Low carb keto ?

Options
So I heard of some one today that she got to her goal in 3months using this diet ... Does it work? Can some one who does this diet comment please?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes from a calorie deficit, not a certain macro breakdown. Some people feel more satiated on a higher fat diet.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I lost weight just by sticking to my daily caloric goal. And... I could eat my plain sweet potato.
    It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as it fits.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Keto, or any diet for that matter, all operate on the same basic premise: caloric deficit. So calories in vs. calories out. Provided you maintain this in a favorable ratio, what you eat is of little consequence in the context of weight loss. If you consistency stay in a deficit, you lose weight.

Probably your first step should be to calculate your TDEE or total daily energy expenditure. There are numerous places online to accomplish this. Once you are armed with this information, you can easily formulate a plan to stay in a calorie deficit. What you choose to eat to accomplish this is your personal choice, but just be aware that Keto is no magical methodology to this end. It's just a fad. You can eat a diet of 100% carbs and lose the same amount of weight
  • sabern
    sabern Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Keto has been around for many, many years and still going stronger then ever..
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes from a calorie deficit, not a certain macro breakdown. Some people feel more satiated on a higher fat diet.

This^ X infinity. There is no magical diet for fat loss.
  • scgfitlife
    scgfitlife Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did Keto for over a year. I do not do it anymore (nothing against it) but I did lose 50 pounds in that year while it took me over 3 years just to lose 40. I am 5'6" and went from 198-143. I researched the crap out of it and did not fill my meals with junk just because it was KETO approved. The higher fat diet kept me full longer which in return I did not lead me to binge eating. Remember, everyone is different.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If fat is filling for you and you don't mind eliminate carbs, then it's a viable option. But it will not work faster than any other diet in terms of fat loss (albeit, you will lose some extra water up front the reduction of glycogen/water.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I could never do it, I never feel satisfied without carbs. Just stay in a caloric deficit and you will lose weight. It's really that simple.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It works in the same way any other diet works...for many people, it results in a calorie deficit by default since they're pretty much having almost zero of a whole macro-nutrient.

IMO, it's extremely aggressive and would be difficult to maintain unless you like to eat a lot of fat and some protein and have little interest in vegetables, fruit, grains, or starches.

Keep in mind that vegetables are carbs...keto adherents eat vegetables, but in very small quantities.
  • slantmaster
    slantmaster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are multiple body types and I would say about 2 main diet styles that I have found. I also have found a nonscientific correlation between body shapes--- people with hourglass tend to have a keto-friendly body type and those with apple tend to have a carb-friendly body type. Again. Nonscientific.

Some people store carbs more easily, others primarily burn carbs and need them or they feel very lethargic. People who do well on Ketogenic diets find that they gain weight incredibly easy, and even when eating a healthy carb-rich diet, feel too exhausted to do heavy cardio exercise like running/jogging/dancing. When a person who is fit for a keto diet switches to it, I'd say within a month they feel an abundance of energy, but often in short intense bursts, which is why HIIT (stuff like sprinting) and weightlifting, works so well for keto-body types.

It WILL work faster than a high-carb diet that has the same amount of calories if you're body type is the kind that prefers that food, no way to know until you try it out. I think the main thing that effects it is the elimination of sugar...some people's body's just don't process sugar the same way. That's why there is a such thing as diabetes. If your body is very sensitive to sugar, keto really helps the process along. I did Keto (and am resuming it) and in 3 months lost 30lbs. I was not hungry, logged all of my food, and met my recommended calories. I'd say, if you're a carb body type though, you will not see weight loss as quickly, will feel tired and sluggish, then you know you got to go the other dieting route.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    hbxd17cr8edb.gif
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There are multiple body types and I would say about 2 main diet styles that I have found. I also have found a nonscientific correlation between body shapes--- people with hourglass tend to have a keto-friendly body type and those with apple tend to have a carb-friendly body type. Again. Nonscientific.

Some people store carbs more easily, others primarily burn carbs and need them or they feel very lethargic. People who do well on Ketogenic diets find that they gain weight incredibly easy, and even when eating a healthy carb-rich diet, feel too exhausted to do heavy cardio exercise like running/jogging/dancing. When a person who is fit for a keto diet switches to it, I'd say within a month they feel an abundance of energy, but often in short intense bursts, which is why HIIT (stuff like sprinting) and weightlifting, works so well for keto-body types.

It WILL work faster than a high-carb diet that has the same amount of calories if you're body type is the kind that prefers that food, no way to know until you try it out. I think the main thing that effects it is the elimination of sugar...some people's body's just don't process sugar the same way. That's why there is a such thing as diabetes. If your body is very sensitive to sugar, keto really helps the process along. I did Keto (and am resuming it) and in 3 months lost 30lbs. I was not hungry, logged all of my food, and met my recommended calories. I'd say, if you're a carb body type though, you will not see weight loss as quickly, will feel tired and sluggish, then you know you got to go the other dieting route.

There is actual science that doesn't support the body type thing. But the difference in people comes down to insulin sensitive and insulin resistance.. those who are IS tend to do well on carb diets, those with IR are better on low carb. Grant it, protein is key in both while hypocaloric.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It seems that just about every low carb or Keto related thread I ever read here pretty much always contains a healthy portion of unproven conjecture at best, and rank pseudoscientific nonsense with ZERO clinical validity at worst. Not to be too flippant, but after a period of time it just becomes comical.