Any breastfeeding moms out there??

Options
I have a 6 month old who I'm still BFing. I did tons of research before I started dieting about how BFing moms should add 500 calories to their daily intake. I never did that... I've lost all my baby weight plus some.

But, on the other hand, my milk supply has always been low, so maybe that's why!

I'm just curious to see what other mamas have done!

Sorry, boys, if you read this and felt a little uncomfy! :wink:

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    If your milk supply is low and you want to raise it, you may want to consider adding a few healthy calories (maybe 200 or 300) back into your diet, also drink plenty of water to make sure you are hydrated.
    Are you supplementing at all with formula, or do you ever give your baby a pacifier? Either (and both) of these actions also contribute to lowering your milks supply (less demand, less milk made). If you want to raise your milk supply you may want to consider lessening access to anything other than the breast.
    Congratulations on losing your baby weight.
    FWIW, I've nursed both kiddos for over two years.
  • JenFer5
    JenFer5 Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm nursing my 5 month old :) I have to be careful to eat enough calories or my supply does drop. I set my goal as 1/2 lb loss per week and that seems to be working. I also need to drink lots of water to keep my supply up.
  • spade74
    spade74 Posts: 42
    Options
    i never added the 500 cal either. But i to have had a low milk supply, from what i've be told (by a doctor) if you don't drink alot of water and eat a good diet it will make your milk supply low. but he never said the number of calories, just eat a healthy diet.
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    Nursing mama of 4 here. I have nursed all of mine exclusively and am currently nursing my 15 month old. I don't normally add my calories for nursing because since he's older he is not nursing as much and some days it is hardly at all and some days it is a lot. Also it is notoriously hard to track and you never know if it's actually accurate.

I do agree with the above poster who said to increase calorie (make them good calories though) and water intake to increase milk supply. And nurse lots and lots of course. I would also probably not go below 1500-1600 calories. Really they say you should have at least 2000, but for me, with the amount of weight I need to lose and knowing my baby isn't solely dependent on the quality of my breastmilk for all of his nutrition, I don't mind having a lower calorie count.

There is a way on here you can add in those calories if you want/need to-when you are tracking your food just enter breastfeeding into the database and it will pop up several options
  • jschm947
    jschm947 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on losing the baby weight. I have about 10 to go yet and hoping to get there before the end of Aug!!!! Then to goal weight. :) I am BF my 4 month old. Yes heard about adding extra cals. I did... changed it to add 200 cals to my daily intake and I have an nice supply this time around. With baby 1 I didnt have this much.... happy to be storing a little now! Yup, all supply and demand. Demand more, make more. If you have baby eat a little more frequently you will make more. Or pump after you feed and that will help make more also! Congrats again and I hope to be able to say Ive lost all baby weight and more by the time my baby hits 6 months!!! Keep up the good work :)
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Way to go Momma. I wish I had cut back on the calories while BFing. I gave in to the extra hunger that it gave me, and am now battleing the bulge with a 2 1/2 year old. And awesome that your BFing.:) I believe by 6 months I was lower on supply, because baby was starting baby food at this point, so not needing as much milk. Supply and Demand. Of course stay hydrated and don't go under on your calories.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I was always told by doctors that milk supply has alot to do with hydration. They always pushed hydration at the hospital. I've always had a great milk supply. Also the milk you get in (the amount of time you spend feeding your baby when they are born) is the amount you'll have. That was one of the things I always researched being one of those moms who always worried about thier baby getting enough nutrition through breastfeeding. Some moms nurse from one breast the whole time if they can't get thier baby to nurse right. In my experience the nutrients will be there. If you don't get enough nutrition it will take it out of your own body and that is why nutrition is essential, more for the breastfeeding mom than the nursing baby. I keep taking prenatels because even though your not pregnant it is THE BEST multivitamin that I have found on the market. Hope this helps. The most important thing is (as I see you are doing) getting information and researching. If you have the book What To Expect When Your Expecting, there is alot of awesome info. in there. They even have a website. Parents.com is another good one. But you are right there is not enough info out there. The worse time I have had is getting available info. for moms who had babies and want to lose weight. I don't thing the experts do the research because there is a stigma about new moms and losing weight. Every mom, every body and every reaction to exercise and nutrition is different. Your doing great though so I wouldn't worry too much. Be blessed, I'm here for you buddy.:flowerforyou:
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my 17 mo. I am not adding extra calories for breastfeeding anymore, but before 12mo it is definitely a good idea for your own health. I read not to go below 1600-1800 calories while breastfeeding. I found switch feeding to be the most helpful for increasing supply. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
  • linemansgirl
    linemansgirl Posts: 152
    Options
    I am currently nursing my 13 month old baby boy (as in right now!!! :laugh: ) !!!!! I nursed my daughters until they were 2- 2.5. I lost over 100 pounds while nursing my oldest dd. At that point I was eating 600 calories a day and exercising AND I was 21 and stupid!!! :noway: She was healthy and happy, but I can't even IMAGINE what I did to myself. I have been fortunate to never have supply issues no matter what. I kept the weight off for several years, then gained it all back during pregnancy number three. :ohwell: I lost it all after daughter number four by eating from 1500-1600 calories a day, a MUCH more healthy way to go! I upped my calories even a bit more after my son and I have managed to get back down to my goal weight.