BMR and Calorie Intake - recommendations? Reaching goals?

Options
Height 5' 3" 160cm Age 20 Female
I started my diet on the last week of april with 57.5-58 kgs 127-128 pounds, at this point I didn't do any meal planning or calorie tracking but was hitting the gym maybe 1-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes of treadmill/cardio. By the first week of may I lost 0.5kgs (1.1pounds) and started counting my calories and exercising more frequently 3-4 times a week. I was on an extreme diet of eating only around 1000-1200 calories a day. Realized I was not doing it right and decided to calculate my BMR and get more serious with my diet. With my new BMR calculated calorie plan per day and exercises, in the beginning (I'm sure dieters will know what I mean) I gained weight due to muscle increase and calorie increase from my relatively (extremely) low intake of calories for 7-10 days.

When I was around 56kgs I calculated my BMR. It was around 1385.7 kcal
And then multipled 1.55 to get around 2148 kcal.
Xlittle to no exercise = *1.2
X light exercise (1-3 days per week) = BMR X 1.375
Moderate exercise (3-5 days per week) X1.55 =
And for weight loss purposes, I took 60-75 grams of protein and ate around (1663~1905~2148)-500 = 1163~1405~1648 depending on the amount of exercise I was doing that day/week.

By the first week of June, I was 53.5kgs. And I ate around 1400-1600 calories per day.
I re-calculated my BMR at this point. It was 1362.18 kcal. My protein intake was at around 30% of my calorie intake (this is when I started using myfitnesspal. My daily calorie intake (excluding the negative numbers I got from exercise and steps) was (1634~1872~2111)-500= 1134~1372~1611. I was still eating around 1400 calories a day, and tried to stay above my BMR of 1362.18.

By the first week of July, I was 52.2kgs. (but was using BMR from 52.4kgs) my BMR was 1351kcal.
I was using all sorts of websites for information since I don't have a Personal trainer.
[Recommended Calorie intake (no exercise) 1634.61
With exercise (1-3 days per week) 1858.48
Moderate Exercise (3-5 days pre week) 2095.011 ] - 500cal
[Recommended Calorie intake (no exercise) 1634.61
With exercise (1-3 days per week) 1858.48
Moderate Exercise (3-5 days pre week) 2095.011]

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/weight-loss-calculator/#result
WEB1 to lose weight eat to reach 46kg in 3 months
Light(1-3) 1136 cals
Moderate (3-5) 1350
Hard (6-7) 1565

to lose weight in 2 months

Try a few assumptions for moderate exercise
Moderate active BMR - 500 calories = 1594 calories October 4
MABMR - 25% = 1571 September 29
MABMR - 30%= 1466 September 14th

I used data as such to set my goal calorie on myfitnesspal iphone APP to 1458 kcal.
My goal for macros was 35% carbs 35% fat and 30%protein during the mid-last week of June.
And from the last week of June I changed it to 35% carbs 30% fat and 35% protein.
Then in the beginning of the second week of July, I changed it back to the original 35,35,30.
Since yesterday I changed it to 40%carbs 30% fat and 30% protein.

My question for you guys.
If my BMR is 1351 calories, and with the exercise factor included and weight loss plan, I get a result of 1458 kcal, on the myfitnesspal app, should I be watching the Food intake calories or the net calories on the very right that also adds the exercise of the day (how much extra calories I've lost).
For example, yesterday with a goal of 1458 kcal, I ate 1497 calories and burned 237 from exercise. And on the app it says that I have 198 calories remaining. Should I be eating 198 calories more in order to prevent yo-yo effect of weight loss? (I know that if I eat too less my body will only store fat.) Or should I be watching the number on the second to the very left which is my net calorie intake through food during the day.

My goal weight is 45-46kgs, so I hope you guys can help me!
Do tell me if I'm eating way too less (which could bring opposite effects of weight loss due to lack of nutrients and body's natural habit of storing fat when eating too less)!!
Or if I'm not calculating it right.
Also do tell me if I should be watching calorie intake, or net calorie of the day including exercise.

If there are any nutritionists or personal trainers out there or successful dieters, please give me a hand!!
Love you all and keep working hard!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    TL; DR

... Can I have the cliff notes?
  • biosparkle
    biosparkle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Should I be looking at the food calorie intake or the green number on the right that subtracts my calories burned from exercising?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    With just over 10kg to lose set yourself to 1lb per week, choose the activity level that is relevant to your home/work life without exercise (MFP's NEAT Calculation is different to TDEE method). Log your exercise seperately in the MFP or sync a device if you use one.

Be conservative eating your exercise calories back if you're using the database or a non-HR fitness tracker/machine reading, a good place to start is eat 50% back for around 1 month and evaluate after 4 weeks, if you're losing more than expected eat more, if you're losing less eat less of them.

It's good that you've been doing a bit of research but don't overcomplicate it.

How MFP calculates:

2ujfcyma8k0e.jpg
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    That is very long and unfortunately I think many will get lost in the numbers before reaching the question.

BUT if you've figured out a calorie goal to eat (1450ish) based on TDEE where you have already factored exercise, then eat 1450. 1450 total and not 1450 net.

But from skimming the first chapter, you are aiming for 2 pounds loss per week. If you feel that 1450ish is not enough fuel/food for you, then drop down to 1.5 pounds goal and that will give you another 250 calories per day to eat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Your goal weight is underweight for your height, and you were already within a healthy range. If you're unhappy with your body composition, look in to recomp. Perhaps stop making things so complicated and plug your stats in to MFP for maintenance and start a progressive lifting program
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    PS your body does not store fat if you eat too little. Not possible. Potential effects of eating too little would be hunger, lack of energy. You may feel unable to complete your workouts. In that case, you could try a different combination of macros or eating more.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    PS-I just did the conversion. You are 5'5" and are aiming for 99 pounds? My daughter is almost 5'1", 98-100 pounds, and according to her doctor she is on the low end of what is considered a healthy weight based on her height. Why are you trying to be underweight?
  • biosparkle
    biosparkle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks StaciMarie1974 for clarifying! I'll stick to my current plan and eat appro 1450 a day! :) Thanks to all of those that replied to this long hard-to-read post haha!