Sometimes feeling bored to workout for longer times...

Options
Therefore I have split my total workout into 2 or 3 sessions -

1. First session is the elliptical workout for 20 minutes in the morning.
2. Second session is 15 min. rowing machine + gym machines workout in the afternoon.
3. Third workout is walk 2.5 miles around the neighborhood in the evening.

Does the above seem to be a good plan? Will it give the same effect as that of doing them all at once?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Unless you're training for an endurance event, that works.
    Personally i'd use mostly freeweights. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Whatever works...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Stupid question but why not just do a more focused and intense workout over a shorter period of time?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Will it give the same effect as that of doing them all at once?

A lot depends on what effect you're wanting to have from it.
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If your aim is general fitness and strength I'd recommend to do compound lifts 2-3 times per week: e.g. deadlift, lat pull down/pull up, row, bench press/pushup and squat as well as cardio 2-3 times per week for a 20-30 minute session. If you get bored with ordinary steady state cardio try interval training (can be HIIT but doesn't have to be), classes or participate in a sport. It may also help to set specific and attainable goals for yourself, e.g. being able to run 3 miles within 3 months from now.
  • jayashreeravi1
    jayashreeravi1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Xymheia wrote: »
    If your aim is general fitness and strength I'd recommend to do compound lifts 2-3 times per week: e.g. deadlift, lat pull down/pull up, row, bench press/pushup and squat as well as cardio 2-3 times per week for a 20-30 minute session. If you get bored with ordinary steady state cardio try interval training (can be HIIT but doesn't have to be), classes or participate in a sport. It may also help to set specific and attainable goals for yourself, e.g. being able to run 3 miles within 3 months from now.

A very useful reply! I am going to try the deadlit, lat pull down/pull up, etc that you mentioned. I need a change from elliptical and walking workouts every single day! Thanks.
  • jayashreeravi1
    Options
    Will it give the same effect as that of doing them all at once?

A lot depends on what effect you're wanting to have from it.

I want to lose 50 lbs weight and as much body fat as possible, since currently I am at 40% BF.
  • jayashreeravi1
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Stupid question but why not just do a more focused and intense workout over a shorter period of time?

I am not the person who would exert myself at maximum capacity every day and feel motivated to repeat them... that is why, an easier route for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do that because it would require going to the gym 2x a day and taking a shower 2x a day, and that would be just a horrible use of my time.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

I am not the person who would exert myself at maximum capacity every day and feel motivated to repeat them... that is why, an easier route for me.

If you don't enjoy short intense exercise and get bored with longer gym sessions, it sounds like exercise might not really be your bag. I support and respect your desire to get active but since your primary goal is weight loss you do understand that exercise time isn't really necessary to achieve that? Diet alone will do the work for you.

Exercise provides more general health benefits with the side impact that it also provides a little boost on the weight loss side.

Bottom line...since it sounds like you have to force yourself to exercise, understand that you can still lose the weight you want to lose without it. If you reach a point where you get tired of the struggle and fall off the exercise bus, it doesn't mean that your weight loss efforts have to stop.

Alternatively, rather than splitting your workouts into multiple sessions to avoid boredom (which doesn't seem very sustainable), find an activity that you actually enjoy.