What's the sketch with peanut butter

Options

Replies

• asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    To me, it's totally worth the extra calories (or in my case, kilojoules). I like adding it to porridge and it keeps me satiated until lunch time.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love peanut butter & eat it every day, sometimes twice. Like others, I usually stick to 10-30 g serves. I eat it either in a smoothie, on toast with honey & banana, or as a pre-workout snack. It's creamy, filling, yum and worth the calories!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    28 g roasted chicken breast 8.3g protein
    28g regular creamy peanut butter 7 g protein
    Why is peanut butter not a good source of protein?
    The calories? Other qualities?
    Please explain why it is not a good protein choice and what inexpensive, readily available, shelf stable foods would be better choices?
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter protein every day in my smoothie. It adds protein to my smoothie, which also has kale, 2 cups frozen fruit, water, ginger, tumeric, and flax seed. I eat my smoothie after I swim every day or if I do a different work out. I love the taste of the peanut butter protein. And you don't get all the fat and oil in there.
  • LinserSE
    LinserSE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Please explain why it is not a good protein choice and what inexpensive, readily available, shelf stable foods would be better choices?
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Can we please let to rest the notion that peanut butter is a good source of protein? It's not.

Okay, humor me guys.

Clarification on behalf of all: it is A source of protein; not necessarily THE BEST source of protein. Its a plus side to eating a tasty food you like or wouldnt traditionally allow yourself.

If you want more protein to show up in your macros per day it can be an enjoyable or sneaky way to obtain it without chicken, seafood, milk, eggs, etc sources of protein (although it may not be the only or most efficient way to go about it).
  • LinserSE
    LinserSE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    LinserSE wrote: »
    Can we please let to rest the notion that peanut butter is a good source of protein? It's not.

Okay, humor me guys.

Clarification on behalf of all: it is A source of protein; not necessarily THE BEST source of protein. Its a plus side to eating a tasty food you like or wouldnt traditionally allow yourself.

If you want more protein to show up in your macros per day it can be an enjoyable or sneaky way to obtain it without chicken, seafood, milk, eggs, etc sources of protein (although it may not be the only or most efficient way to go about it).

I think of it as a fat with a protein bonus.

And I think that's a fabulous way to, the fat is actually the reason I dont eat peanut butter ever Dx too had to balance that fat content with my normal daily diet...:c
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Okay, humor me guys.

And I think that's a fabulous way to, the fat is actually the reason I dont eat peanut butter ever Dx too had to balance that fat content with my normal daily diet...:c

Same. Hard to hit my fat macro if I'm using PB. I rarely eat PB.

And I tried PB2. Blech. :s
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Okay, humor me guys.

Same. Hard to hit my fat macro if I'm using PB. I rarely eat PB.

And I tried PB2. Blech. :s

you didn't like PB2?! I was super impressed with it! I get the chocolate kind and put it on chocolate rice cakes for a "fix". so good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love it, think it's reasonably healthy (although I prefer almonds, walnuts, and cashews and butters made from them), think nuts in general are healthy, and would also say that nuts and nutbutters are super high cal and therefore need to be consumed in moderation unless you are lucky enough to have a very high TDEE.

High calories does not make something not healthy.

Also, 100 g is a crazy amount.

And I think of nuts as a source of healthy fats. It has a little protein so can be a nice bonus there, but isn't a very good source of protein unless you have a vegan diet where they can be helpful as one of a variety of protein sources.
  • ngoziish
    ngoziish Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with PB if eaten in moderation. I put at least 1-2tbs in my smoothies in the morning. I also put that much on my toasted bread or bagels. There are varieties of PB out there, but you just have to shop for the kind you like. Some people don't the texture some due to how it feels in their mouth. Either way is a good source for fat. Unlike every food out there, you need to eat it in moderation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

As 100 g of peanut butter is not a serving size, neither is 28 g of chicken. I usually have 100 g of chicken, which is 31 g of protein.

But since serving sizes are individual, let's compare protein per calories.

200 calories of Smucker's PB (32 g) = 8 g of protein
    200 calories of roasted chicken breast (121 g) = 38 g of protein

Since chicken has more than four times the amount of protein of peanut butter per calorie, it is by far a superior source of protein than PB.

I'm not sure why "shelf stable" is a requirement, but canned tuna, salmon, and chicken meet that criteria.

If I were vegetarian, I would look to cottage cheese as a source of protein.

If I were vegan, I would look to legumes as a source of protein.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

As 100 g of peanut butter is not a serving size, neither is 28 g of chicken. I usually have 100 g of chicken, which is 31 g of protein.

Since chicken has more than four times the amount of protein of peanut butter per calorie, it is by far a superior source of protein than PB.

I'm not sure why "shelf stable" is a requirement, but canned tuna, salmon, and chicken meet that criteria.

Peanuts are a legume.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    donhuzayfa wrote: »
    so whenever you see people eating healthy peanut butter pops up, however just seen the whole earth peanut butter which clocks in at 600 calories per 100grams! even though it's 100% peanuts...whats the story with peanut butter yayy or nayy?

It's yummy and calorie dense. End of story!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter almost daily, either on bread (gasp) or in plain or Greek yogurt (I know everyone thinks that it's disgusting but I love it). Peanut butter is one of the few food items I consume specifically because of the fats and the protein boost is appealing too.

A serving of my brand of PB is 15g not 100g. Yes, meat sourced proteins are higher in protein than peanut butter, but I have meat sourced protein at lunch and dinner and don't care to have it 3-4 times a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Peanuts are a legume.

Technically, yes.

Their nutrition profile is more similar to nuts than to other legumes.

Peanut butter does not provide many grams of protein per calorie. Thus, it would be tough to get all the protein I normally try to get in a meal from just peanut butter. Maybe some don't mind having a low protein meal regularly (since they get so much at other meals) and so could rely on peanut butter as their main source at that meal. The issue is that some seem to think it's high protein per cal or the equivalent of the same calories as some higher protein food, like chicken, and that's clearly not true.

This is not IMO a slam against peanut butter (or other nut butters, as I prefer them). I try to eat nuts or nut butter daily, and would count peanuts as a nut for that purpose.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Eh, for me, peanut butter is a snack or a treat, rather than a meal, so while it's not a good source of protein, compared with meat or other typical meal-proteins, it's a good source of protein compared with the snack I might otherwise want (because I have a sweet tooth, so I'd be headed for the oreos).
  • rlarkin591
    rlarkin591 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    It just depends on whether you can keep it in check and if it is worth the calories to you. For me personally, it isn't. I switched to powdered peanut butter.

Powdered Peanut Butter??? Never heard of it.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and cannot be trusted with it. I've tried the little Jif-to-Go containers; the only way that works for me is if there's only one in the house. I just threw out the last open jar, in fact. Maybe someday I'll be able to eat it sanely, but right now, no.