Help!!!! How do I stop

Options
Im trying to figure out how to stop eating when I wake up in the middle of the night. Its not every night but its most nights. I log the food I eat at those times but I want to stop doing it all together. I take meds that help me sleep and relieve my migraine pain, could that be the reason im waking to eat at night? My daughter was on the same meds and I know from experience that its part of my weight gain. However I am going to work past the meds and hopefully be off them soon. In the meantime any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance for reading

Tammy

Replies

• travelgirl96
    Options
    Have a light snack an hour before bed - like a few crackers with peanut butter. when you wake up during the night, drink a glass or two of water and try to go back to sleep. you may feel like its hunger when it could be dehydration. hope this helps.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Well it will take work to stop...however when you are waking up in the night.....make sure what you are eating......is healthy and very low cal.....try munching on cucumber, celery....raw veg would be best I think.

Good luck :)
  • sarajane15
    Options
    Keep water by your bed so you don't have a reason to go in to the kitchen at night
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating during the day? You may need to "up" your calories..The whole idea is not to starve yourself..but to eat better..
  • lelomo
    lelomo Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree about the water. I find that if I am drinking plenty of water, I'm not as hungry. However, I'm still working on that. I can know what to do, but doing it is another matter.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Eat some complex carbs before you go to bed. Just make sure they fit into your daily intake.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    JUST DON"T DO IT. I had the same problem, and I worked through it. you can too. The carbs before bed will help.
  • Michi63
    Michi63 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to stop. Why not plan for it, make a healthy snack before hand and then have something to eat if you choose. Something need to be accomodated for and others do not. If this is something you are having a difficult time controlling than plan for it until you come to a place where it doesn't matter anymore. :flowerforyou:
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What are you taking? Some of those sleep drugs contain warnings that sleep eating is a side effect. Talk to your doctor about other options if that is the case. You can't control something like that. Maybe look deeper into your symptoms and find a healthier alternative other than drugs.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this in the past. For me, it became a habit and I did it off-and-on for years. I was able to eventually break it, though, thankfully.

Here are a few ideas: Make sure to eat something a little bit before you go to bed so there's no way you'll be able to tell yourself that you're hungry during the night. Write notes to yourself that say whatever might help you (for me it would be like "You can eat at 6 AM" and "You won't be hungry until the morning") and leave them all along the path from your bed to the kitchen. Have a bowl of cut-up vegetable sticks (preferably celery or something extra-low cal like that) and if you MUST eat, that's what you have.

Good luck and just keep on trying...it's tough but you can do it!
  • jamesysmom
    jamesysmom Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas I will try some of them , The meds im on are this list is kind of long I think

Amitriptyline 50 mg or brand name elavil, its a mild antidepresent that they are using to help keep my chronic pain and migraines at bay
    simvastatin 10 mg at bed time for cholesterol ( another reason im here is to get off this )
    Lasix 20 mg as needed for edema

I also take maxalt 10 mg sublingual as needed for migraine flare ups
    I also have hydrocodone for when my back acts up I recently pulled a muscle

I would like to get where im not taking as much meds I keep water by my bed but the snacks are in a container in my room because if I keep them in the kitchen my kids will eat them all in a hr or so. Im just gonna try to control myself I know I can do it .
    Thanks agian for all the ideas and encouragement it means a lot