Any correlation between dieting and bruising?!

Options
I have no idea if the two are related, but I've noticed since I started dieting I am covered in bruises!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Lol, yes. People who usually diet, tend to add exercise. And that causes you to bump more things into your body.
    I run into bars, machines, dumbbell racks and benches all the time somewhere in the day in the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lorimichelle80
    lorimichelle80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That would make total sense but to be honest I haven't incorporated exercise into my routine yet. I've been dieting for 5 weeks now. 10 pounds down. Just reducing calories.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Here is a list of possible reasons.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/05/11/bruising-easily.aspx
    Careful with the cabbage wrap advice at the bottom, since this doctor is a bit quacky. But the bullet list including vitamin c is pretty accurate.

• lorimichelle80
    lorimichelle80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Since Mercola is a total whackadoodle here is some info from WebMD:

Getting Older

Do you bruise more easily now than you did when you were younger? Totally normal. As you age, your skin gets thinner and loses the protective layer of fat that acts as a cushion when you bump into something. Also, your blood vessels get more fragile. Both of these things mean you get more bruises.

Some Medicines and Supplements

If you take aspirin or a blood thinner, don't be surprised by the occasional black-and-blue mark. Some supplements, like fish oil and ginkgo, can do it too.

Steroids like prednisone can also cause easy bruising, because they thin the skin. If you notice this happening, don't stop taking your medication, but do talk to your doctor about it.

Low Vitamin C

This nutrient is essential for healing, so if you don't get enough, you may bruise easily. You may also notice it takes a long time for cuts or scrapes to get better.

It's rare to have extremely low levels of vitamin C, but it's more likely to happen if you're older or you smoke.

It Runs in Your Family

If you, your mom, and your sister all turn black and blue from the tiniest bump, it may be a family thing. Some people (it's usually women) just have more fragile blood vessels, and that makes them more likely to bruise, especially on their upper arms, thighs, or butt. It may seem scary, but if you feel fine and don't have any other symptoms, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Sun Damage

If you've been a sun worshipper all your life, you may notice your skin bruises more easily. That's because over time, the sun slowly weakens your skin and the tiny blood vessels underneath it.

These bruises are a little different. They aren't caused by bumping into something, they don't usually feel tender when you touch them, and they take longer to heal. You're most likely to see them on the backs of your hands and arms.

Since it seems to have started after you began to eat a reduced calorie diet, I would look into the Vitamin C thing or if you started taking supplements like fish oil.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've had similar issues. I notice when I diet I tend not to eat a lot of red meats. My iron will get kinda low so bulk up the leafy greens or try vitamins/supplements. Even pre diet, I usually am in the lower range of normal red blood cell count!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Anemia causes easy bruising...a lot of people who go on diets, particularly very low calorie diet, and particularly if they're avoiding meat end up with anemia...
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Anemia causes easy bruising...a lot of people who go on diets, particularly very low calorie diet, and particularly if they're avoiding meat end up with anemia...

even lowish iron without full blown anemia can lead to increased bruising. for me, as a pescetarian, that's usually the culprit
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I stopped getting random bruises when I started dieting, and I think it was because I started to eat better. Is it possible that you're lacking in one or more nutrients?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Get it checked out anyway. It could be one of the minor issues that people are telling you. Probably is. But it's also a symptom of certain kinds of cancer and it's probably a good idea to rule that out early.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah, there are several reasons you could be bruising, most common after diet change is too much or too little iron.But there are lots of vitamins and minerals that the lack of or too much of will cause issues with vascular system. Including ones that will react with medications, or medications that you might not need as much of, if you aren't eating as much.
    If it continues or gets worse, talk to your Dr. and bring your MFP journal with, to show him your diet, as well as a listof ALL medications and supplements you are taking.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I've always been an easy bruiser (lol?) but it's gotten more noticeable with weight loss. I often have to think to remember where that bruise came from. I've been checked by the doctor multiple times and always come back clear of testable issues. I'm just accident prone and a bruiser. :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Get it checked out anyway. It could be one of the minor issues that people are telling you. Probably is. But it's also a symptom of certain kinds of cancer and it's probably a good idea to rule that out early.

Also a symptom of a half dozen different hard to diagnose autoimmune conditions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Ya, I'm anemic and bruise more easily when I'm not getting enough iron. I have to take considerably more than the RDA to stay in Low Normal. I have to ask that my iron levels be tested during routine blood work, as this is apparently not routine.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ya, I'm anemic and bruise more easily when I'm not getting enough iron. I have to take considerably more than the RDA to stay in Low Normal. I have to ask that my iron levels be tested during routine blood work, as this is apparently not routine.

I try to give blood every couple of months so my hemoglobin levels are tested then. I did have an issue with serious anemia so I still get my hemoglobin and ferritin tested once a year during regular blood work, which is more accurate than the finger stick they do at the blood center. If I go below 12 at the blood center, my doctor will order a blood test to be sure.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You might want to see a doctor and get blood work. It could be a particular med or it could be a disease. You should get it checked out so you know for sure.