Fishing really burns THAT MANY calories?

Options
I just recently started fishing and maybe it's because I'm having fun while I do it, but I just don't see how fishing burns that many calories. Can anyone explain?

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Depends on your fishing. Bank fishing is leisurely. Fly fishing is active. Pulling a buzz bait across the water is going to burn more calories than a bobber and a worm.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How many do you think it burns?? If you are deep sea fishing and hauling in a marlin or swordfish on your own, then you could be burning a lot. But I know an awful lot of overweight people that spend way too much time fishing from a boat or river bank to believe that your average fishing burns much more than sitting there doing nothing.
  • KJackson50
    KJackson50 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I fish from a pier standing up using a variety of lures and bait.

I just ask because I went to put "fishing" as exercise on my diary. Not thinking it was going to be much I was surprised that 2 hrs of "fishing, general" burns over 500 calories.

I'm not saying the site is wrong, I was just wondering about the science behind it.
  • KJackson50
    Options
    How many do you think it burns?? If you are deep sea fishing and hauling in a marlin or swordfish on your own, then you could be burning a lot. But I know an awful lot of overweight people that spend way too much time fishing from a boat or river bank to believe that your average fishing burns much more than sitting there doing nothing.

I'm not sure, I'm thinking maybe 200 - 300 at the most for a couple hours. I factor in standing, the motions with my arms from holding the rod. If I catch something of course I have to reel it in and grab it. Again I'm just fishing from a pier with fish weighing probably 5-7 pounds at the most.

I'm overweight myself, but of course I'm not sitting down when I fish
  • KJackson50
    Options
    bump

maybe I should rephrase the question.

Why does fishing burn as much calories as it does? From what I understand, standing def burns calories. Holding the rod and the motions you have to do with it burns calories, and casting burns calories.

I just wanted a thourgh explanation because everytime I fish and add it to the site I feel like I'm cheating or something, lol. Not to discount my exercise, but like I said in an earlier post, I didn't know I was burning that much!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how many calories fishing 'really' burns, but in February when we were fishing in Australia, I was thinking 'crikey this is a great bicep workout' while I was reeling in my bonito one after the other :)