although I do not have as much weight to lose as you do, I still would like to be a motivator for you. I have 90 lbs. to lose. I went to the doctor because I was having issues with my menstrual cycles being off kilter for about 10 years. Next thing you know it, I'm being diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I have made quite a change in my lifestyle already.

There have been multiple days where I feel like I have been out of control but I always rely on my food tracker, diary, and some good anxiety coping mechanisms to get through this. Since I have a medical condition, I actually eat at scheduled times to keep my blood sugars stabilized, which may also help you to not be so hungry throughout the day.

Either way, I would love to be added as your friend if you would allow that.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi, Katherine!

First, by joining MFP and then by posting here, you've already achieved several NSV's (non-scale victories); you've recognized that you need to change, and you've admitted so to others, AND you've asked for help! So you've made good progress already today!

Second, I would be glad to help motivate you or anyone else who has posted in this thread, just friend me, and if you're not sure how to do that, (I couldn't figure it out for a couple weeks!), then post here and I'll friend you.

I'm 64. I have fought with my weight for 55 years. Tried every diet, fast, whatever that came along. Finally had a lap band installed in 2008, then had it removed and a gastric bypass performed in 2012. These are very helpful tools, but I still have to do all the work, and neither of them help with the stuff between my ears!

At my highest weight, I was 430. I had all the issues: high blood pressure, diabetes, aching joints, high triglycerides. My wake-up came when my doctor told me I had less than five years to live, unless I did something about my weight.

I now weigh 290.2. My successthus far is due, I believe, to a) tracking every bite, and documenting it! I cannot figure out my issues unless I have all the facts and data. (Sorry, retired engineer here... ) b) ensuring I get at least 85 ounces water in each day. I use an app, Water Time Pro, to track liquids, since 8 ounces of water is not the same as 8 ounces of coffee. c) making sure I get some exerxise in each day. I just got a Fitbit, but even before I had it, I made sure I got something in each day, even if it was only a five-minute walk. and finally, d) joining in the Community of MFP. There are a lot of wonderful people on this site, and they have really helped me in my journey. I'm part of the Fat-to-Fit Challenge; you might want to check out that group, we're divided into teams and have many separate challenges going on, and weekly weigh-ins, so we all feel accountable, but very supported. We share challenges and setbacks and triumphs.

Katherine, I'm so glad for you that you are doing something about your weight before you develop all the morbid obesity issues! I'd be glad to help; I've lost a lot, but I want to lose at least another 110 pounds. Let me know how I can help you.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You know, I feel the same way a lot of the time. I've lost 12lbs but knowing I have so much more to go makes it feel like nothing. And honestly, the first 2 qweeks I was logging I felt hungry all the time. But it wasn't that I was hungry, it was that I was cranky about logging, feeling deprived even though I wasn't, that kind of thing. It got so much better as time went by. I'm only 5 weeks in but it's a lot better now than it has been.

It's a lot of work and that's daunting. It was so easy to put the weight on, and so hard to reverse it. But it is possible, it just takes time and patience. Patience is so not one of my virtues.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    as others said, you are on the right track in coming here and trying, and the key is to keep trying, even when you fall down on your face. If you keep trying, eventually you'll succeed!

I echo the sentiment in taking baby steps. You didn't get this big overnight; you aren't going to lose it quickly. What are you doing? Have you cut out a ton of food groups? What calorie limit are you at?

Don't go to extremes; that's just a recipe for failure, especially when starting out. Don't necessarily cut any food types out, but start focusing on portion control. Look for food with a good amount of fiber and protein, and don't be afraid of fats - whole foods with protein will help you feel fuller longer. Also, if you find yourself starving, try upping your calorie intake so that you are losing about 1 lb a week. Give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to this calorie limit, then strive to lower it a little. Or even look to see what MFP says is maintenance for you, and start there, then as your body gets used to the limit, lower it a bit.

And may I also suggest that you might consider speaking to your doctor or a therapist about your relationship with food? A good therapist may be able to help you find ways to gain some control over that feeling and to learn to handle those cravings in an appropriate manner. It's just a suggestion! But I know other friends of mine who have said that they didn't realize that part of their problem was they had a poor relationship with food and that they had much better success after seeing a counselor to learn to handle it.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the trailhead! This is a rocky, tough road up some pretty steep mountains and through some dismal swamps, but the journey is worth it in the end!
  • hb177
    hb177 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with you...200 lbs to lose. I've been doing this three weeks and have lost 12lbs but it's so hard knowing that even after I lose 100lbs, I'll still be 300lbs!! Its heartbreaking. Id add you but have no idea how!
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to comment to let you know that I hear you and I believe in you.
  • AWilliams1715
    AWilliams1715 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting today and know that it's gunna be hard but I am going to so this for my self so I can be there for my girls. So stay strong you can do this. I know we are strangers and don't know each other but if you need to chat send me a message and we can talk our selfs threw it together.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I suggest, I beg, that you log all your food. All the "good" food. All the "clean" food. All the "bad" food. All the "dirty" food. We'll work on the morality and hygiene of food later, but for now just write it all down. It is when you write in your food diary honestly and accurately that you start to see the choices and you make the choices that you want to make, those choices are the beginning of the new life of healthy you.

Further, please open your diaries to the public. You're going to want to ask for help and it is really important that we see and understand your food choices before we can say anything useful.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It is so scary! However, I had to tell myself that even scarier is continuing down the same self-destructive road. YOU CAN DO IT! My suggestion is that if you feel starving, eat. Just make better choices about what it is you're eating. If you try to change too much too fast, you're going to be miserable and you'll likely give up. Slowly ease yourself into the process. If you were eating 4,000 calories yesterday, you can't expect your body to feel satisfied with 1,500 today. I love to follow others' journeys, add me if you want! :smiley:
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hi, OP, and welcome!

I didn't have as much to lose as you when I signed up on MFP, but I literally grumbled out loud the entire time I was setting up my profile because I was sure weight loss was going to rob me of the one joy in life I still had... eating! I gritted my teeth and decided I was going to do it anyway, because I felt so bad physically and knew my window of opportunity to do anything about it was closing. But as it turned out, I wasn't miserable. My initial calorie allowance with a weekly weight loss goal of 1.5 lbs/week was something like 1760- very doable for me. I'm sure your calorie allowance for 2 lbs/week will still be very generous. You're just not used to it, is all. Some ease into their deficit gradually, but even if you jump right in, it will only take your body a couple of weeks to accept that this is the way it's going to be. The only thing is, don't try to overhaul your entire diet right off the bat. Getting accustomed to your calorie allowance is the main thing for now... you can tweak your nutrition and what not all you want as you go along.

Try not to be scared... just focus on the math. :)
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I started at 378 after some downs and ups and downs I'm 284 and losing. It is easier than you fear, be consistent and log everything you will do great.