Weight Gain After Day of Long Workout

Options
This morning I had weighed 169.1 lbs. I stayed that weight for a few days. Then I started my account here, and worked out very hard at the gym today, yet I gained two pounds. What happened? And I did all cardio, basically. I stuck under my calories, drank more than usual. How is this happening?

Replies

• Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Water retention by your muscles. Don't sweat it.
  • KatherineVictoria
    Options
    Your body may need to relax. I find that if I work out really hard my muscles never relax and I end up weighing more. Remember to take atleast 1 day off a week. It will relax your body and make your next workout even better :)
  • jesscorinne
    Options
    MUSCLE GAIN! That is the only good gaining! more muscle burns more calories through out the day! So in the long run it will lead to more weigh loss..
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are probably holding more fluid as they repair. Post exercise inflammation is normal, happens to everyone. Keep drinking water to help flush out the toxins.
  • thefatqueen
    Options
    May I suggest that you do not weigh daily? Give yourself a break, and weigh at the most 1x per week. I prefer weighing in at least 2 weeks or more apart. To me it gives a more accurate picture of your weight and fitness.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    . I stuck under my calories, drank more than usual. How is this happening?

All that liquid, and food you have been eating weighs a lot ......one suggestion - don't micro analyze your results on the scale - give it a week, and then weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you start eating and drinking....
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Don't stress its totally normal.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    That happens to me after long bike rides. I can bike 65 miles, come home and I've gained 3 pounds. Muscles retain fluid after intense exercise. I freaked out till I finally caught on to that.
  • madelinescheihing
    Options
    Thanks guys! It really helps with the advice. I didn't know about the water retention.
  • hikeout470
    Options
    I am experiencing quite a bit of this lately, just started HIIT from a long distance training history. Problem is I am craving salt like the ****ens. Doesn't help much.
  • candiigraham
    candiigraham Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The scale is NOT your friend. Just this morning I did my weekly weigh in and was very pleased. I didn't eat, ran some errands and went to the gym and worked out for 30 minutes only. I came home and the d*** scale said I was 10 pounds heavier. I keep saying that I'm not gonna step on the scale again, just gonna gauge with my clothes, but it's hard to do. Just weigh in weekly and onnly once. (this message is for me to):wink:
  • hikeout470
    Options
    I am starting to measure, hips, waist, thing, calf once a week, keeping a log. This past week I lost 1/2 inch everywhere except the calf - only 1/4 inch and already pretty lean..